Ordered the 600 TC, Keep or sell the 800 PF?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
For those who are ordering a 600 TC (and already have the 800 PF), will you be keeping the 800 PF or selling it? Like to know you reasoning.

Thanks

I'm not a typical case, as I don't think I would be able to handhold the 800. Therefore, when the 600 TC was announced I ordered it and canceled my order(s) for the 800. It's heavier, yes, but that will matter only when setting up on a tripod, and I get two focal lengths. Plus I REALLY like the rendering of the 600 E and expect the same from the TC version.

I have 800PF coupled with Z9 and mostly use it with monopod and like the lens. I don't have the upper body strength needed for holding this gear for extended periods of time. The other issue with 800PF is that sometimes it too much focal length. I am planning on ordering the 600VR f4 as the inbuilt TC makes it versatile. Also in diminishing light, early mornings or in places with tree cover need the f4. Likely will sell the 800PF as don't see a need to have both.

For those who are ordering a 600 TC (and already have the 800 PF), will you be keeping the 800 PF or selling it? Like to know you reasoning.

Thanks
I've been thinking about this a lot!
For me I'm financing the lens(es) and some of my gear; so there's the financial consideration.
I love the 800, it's light and great. I know I could get a good price selling it to a friend who is still waiting.
The 600 will cover that focal length with the TC and even be ever so slightly brighter. At 7.2 pounds heavier, but lighter than the old 800 and 600.

So comes down to:

1) Will the 600 be as sharp at 840mm with its TC engaged as the 800 is?
2) Will I be able to hand hold for brief amounts of time?

At this time I'm leaning towards selling the 800 for the money, only because if the 600 is as sharp at 840, probably do not need both, and I'm also not worrying about which lens to grab, or the other big lens sitting in my car waiting while I'm hiking.

The jury is out, I may keep it for birds in flight as I do a lot of eagle stuff and it's so light, so it's a nice option to grab and go and not have to set up a tripod too.

A tough call indeed.

I do know I"m selling my 500 PF for sure.

Sell the 800 —unless you climb and want to carry a light lens with reach

Given the supply chain I can probably sell the 800 for close to what it cost me.

Based on RICCI and others I fully expect the 600 is brighter, sharper and faster af at 600 and 840 than the 800

I’ll be happy to give my sage advice, in exchange for being the first person on your buy list when you decide to sell your 800 :giggle:

If you can handle the weight and/or intend to shoot from tripod: 600 all day. Built in TC is such an amazing feature, I’m tempted to accept the sore arms and back it would cost me.

When traveling I would only take one of the lenses, whether it is the 600mm f/4, the 400mm f/2.8, or the 800mm PF. I always take the 100-400mm and a teleconverter to have shorter focal length options from 100mm to 560mm and 800mm. More than half the time I used a TC-14 teleconverter with my 600mm f/4 lens so the 800mm is only of value if you want to shoot hand held.

I have a 600mm on order through NPS but probably will not buy the lens as it is 2 lbs heavier than the 800mm and so I would be using it 100% of the time on a gimbal head on a tripod. For me the 400mm f/2.8 TC would provide more usable focal lengths but it too requires a tripod for extended use in the field.

I had the 800 mm on order, so I canceled it after I ordered the 600 mm. I think it is up to each person to decide the best for his photography and if you should consider if you can afford keeping both lenses and how often are you going to use them. For me I can’t imagine carrying both lenses in my luggage while travelling ( most of my wildlife photography I do while travelling). If you consider one day selling the 800 it is better to do it now, because you can still get the price you paid for it. I know so many people are waiting to get it and will be happy to pay the full price and maybe little more if they can get it now and skip the waiting line.

I had the 800 mm on order, so I canceled it after I ordered the 600 mm. I think it is up to each person to decide the best for his photography and if you should consider if you can afford keeping both lenses and how often are you going to use them. For me I can’t imagine carrying both lenses in my luggage while travelling ( most of my wildlife photography I do while travelling). If you consider one day selling the 800 it is better to do it now, because you can still get the price you paid for it. I know so many people are waiting to get it and will be happy to pay the full price and maybe little more if they can get it now and skip the waiting line.
i loathe airline travel so try to drive everywhere by car; Minnesota has a lot of nesting warblers and owls so go to a lot of places here, and driving down to the Texas coast next April. I can see the 800 being handy for birds in flight in particular, but I'll have to hand hold both to see the difference as if at 840mm it's just as sharp I could really use the funds from selling the 800.

Thanks
Rich
I ordered the 600 from NPS the morning it was announced so I hope to have the lens by the end of this month or sometime in December.
As much as I've loved my 800 PF, there is no way I can carry both lenses on a plane or in the field. And the one difficulty I've had with the 800 is that sometimes it is just too much lens. I am certain that the new 600 will be a super sharp lens with and without the teleconverter and I love the versatility of having that built in TC.
The 800 is a 6.3 lens
The 600 is a f4 lens and when TC in it becomes an 840mm lens at f5.6.
The only downside of the 600 to me is that it is a little heavier than the 800 for hand holding.
And I could certainly use some help paying for the 600 by trading the 800 in.
So I'll trade in the 800 as soon as I receive the 600.

Thanks
The big difference between the 600 TC and 800 PF is the weight.
If the weight doesn't bother you i'd sell the 800mm
The 800mm is a great lens but I sold my 800mm AFS when I got the 600mm...🦘

Thanks
IF you can afford it Rich, I'd be keeping both, that 800PF does make for a lighter walk around granted the new Z600 has lost some weight.

IF it comes down to a choice of the two, I would be selling the 800PF, you will have an excellent 840 f/5.6 when your Z600 arrives!

This is where I really like the versatility of my new Z400TC, as you can have all 3 focal lengths with the addition of that excellent Z 2.0tc. (y)

There are paradoxes I've learned since May, earlier this year, using a 800mm prime lens, or rather becoming dependent on its unique features. Here +ve meets -ve.....

Positives include the new opportunities, appreciating that 800 'reach' definitely doesn't stop at 800mm. A TC14 now gives you a 1120mm combination, which is significant. And conditions permitting, 1600mm is equally possible with TC2 but be aware of the penalties on image quality. And with its bespoke 800TC125, the 800 f5.6E gives a 1000mm f7.1.

I've found this Extended Telephoto Reach is very useful for not only small and/or elusive subjects but also opens up creative opportunities; for example, tighter framing of large mammals, as well as realistic framing of such subjects at hitherto unattainable subject distances, especially behavioural interactions.

Previously, in my case I didn't know the first thing about what lies beyond this '800mm frontier'. But perhaps I'm naive, having not experimented with a 600 f4+TC2 to give 1200 f8. So obviously, we have to wait on the test results, which will be shared in due course once the 600 Z TC is trialled in the wild with the ZTC2.

Negatives are at least twofold. One is the risk of how you become dependent on this extendability of a 800 Prime to 1000mm, 1120mm and even 1600mm. The Second is more serious. You are subject as a mere captive to the Laws of Physics. Atmospheric effects can trash the most exciting and tantalizing opportunities to capture images at longer distances. Postprocessing tools such Dehaze in LR are feeble solutions to try fix such impacts on images.

Brad Hill's field review is relevant IME, but forum feedback fyi

There are paradoxes I've learned since May, earlier this year, using a 800mm prime lens, or rather becoming dependent on its unique features. Here +ve meets -ve.....

Positives include the new opportunities, appreciating that 800 'reach' definitely doesn't stop at 800mm. A TC14 now gives you a 1120mm combination, which is significant. And conditions permitting, 1600mm is equally possible with TC2 but be aware of the penalties on image quality. And with its bespoke 800TC125, the 800 f5.6E gives a 1000mm f7.1.

I've found this Extended Telephoto Reach is very useful for not only small and/or elusive subjects but also opens up creative opportunities; for example, tighter framing of large mammals, as well as realistic framing of such subjects at hitherto unattainable subject distances, especially behavioural interactions.

Previously, in my case I didn't know the first thing about what lies beyond this '800mm frontier'. But perhaps I'm naive, having not experimented with a 600 f4+TC2 to give 1200 f8. So obviously, we have to wait on the test results, which will be shared in due course once the 600 Z TC is trialled in the wild with the ZTC2.

Negatives are at least twofold. One is the risk of how you become dependent on this extendability of a 800 Prime to 1000mm, 1120mm and even 1600mm. The Second is more serious. You are subject as a mere captive to the Laws of Physics. Atmospheric effects can trash the most exciting and tantalizing opportunities to capture images at longer distances. Postprocessing tools such Dehaze in LR are feeble solutions to try fix such impacts on images.

Brad Hill's field review is relevant IME, but forum feedback fyi

Thanks for sharing that is a great review.
The more I think about it I may keep both - will be paying them off for the next 5 years but it's manageable, and I think the really light weight of the 800 will be really helpful for photographing eagles, or when hiking and wanting a lighter option. It really is a special lens.

Thanks
I would love to be in a position to face this tough dilemma- whether to keep my $6500 lens after buying another $15,500 one. 🤪 Hell, I can’t even afford the $1,100 lens hood for the 600 Z TC!! Rich, if you decide to part with the 800 PF, I know a very nice older guy in Buffalo, NY who would love to take it off your hands, and would put it to very good use. Just sayin’

I'm not really in the market for either…but I would be more in the 800PF market than the 600TC market based on the price…but for me the expense vs the how often it will get used vs the too much lens for this situation and the size/weight to carry pretty much rules either out…heck, I'm even thinking of selling my 500PF since with the 100-400 and TCs the 500 is rarely used. Depending on which comparison you believe…the bare 500PF and the 100-400 with TC (or the 400 with the external TC) are pretty comparable IQ wise and the flexibility of the zoom is good…so sacrificing the flexibility for a maybe increase in IQ isn't for me.

Back