Ordered the 600 TC, Keep or sell the 800 PF?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whoever asked if price and disposable income were the barrier, posted the key question in my mind.
Clearly, some people have the capital (available) or disposable budget (to borrow/spend) in order to float a purchase like this. For others, the price of a $3200-$3600 400 f4.5/500PF is beyond their grasp, and still others must be content w/ less expensive super zooms or older used lenses.
If buying a 600mm f4S is not a financial burden, and retaining the 800PF does not reduce your capacity to afford and enjoy the former, then I think it makes sense to keep both. The 800PF has the advantage of being small and light. It can be easily carried on the trail, shot handheld, or used from a tripod in a blind. The 600mm f4S requires a bit more of a commitment for some support as well as a larger bag. It is, no doubt, the superior lens with great flexibility. Owning the pair allows one to have the best of both worlds.

Like many others, I have the 800PF on pre-order. I would love to take delivery in the next month, but I probably will not see one for 6 months (or longer). Buying this lens is a serious stretch for me, and it will probably be a part of my kit for the next 8 to 10 years. For me, the lens will be the best "my" money can buy... for others, it will be considered a great lens with the knowledge that better ones exist.
If you like your 800PF and can manage to keep them both, I think you should keep them both.

cheers,
bruce

Whoever asked if price and disposable income were the barrier, posted the key question in my mind.
Clearly, some people have the capital (available) or disposable budget (to borrow/spend) in order to float a purchase like this. For others, the price of a $3200-$3600 400 f4.5/500PF is beyond their grasp, and still others must be content w/ less expensive super zooms or older used lenses.
If buying a 600mm f4S is not a financial burden, and retaining the 800PF does not reduce your capacity to afford and enjoy the former, then I think it makes sense to keep both. The 800PF has the advantage of being small and light. It can be easily carried on the trail, shot handheld, or used from a tripod in a blind. The 600mm f4S requires a bit more of a commitment for some support as well as a larger bag. It is, no doubt, the superior lens with great flexibility. Owning the pair allows one to have the best of both worlds.

Like many others, I have the 800PF on pre-order. I would love to take delivery in the next month, but I probably will not see one for 6 months (or longer). Buying this lens is a serious stretch for me, and it will probably be a part of my kit for the next 8 to 10 years. For me, the lens will be the best "my" money can buy... for others, it will be considered a great lens with the knowledge that better ones exist.
If you like your 800PF and can manage to keep them both, I think you should keep them both.

cheers,
bruce

Thanks Bruce. After giving it thought I'll keep both; as you said the 800 is so light, and it's nice for a birds in flight option. I'm not made of money and will take a few years to pay off the lenses, but to me it's worth it and having the best of both worlds is a good thing.

Hopefully a 600 or two shows up in the next couple of weeks, will be curious how many arrive in the first batch.

Take care,
Paul

Back