Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i think it much depends on your subject matter.

as a dslr shooter, photographing dogs in action, a HUGE part of my brain is dedicated to dealing with focus, deciding where to put my focus point, trying to keep focus attained, and living with the consequences of my choice.

basically, i have to put the focus point where i think the dog's head will be in the final shot.... before the shot sequence starts, and hope it works out.

with the dslr, i can't just reframe as needed, i have to keep that focus point on the head. this means if the dog does something unexpected, i'm going to likely have body parts cut off or simply have a poor framing.

while, yes, it is possible for me to get 90% of my shots with my dslr without these fancy af modes, it's still holding me back and impacting my ability to get even better shots because i'm spending cycles on focusing instead of composition and other things.

View attachment 31493

Terrific capture! Was this with a Z9? Would you please share the settings?

Terrific capture! Was this with a Z9? Would you please share the settings?

thanks!

no, d500 (still waiting for my z9), nikon 70-200 2.8e (awesome lens), group focus, shutter to release, in this case i picked a pretty central focus point. zero crop.

zero noise reduction, some sharpening. it's a pretty quick and dirty edit, if i was working this harder i'd probably try it with denoise and see which way i liked it better. i might also lower black level to make the dog more contrasty.

i have to say, when i pulled up to shoot that morning, i was almost giddy about the fog! :-D

Screenshot 2022-01-29 134815.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

EDIT: Here's the full size image, also run through topaz and black levels tweaked a bit https://www.dogsportsphotos.org/photos/kickass-disc-dogs-20220123/JN9_3062-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Love your dog shot brilliant.............For Me.........Your dog shot with the faded trees in the back ground adds soft contrast and an element of dimension, the coat on the dog, the fog or mist all shows the environment and ties the story together of the time of year, its cold and its all out action, the shot shooting up adds the element of height and creates the wow factor, the slightly off center adds to movement direction intention,.............like it............

I find this discussion interesting and very helpful, i can cherry pick those things that my work for me.

I hear you loud and clear, i respect your saying you get 90% of your shots on a DSLR............i am yet to have the experience of the mirror less camera doing any better other than 20 fps giving more choices of selecting a perfect frame, dialing it down to 15 puts it on par or close to the D6 1Dx III so the only other major benefit is tracking........i am yet to master or even understand fully its potential or in fact advantage over the high speed pro DLSR that in challenging sprts action may be sticker, i believe mirror less has an advantage.........i look forward to experiencing it.

I think for me final composition is better done in post by shooting a little wider.

Group and possibly 5:4 may be added back to the Z9 i hear in upcoming updates ?

There is no right or wrong, just choices, by sharing knowledge or experience we all help each other, i am self taught and have learnt by filtering out key points of understanding if they suite what i do, this builds my skill set.

The Z9 is great, love the speed option, can take or leave the mirror less tracking at this stage as i haven't got to fully understand it for its potential.

thanks!

no, d500 (still waiting for my z9), nikon 70-200 2.8e (awesome lens), group focus, shutter to release, in this case i picked a pretty central focus point. zero crop.

zero noise reduction, some sharpening. it's a pretty quick and dirty edit, if i was working this harder i'd probably try it with denoise and see which way i liked it better. i might also lower black level to make the dog more contrasty.

i have to say, when i pulled up to shoot that morning, i was almost giddy about the fog! :-D

View attachment 31579
Pro Contrast and Vivasa in NIk may prove handy

thanks!

View attachment 31579

I think the Z9 is a brilliant camera with lots of potential, just the tracking stuff, well is quite good depending on what your doing but maybe needs a little more time or further development, this is the initial feed back from the coal face i am getting here at home..............from some full time pro users who really know what their doing and have been using mirror less with the A1 as well................that's not bashing the Z9, for me I love it for its speed, silent shooting, its a work of art, the video end i believe is brilliant not that i am interested in that, well not for now until i am ready to take stills from the video which is where the industry seems to be heading.

I feel Nikon will do its upmost in refining the Z9 as its entitled to.

I think some of the further development/ refinement will come when the S line telephotos are attached to the Z9. The adapted lenses are as good or better on the Z9 but I think the lenses coming down the pike will make a considerable difference in performance.

I think some of the further development/ refinement will come when the S line telephotos are attached to the Z9. The adapted lenses are as good or better on the Z9 but I think the lenses coming down the pike will make a considerable difference in performance.

I think it will defiantly help as will more software up dates, however i do think that the stickiness of the Z9 could be better as 5 is not enough in some situations, i also feel that Nikon should have put in duel processors, not a single one, and built in some future proofing through updates, i mean Mercedes Have in some vehicles two stage turbo's, one for maximum low down performance and one for top end.
I don't know what the R3 has in it but what ever it is its not bad, And the R1 will definitely have some extra magic about it............i think it will be amazing.

Got my camera today. Completely anticlimactic, so I went ahead and ordered a second as a backup. This is my fifth Nikon pro-body and it felt perfect in my hand, the controls and menus were familiar, and the files just as clean as I had hoped. I do miss the mirror sound. From box to working in about 10 minutes. I am headed back to Costa Rica in three weeks and hope to have some fun with it.

Shown here with my first professional lens which I still use.

z9-031.jpg

Interview: Sports photographer Mark Pain on the new Nikon Z9

"The camera is only as good as what you ask it to do. They don’t learn, like humans do. It still amazes me how few professional sports photographers ever change the tracking speed of their AF, for example. None of us can keep our subject in the middle of the frame all the time, but I change my AF tracking speed depending on what I’m shooting, so that if I know either that the camera is likely to get it wrong, or my subject is likely to temporarily leave the middle of the frame, I just turn the tracking speed down a notch so that it doesn’t try to go hunting for something else....."

Got my camera today. Completely anticlimactic, so I went ahead and ordered a second as a backup. This is my fifth Nikon pro-body and it felt perfect in my hand, the controls and menus were familiar, and the files just as clean as I had hoped. I do miss the mirror sound. From box to working in about 10 minutes. I am headed back to Costa Rica in three weeks and hope to have some fun with it.

Shown here with my first professional lens which I still use.

View attachment 31686

For those who asked, the L-bracket is the RRS for D6, which fits. No wonder the body felt so familiar and comfy...

For those who asked, the L-bracket is the RRS for D6, which fits. No wonder the body felt so familiar and comfy...

Congratulations!

With your level of experience on these single-digit bodies, your impressions, evaluation and settings will be very valuable. I hope you will share them with us.

I am particularly interested in how you think the Z9 compares with the D6.

@John Woodworth

I am not sure how relevant my experience is to this group. I am a studio photographer and I shoot things that don't move at native ISO with complete control of lighting. Ninety percent of my shots are in the 75-105mm range. Completely new to birds and nature.

From my perspective the Z9 is a great evolutionary step over the D6. The files are clean and big and the new lenses are clearly sharper. It took me no time to set up and take my first (commercial) photo.

I like Josh and subscribe to his channel but that statement seems a bit hyperbole....cameras like the D500 and D850 were capable of nailing BIF shots with ease including swallows hunting bugs with their erratic movement. I might believe that statement if just in relation to past Z cameras but when compared to Nikon's last 5 years of DSLRs I don't think the Z9 has that great of a delta between what a D500/D850 could do. Or maybe Josh didn't own the D500, D850, D5, D6 gen cameras?? I can't recall what he was shooting before his Z cameras.

I like Josh and subscribe to his channel but that statement seems a bit hyperbole....cameras like the D500 and D850 were capable of nailing BIF shots with ease including swallows hunting bugs with their erratic movement. I might believe that statement if just in relation to past Z cameras but when compared to Nikon's last 5 years of DSLRs I don't think the Z9 has that great of a delta between what a D500/D850 could do. Or maybe Josh didn't own the D500, D850, D5, D6 gen cameras?? I can't recall what he was shooting before his Z cameras.

D850 , he said the D850 was better than his Z6ii for bird photography but the Z6ii was better for bird video , he does more video so sold the D850.

D850 , he said the D850 was better than his Z6ii for bird photography but the Z6ii was better for bird video , he does more video so sold the D850.
Maybe he never figured out the magic AF mode on the D500/D850 for BIF...hint it is Auto AF. Auto AF is best avoided on the Z cameras, even on the Z9 but on the DSLRs it was magical what it could do for challenging BIF when you weren't able to keep the Group AF on the subject due to its speed, size or erratic motion.

Maybe he never figured out the magic AF mode on the D500/D850 for BIF...hint it is Auto AF. Auto AF is best avoided on the Z cameras, even on the Z9 but on the DSLRs it was magical what it could do for challenging BIF when you weren't able to keep the Group AF on the subject due to its speed, size or erratic motion.

I always used auto on my D850 for erratic birds since you recommended it a while ago over on FM , worked extremely well too !
I always liked that DSLR but must admit the A1's far more fun for BIF

Thanks, I use a D500 and I have never tried Auto AF. Will give it a go this weekend

Bad weather and the blizzard have kept me home since my Z9 arrived.
Just spent an hour shooting backyard birds with the z9, 500f4, 1.4 TC in crappy light with a busy background
I am sure I will find it less than perfect but for my skill level - that will take awhile
Z9 700mm f5.6 1/3200 iso 3600
_dsc0779-cropped-repaired-sharpened.jpg

Back