Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon Z9 Battery:
I get 1000 shots for each 10% of battery charge.
For example, if I shoot 3000 images the battery will have 70% remaining and if I shoot 7500 images there will be 25% remaining.
I would say this is excellent battery life. Of course, your mileage could vary.

Z9 at Crufts Dog Agility with D5...much of this is long winded, but interesting parts from here including shooting with headphones at big events and customizing the AF:

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a bug or a settings/user issue:

I have set my default AF Area mode to Wide-L using AF-ON button and the larger AF box is what generally shows up even when I do not engage the AF-ON (BBF). So, even if I just want to see through the EVF, I generally see the big AF box in wide-L mode. I have noticed more than once when I turn my camera on for the first time the next day that the AF box size automatically changes to a smaller box (single point). However when I press the AF-ON button (set to Wide L), I could see the bigger AF box.

When I press the i button, the AF area mode is changed to single point and when I change it to Wide L, I could see the wide-L box. The problem however is the camera seems to resort to single point AF all of a sudden. Again, this doesn't impact when I start engaging the AF using my AF-ON button but only when I just see through the view finder.

Anyone else noticed this?

Note: I checked if this was due to changing of custom banks but it isn't.
I have not checked to see when this occurs or tried to correlate it to anything, but i notice this with mine. I have mine set to default to Wide Area L with shutter AF and AF On to 3D and Fn 1 to Single Point. It seems more frequent than what you’re seeing. I figured it was a bug. So far it hasn’t been an issue since it changes to the correct mode instantly upon pressing the shutter, but is a minor annoyance.

Just sharing a short note on an optimal way of adjusting / setting frame rates on the Z9. This is not obvious, although perhaps it's buried somewhere in the official manuals. It is the recommended setting in Thom Hogan's Z9 eBook, pg 703

Turn the release setting/fps dial fully to the Righthand setting. Pressing the release button (Top left) and turning Rear -Command dial will quickly change the release method, Time-Lapse, S, CL and CH, and this option includes C30 and C120. Turning the Front dial adjusts fps within each setting in the CL and CH continuous modes.

These settings can changed on the fly via the EVF

Last edited:
Criticism of Firmware updates and fixing/broken Menus - the Z9 mostly

I really missed the boat with the profession that I chose to pursue. I spent my entire career solving problems, fixing broken things, re-designing things that didn't work, basically doing stuff to help the world go around. Now I look back and realize that financially I could have done just as well, maybe even better, by just pointing out all those flaws and criticising all of the people out there doing what I did. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20.

Just sharing a short note on an optimal way of adjusting / setting frame rates on the Z9. This is not obvious, although perhaps it's buried somewhere in the official manuals. It is the recommended setting in Thom Hogan's Z9 eBook, pg 703

Turn the release setting/fps dial fully to the Righthand setting. Pressing the release button (Top left) and turning Rear -Command dial will quickly change the release method, Time-Lapse, S, CL and CH, and this option includes C30 and C120. Turning the Front dial adjusts fps within each setting in the CL and CH continuous modes.

Good tip...that is how I figured out to be the best way when I had the Z9. Stumbled upon this as I couldn't figure out how to even get C30/120 at first. I'm not sure why they even have two separate CH type drive mode settings on that dial.

I really missed the boat with the profession that I chose to pursue. I spent my entire career solving problems, fixing broken things, re-designing things that didn't work, basically doing stuff to help the world go around. Now I look back and realize that financially I could have done just as well, maybe even better, by just pointing out all those flaws and criticising all of the people out there doing what I did. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20.

I feel your pain! 😰

And where are all the young hackesters to hack into the Z9 and fix all Thom's suggestions? 🤔

Yes. The question is "Why is the physical ring there at all?" as Thom points out in a lengthy diatribe.

And I want the physical lock button back on the of/on switch. If it was good enough for the F5 in 1996, it should be good enough for the Z9 in 2021! 😤

Agree..it is not a deal breaker but it is indeed an annoyance particularly when photographing action where I want the wide area L box and all of a sudden the smaller single point box shows up.
I have not checked to see when this occurs or tried to correlate it to anything, but i notice this with mine. I have mine set to default to Wide Area L with shutter AF and AF On to 3D and Fn 1 to Single Point. It seems more frequent than what you’re seeing. I figured it was a bug. So far it hasn’t been an issue since it changes to the correct mode instantly upon pressing the shutter, but is a minor annoyance.

Agree..it is not a deal breaker but it is indeed an annoyance particularly when photographing action where I want the wide area L box and all of a sudden the smaller single point box shows up.

I have two Z9s and have not seen this. I wonder are the people having this issue also setting many/all off the external buttons to separate AF modes? I only use the shutter button and AF-ON and accidently press some other button is not going to alter AF.
Just a thought.

I have two Z9s and have not seen this. I wonder are the people having this issue also setting many/all off the external buttons to separate AF modes? I only use the shutter button and AF-ON and accidently press some other button is not going to alter AF.
Just a thought.
I have three fn buttons set for three different af modes and I haven't encountered that problem.

Yes. The question is "Why is the physical ring there at all?" as Thom points out in a lengthy diatribe.

And I want the physical lock button back on the of/on switch. If it was good enough for the F5 in 1996, it should be good enough for the Z9 in 2021! 😤

I couldn't agree more about the physical switch to lock the screen. I've been feeling I'm alone in the forest on this one! The Control Lock in Custom Settings Controls prompts that annoying "Focus Point is Locked" message when you accidentally touch the sub-controller which for BBAFocusers is easily do.

Back