Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

new blog entry from Brad:
Interesting information. Good news for owners of both lenses. They can stop thinking about it and just go shoot.

new blog entry from Brad:
Thanks for sharing. I just picked up my 24-120mm tonight and my 100-400mm is on the way. It sounds like that is going to be an excellent pairing which is what I was hoping for. If they live up to the great reviews I’ve seen, that could be a great two lens travel/hiking setup.

Firmware fix is confirmed again from within Nikon UK but when is anyone's guess : ".....revealed that the ability to change AF area orientation has been made as a suggested improvement to the Nikon Z9 via a future firmware update." https://www.techradar.com/news/i-pu...he-limit-at-a-velodrome-and-got-mixed-results
I like his comment that one day there will be a single AF mode that does everything. I am waiting for that camera. When the camera can read my mind - perhaps I will need to implant an electrode into my brain for this to happen :eek:

Approaching the Scene 192: My Favorite Z9 Accessories + Z9 Rants & Raves

Comment from Henry in video description:

ANGELBIRD WARNING: One of the accessories I mention is a really low priced card from Angelbird. Since recording this, I’ve had a few odd issues where the card wouldn’t import files unless I used copy and paste commands, then a close friend told me his started crashing both his Mac and PC if he plugged it in

I like his comment that one day there will be a single AF mode that does everything. I am waiting for that camera. When the camera can read my mind - perhaps I will need to implant an electrode into my brain for this to happen :eek:
Any machine that does everything is never going to do what you want it to, when you want it to, unless you have no wants of it at all.

So far I've not been impressed by the subject detect/eye detection of the Z9. So yesterday I carried it along to the grandkid's soccer game. I was floored by how well the eye detect worked and by how "sticky" the AF was. At one time I was shooting through a net and the AF completely ignored the net and locked in on the players' faces/eyes. So it is obvious that any AF issues that aren't up to snuff are due to the algorithm/data base and nothing to do with hardware. If I was a sports shooter I'd be thrilled to death with this thing.

Nikon has always leaned towards sports. Until the Z9 the flagship bodies have been relatively low resolution which is what sports/studio photographers want. The AF guides that they release are always about how to set up for sports. And they've obviously put a lot of time into tuning the AF system for people/sports. Hopefully they continue to tune the algorithm for animals/birds and improve it with FW updates. Or will they just surrender the wildlife market segment?

i can't help but think they will continue to improve it via FW. i think they needed to get it out as quickly as they can, and they put a line in the sand how much they think they NEEDED to have in there to be successful, but they are still in a fight for market share. it would be dumb for them to ignore markets.

and.... remember the 200-600. that lens isn't for sports people. they wouldn't make that lens if they didn't want that market.

i can't help but think they will continue to improve it via FW. i think they needed to get it out as quickly as they can, and they put a line in the sand how much they think they NEEDED to have in there to be successful, but they are still in a fight for market share. it would be dumb for them to ignore markets.

and.... remember the 200-600. that lens isn't for sports people. they wouldn't make that lens if they didn't want that market.
As well as the 800mm PF. But they better get on with it(the FW).

FW update for Z9, posted on NR just now:

Maybe Tokyo waited for Steve to publish his AF book....

FW update for Z9, posted on NR just now:

I have a question about RSF. I for most part shoot stationary wildlife, so I set up the camera with that in mind, but wanted a quick switch to shoot BIFs when the opportunity arises. I set one of the function buttons with RSF with a higher shutter speed and different AF mode, but what I can’t seem to do is change the EC if I need to when in the RSF. Is this not possible to change (I know you can set it in the RSF settings, but I want to change it on the fly if I need to)?

Back