Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

These 2 blokes attended an on-site Z9 presentation gathering & they were told by the presenter that the Z9 AF system (3D tracking in particular) does not use contrast detect system but tracks subjects based on colour profiles/colour patterns.

Any idea how A1 & R5/R3 goes about it?

Nikon's 3D tracking has always incorporated color and patterns to help with tracking movement and separating the subject from the background. But the underlying AF technology being used to focus the lens remains hybrid phase detect/contrast detect.

Keep in mind that the Z9 is focusing at 120 fps regardless of what frame rate is selected. So it is constantly refocusing on the subject with 3D tracking.

The YouTube link is from a relatively new pair of reviewers with a lot of guesses and minimal time actually handling the camera during the session. I'd weight the accuracy accordingly. There were a number of other comments they made that were inaccurate or poor interpretations and guesses.

Last edited:
I notice for the first time this morning my Z9 order at B&H only says “Coming Soon”, with no mention of shipping starting Dec. 15 (as it did up until today). 100-400 S lens order still says shipping begins Dec. 16.

B
6CFCC4AE-22E1-450A-8F7B-FF3D6FAF4FFA.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Half my order has arrived.

"Remember that there are two tasks here: selecting what to focus on, and focusing on it."

In 3D tracking, the shooter manually decides what to focus on doesn't he/she? Remember I am talking about 3 D tracking alone & not 3D tracking with subject detection switched on.

Then once any random thing is selected, you are saying that the AF uses colour profiles to identify it...

Yes, because the thing is not _static_ in the frame. 3D tracking is the thing that allows the camera - on its own - to decide to move the focus point around, following the subject you initially selected. You do select a subject, true, but then the camera has to follow it.

Well, if we are manually selecting a random subject why does it need a colour profile recognition to identify it if it is not going to use colour profiling to track it.

Beause, except outside of studio, things are not simply sitting around :)

Then you opine that the actual tracking from here on depends on phase detect & contrast detect & that using colour to track is not something you have never heard off before...

I have no clue about that. It will be nice to hear about such things from a Nikon technician.

I'm not claiming I have deep knowledge here, but as far as I know, there are only three ways to focus on a given, static focus point:

- phase detect, the old trusted and true from SLR era (which was carried to DSLRs)
- contract detect, which came with point-and-shoots, and is used by most DLSRs in live-view mode, and some mirorrless in AF-S mode after the PD phase for confirming
- and IIRC something that only Panasonic has, which uses something like lens something profile to estimate the defocus amount; see here.

None of these, as far as I know, uses colour, since colour by itself doesn't tell you anything about distance. Would be happy to learn colour can be used for focusing (as opposed to tracking).

I've seen reports on NikonRumours that this is when the *camera* firmware is out of date - such that it doesn't even understand the FTZ II. Make sure your camera has the latest version.
I am so lost. The z7ii only has one firmware update and my camera is up to date. Cannot find any info online.

I am so lost. The z7ii only has one firmware update and my camera is up to date. Cannot find any info online.

Click here:

Go to firmware and download the file on your computer. It's a compressed archive, you'll have to open the archive on your computer and get the ".bin" file inside. Put that at the top level of a media card, put into the camera. Go to the firmware page. Select "update". It should prompt you if you want to update the ftz.

Also, when you are at the firmware page in the camera, it will tell you what version is currently installed. The FTZ is "MA". The current version is 1.10. So if it says "MA 1.10", you are up to date and don't have to do anything.

That is... wrong? The Z7 II had five firmware updates, 1.01, 1.10, 1.20, 1.21 and finally 1.30?

See here, and make sure you run 1.30:

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.21 to 1.30
  • • Added support for:
    • - FTZ II mount adapters, and
    • - NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lenses.

Click here:

Go to firmware and download the file on your computer. It's a compressed archive, you'll have to open the archive on your computer and get the ".bin" file inside. Put that at the top level of a media card, put into the camera. Go to the firmware page. Select "update". It should prompt you if you want to update the ftz.

Also, when you are at the firmware page in the camera, it will tell you what version is currently installed. The FTZ is "MA". The current version is 1.10. So if it says "MA 1.10", you are up to date and don't have to do anything.
Does not work. That is for FTZ one, the FTZ 2 does not appear to have a firmware file I can download. When I try to use the FTZ one it just prompts me to delete the file.

That is... wrong? The Z7 II had five firmware updates, 1.01, 1.10, 1.20, 1.21 and finally 1.30?

See here, and make sure you run 1.30:

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.21 to 1.30
  • • Added support for:
    • - FTZ II mount adapters, and
    • - NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lenses.
AH, bless you. That's my problem, didn't see the z7ii was not up to date. Thanks, save me so much headache.

There are two kinds of firmware upgrade. One for the camera and the other for something that attaches to the camera….be it a lens or FTZ.
now the latest camera firmware upgrade for the z7ii, as mentioned by Justin in post #1570. That is specifically so the camera can properly interface with the FTZ2. At this time there has been NO firmware updates for the adaptor itself.
if you’re using the original FTZ, then that should be on v1.10

Firmware updates are model specific. So just as a firmware update for the Z6 differs from those for the Z6ii, any updates for the FTZ won’t be applicable to the FTZ2 and vice-versa.

I hope this is helpful

My Z7ii says the FTZ adapter needs an update. Can't use the camera with it, how do I upgrade the firmware to the FTZii?!?

I see you have it sorted now. Yes - the camera firmware must be up to date first to support the FTZ II.

Firmware updates for the FTZ are the same as camera and lens updates. The difference is the FTZ must be mounted on the camera to have the firmware version shown and proceed with the update. Lens updates work the same way - the lens must be mounted. But the only update for the FTZ was for the original version.

I see you have it sorted now. Yes - the camera firmware must be up to date first to support the FTZ II.

Firmware updates for the FTZ are the same as camera and lens updates. The difference is the FTZ must be mounted on the camera to have the firmware version shown and proceed with the update. Lens updates work the same way - the lens must be mounted. But the only update for the FTZ was for the original version.
Yes, everything working great. Thank you.

Back