Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon's 3D tracking has always incorporated color and patterns to help with tracking movement and separating the subject from the background. But the underlying AF technology being used to focus the lens remains hybrid phase detect/contrast detect.

Keep in mind that the Z9 is focusing at 120 fps regardless of what frame rate is selected. So it is constantly refocusing on the subject with 3D tracking.

The YouTube link is from a relatively new pair of reviewers with a lot of guesses and minimal time actually handling the camera during the session. I'd weight the accuracy accordingly. There were a number of other comments they made that were inaccurate or poor interpretations and guesses.

Hmmm...that makes sense...I guess we will have to wait for a Nikon technician to give an account...

Woahhh the Z 800 f6.3 is going to be quite a seller.

The 500pf prevented me from switching over to Sony/Canon, looks like the 800 f6.3 is going to be a unique lens. Hope it is reasonably priced like the 500pf.

Personally, I would have preferred a Z 700 f5.6 PF or a Z 600 f5.6 pf though!

Z 28-75 f2.8 doesn't make any sense when the Z24-70 f2.8 is available!

It's shipping.

I hope so, my hope is it won't be long the first start arriving now. Seeing the December 15th date removed from BH was a downer (though I'm not ordered through them) but hopefully we can get NPS orders and some of the early preorders filled in the next two weeks. I was a little surprised they sent Fro a body though considering he sold his Nikon glass and did the Dear Nikon melodrama. He has some good takes but I much prefer Steve's reviews.

The 500pf prevented me from switching over to Sony/Canon, looks like the 800 f6.3 is going to be a unique lens. Hope it is reasonably priced like the 500pf.

Announcement email from Nikon just hit my mail box.
PF yes, price not disclosed.

From the Nikon Website.
  • "The lens weighs only 1.2 lbs oz (565g), which is 8.4 oz lighter than the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S. In addition to its portability, the lens is well-suited for gimbal use for content creation and video productions."

28-75 is not an S lens but will hurt the sales of the 24-70 F2.8 S lens. May help the sales of lower end z bodies

Except the theatrics, sniffing, silly memes and voice overs I like most of the core reviews of Jared. He goes out and shoots in real world conditions, uses live recordings to show how the camera performed, shows the output and addresses most of the performance aspects and also compares them against the competition, which is very good. On the other hand, I like Thom Hogan's technical write ups and detailed reviews and find it immensely useful. There are times I feel he is too harsh and picky about certain things like using a TC or his DX buzz buzz.. So, it's better to try and avoid who is the reviewer and take what is being reviewed and how its done and to what extent one must rely on those reviews/opinions.

I like him but the Thom guys seem to not agree....lol

Except the theatrics, sniffing, silly memes and voice overs I like most of the core reviews of Jared. He goes out and shoots in real world conditions, uses live recordings to show how the camera performed, shows the output and addresses most of the performance aspects and also compares them against the competition, which is very good. On the other hand, I like Thom Hogan's technical write ups and detailed reviews and find it immensely useful. There are times I feel he is too harsh and picky about certain things like using a TC or his DX buzz buzz.. So, it's better to try and avoid who is the reviewer and take what is being reviewed and how its done and to what extent one must rely on those reviews/opinions.
Reviewing is part theatrics to grab attention and hence followers. Yes Jared is over the top in his presentation but he does give valid info. So does Thom Hogan. Everyone has their hot buttons and unless you are a fanboy, you got to find something negative to say ..

Has anyone looked into the availability any other accessories aside from the battery and ftz2, like the charger? Also, call me an idiot, but is that little door thingy you attach tot he battery a z9 specific item (i assume it is).

YAY!!! My Z9 arrived today. I pretty sure I got it before Steve. That said, it was not exactly what I expected. o_O Not complaining but still...

s-l1600 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Has anyone looked into the availability any other accessories aside from the battery and ftz2, like the charger? Also, call me an idiot, but is that little door thingy you attach tot he battery a z9 specific item (i assume it is).

The little door thing is a specific accessory and I have one on order. I have had one for my D4s and D5 just incase I loss or break it. It is on backorder at B&H.
The spare charger is also on back order, however what I did was order a used EH-7P from KEH ($34) and looks like the factory cable tie has never been undone. The cradle uses the EH-7P to power it and it is also what is required to charge in camera. Now I can charge two batteries at the same time for only a $34 investment, one in the cradle and one in camera.

The little door thing is a specific accessory and I have one on order. I have had one for my D4s and D5 just incase I loss or break it. It is on backorder at B&H.
The spare charger is also on back order, however what I did was order a used EH-7P from KEH ($34) and looks like the factory cable tie has never been undone. The cradle uses the EH-7P to power it and it is also what is required to charge in camera. Now I can charge two batteries at the same time for only a $34 investment, one in the cradle and one in camera.

OK, I figured them out:

MH-33 is the charger and BL-7 is the "battery chamber cover".

They are listed on B&H, but the cover isn't super easy to find (not linked as an accessory of the camera or battery). Not listed on the web site of my local place, so I went ahead and ordered from B&H.

Back