Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think the CIPA rating is 700 or more but there have been a couple of testers saying they shot more than twice that number and still had battery life left.

Is there any data on the battery life in Z9…

I think the CIPA rating is 700 or more but there have been a couple of testers saying they shot more than twice that number and still had battery life left.

Live Discussion wrt posts above
Here are some sections I flagged in the Youtube recording.
[...]
1,37:00 CIPA Ratings for extreme use ie maxing out camera

In the video with Thom that fcotterill posted about, Thom explains how you can extrapolate actual runtime from the CIPA data, and I think he suggested about five hours.

Last edited:
Thanks for flagging again...
This page is arguably a useful anchor of a new thread, as TH doesn't miss much and skims off the dross from feeds...

updates since shared earlier, include:
New The first publication I know of that claims to have evaluated raw files (in China; not specified which type, but probably Lossless Compressed), reports that the dynamic range is similar to the Z7, perhaps with a little loss of highlight capability. (To those that think this seems strange, remember that the D850 and Z7 models have a non-linear highlight range at the extreme.)

New A Chinese site reports that Nikon may improve buffer capability with a firmware update.

New What is sustained write speed, and how do I find it?

New Can the MH-33 charge all EN-EL18 type batteries?

New How long does it take to charge an EN-EL18D?

New
There's also a new Custom Setting that allows you to set parameters optimal for night vision. You can set the menus and overlays to red on black instead of white on black, and set the overall display to a warm red look to help preserve night vision.

Independently I noticed a few important changes in Menus, including separate Network page, as well as Toggle switching becoming possible on some items... see the Nikon Canada TV discussion yesterday...

Is there any data on the battery life in Z9…
Battery life is about double the Z7ii. The new EN-EL18d battery has 30% more capacity than the EN-EL18c. In the camera, that means 3000-5000 frames for action depending on how you shoot. Bursts take little more power than single shots, so if you are shooting at 20 fps or shooting 8k30p video, you will get very long battery life.

Several of the people who tested the camera reported a single battery was adequate for the entire day. One reported that they used one battery for 3-4 days of testing - because their contact at Nikon forgot to bring the charger. :)

Battery life is about double the Z7ii. The new EN-EL18d battery has 30% more capacity than the EN-EL18c. In the camera, that means 3000-5000 frames for action depending on how you shoot. Bursts take little more power than single shots, so if you are shooting at 20 fps or shooting 8k30p video, you will get very long battery life.

Several of the people who tested the camera reported a single battery was adequate for the entire day. One reported that they used one battery for 3-4 days of testing - because their contact at Nikon forgot to bring the charger. :)
Thank you 😊

" New A Chinese site reports that Nikon may improve buffer capability with a firmware update. "

Not being a troll :)

With the fastest cards the camera can capture 1500-1800+ images in a burst. What more would you need or want if you can capture a 1000 images without hitting a wall in the buffer? I'm trying to think of a scenario where this would be practical or needed... help me out. :) If you shoot jpeg, I would imagine the shots would be unlimited.

Hatch

I think it's the 14 bit compressed raw buffer, which stands at about 80 shots with the fastest CFE cards.

" New A Chinese site reports that Nikon may improve buffer capability with a firmware update. "

With the fastest cards the camera can capture 1500-1800+ images in a burst. What more would you need or want if you can capture a 1000 images without hitting a wall in the buffer? I'm trying to think of a scenario where this would be practical or needed... help me out. :) If you shoot jpeg, I would imagine the shots would be unlimited.

Hatch

Gotcha :)

RAW HE * is supposed to be amazing, 685 frames ... pretty impressive. One of the reviews I recently viewed said he was setting his Z9 to HE* and leaving it there as he couldn't tell the difference between lossless compressed and HE*.

From the Nikon site
1636125147721.png

If you are lucky... I think that 400k pre-orders has probably increased since then :cautious:
out of 35K I wonder how many come to the USA market? I would guess at best 15%. The MKII version will be out by the time everyone who wanted one got one lol. Good problem for Nikon!

WOW!!! If that is true it is 11 months +, I would think even longer since they have much longer shipping times today. It would likely be well over a year if you didn't get one in a first couple batches.
For those of use who didnt pre-order, Sony A1 is starting to look pretty good (again) right now ;):unsure:

If you are lucky... I think that 400k pre-orders has probably increased since then :cautious:

LOL looks like I might be sticking with the A1 after all. Not a bad problem to have.... but.. the wait time for the Z9 is a little discouraging if accurate. I wonder how many cameras they have produced in anticipation for December sales/fulfillments. Maybe they have 100k ready to go...trying to be optimistic lol

I wouldnt get too despondent yet. The 400,000 orders are a rumor at this point.

Also I think Nikon will do what they can, subject to supply chain limitations, to get these cameras out. It will help their lens and other accessories sales

But who knows……….

Hatch
Matt Granger reports that with the fastest currently available CFe cards, you don't hit the buffer with 14 bit lossless compressed if you shoot at 15 fps pr 12 fps. Essentially unlimited, except by the size of your card.

Back