Organised Photo Tours - has the market peaked?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In the last couple of years, adventure tours via small ice-breaking ships have been offered 25% deals off all cabin sizes. I think slower recovery from COVID-19 is likely due to health concerns of the age demographic. The two I took last year, Greenland and Antarctica, sailed undercapicty 25-30%. One North West Passage either way was 25% late last year. Weather can and does play a big part in shooting opportunities. When it is good, it is fantastic. When foul, there are no shots and lots of seasickness. Cost depends on the number of days at sea and the number of stops.

My wife might object LOL! No way she'd let me do a trip like that without her!
My wife might object LOL! No way she'd let me do a trip like that without her!
A pro like yourself, Steve, should look into leading one of your tour groups on these tour ships. Bring a group of photographers; you, your wife, and your kids could likely get free or significantly reduced passage. I have seen family groups with teenage kids. Enjoy family adventures in places few visit, let alone capture fantastic images everywhere one turns. I'd be interested in being part of your paying group. The other nice thing about these tours is that logistics are looked after with most tours, including airfare to and from major US and Canadian hubs to the nearest central hub in the country of departure. Once there, hotel and flights/busses to the port of departure are also included. I think there are tour brokers who can also do this, but dealing with the shipping line directly would be less expensive for all.
I look forward to joining you.

I have seen a few of the recent "last minute" emails too. However, I consider this to be a fairly normal situation as I have seen these same type of emails before.

I do think there are factors at work that may be preventing people from signing up for some of these tours: Advancing age; more airline and general travel issues to deal with; and higher total costs of the trip and nit just the higher workshop fee. For those 15 years younger than I am may be traveling as singles (and not as a couple) and do not want to pay the single supplements.

I have seen a few of the recent "last minute" emails too. However, I consider this to be a fairly normal situation as I have seen these same type of emails before.

I do think there are factors at work that may be preventing people from signing up for some of these tours: Advancing age; more airline and general travel issues to deal with; and higher total costs of the trip and nit just the higher workshop fee. For those 15 years younger than I am may be traveling as singles (and not as a couple) and do not want to pay the single supplements.
My last trip had a no-supplement deal. Which allowed me and a buddy to travel in a bigger private cabin instead of sharing a cabin. At the end of these trips, there is always a good discount to book another trip. One passenger in the room next to mine, an older 80-year-old woman, had extended her 1st trip 3 more times; with 25% unsold cabins, staying aboard was very deeply discounted. If your time is flexible and you have the coin, there are deals to be had.

...For those 15 years younger than I am may be traveling as singles (and not as a couple) and do not want to pay the single supplements.
Yes, as an umarried person I find the single supplements really irksome. It's not just a few bucks; it usually adds between $1,000 and $1,500 to the already high price of a trip.

Things have changed in professional photography. There's less to be made selling prints so the way to make money at what you love is to lead tours. That means more tours, which means more supply with the same demand.
To those successful individuals who make a living from photography, working hard and efficiently providing quality and service at competitive prices in this market, earning our loyalty is not an easy path, nor is it without risk of failure. Entrepreneurs who make it or don't should be recognized as a driving force within this industry. Taking photos, selling prints, leading tours or producing books and videos, and skill training are the foundations of market demand. Without this demand, less capable photographers who desire to enjoy and improve their images the market would shrink. Congratulations and success to all those who satisfy our shared interests in creating sharp, vibrant and interesting future pictures. My pontification apologies in advance.

To those successful individuals who make a living from photography, working hard and efficiently providing quality and service at competitive prices in this market, earning our loyalty is not an easy path, nor is it without risk of failure. Entrepreneurs who make it or don't should be recognized as a driving force within this industry. Taking photos, selling prints, leading tours or producing books and videos, and skill training are the foundations of market demand. Without this demand, less capable photographers who desire to enjoy and improve their images the market would shrink. Congratulations and success to all those who satisfy our shared interests in creating sharp, vibrant and interesting future pictures. My pontification apologies in advance.

I have to confess I have no idea what you're saying or how it relates to what I said.

Interesting thread. Full disclosure: After 10 years of doing wildlife, I'm working on being one of those "new people" offering tours. I took my first tour to India with a pretty well followed tiger photographer, he had one that wasn't priced differently for foreigners, and it made it affordable. Great experience as a trip and made great friends with whom we traveled again and are still friends with. But the leader was nothing but a disappointment. Two years later I went to Afrika with my new Indian friends, it was put together by one of the guys. Awesome experience, we helped each other out. My biggest frustration with tours now, is that there doesn't seem to be a difference in price for a teaching tour (workshop) vs. a guided tour. Of course I can always learn something, but I don't need a teaching tour. I'm going to Costa Rica by myself in April to verify the itinerary I put together and make connections on the ground. I spent a few days doing research (some suggestions came from this group) and my 8 days there, 3 locations, packed with activities, car rental, guide at one location, etc. will cost me $1,800 + ticket. Yes, people should get paid for their experience and knowledge, but seems like a hell of a premium to pay if you just need to be shown around. If any of you "budget conscious" people want to go with me, there is a good chunk of the $1800 we can split.

I am with @aringer in that I do not want instruction, I just want someone who can get me access to places I cannot get to on my own. I think (without re-reading the thread) that someone mentioned they had found a local guide on their own (was it through their lodge?) that saved them money over doing an organized photo tour. This would be ideal for me, but the problem is finding these local guides. It would be nice if there was a resource for these. Maybe @Steve will start a new thread category (or at least a new thread within an established category) for this? (Probably not, but it never hurts to ask). I am going to Spain in two weeks and have hired a lynx guide for two days whom I found through MammalWatching.com. This will be my first time hiring a guide of any kind on a photo trip.

I have to confess I have no idea what you're saying or how it relates to what I said.
Sorry, I support your observation that technological changes have changed revenue streams for those making a living using photography hardware. I know from back in the day when developing film and prints, keepers were fewer. Today, cameras and cell phones produce many more keepers. Leading to the decline/demise of prints to hang.

Sorry, I support your observation that technological changes have changed revenue streams for those making a living using photography hardware. I know from back in the day when developing film and prints, keepers were fewer. Today, cameras and cell phones produce many more keepers. Leading to the decline/demise of prints to hang.

Ah okay, sorry, I get it now. Yes, with so many people taking images and it being so easy to get them now, selling prints is a hard way to make money.

Interesting thread. Full disclosure: After 10 years of doing wildlife, I'm working on being one of those "new people" offering tours. I took my first tour to India with a pretty well followed tiger photographer, he had one that wasn't priced differently for foreigners, and it made it affordable. Great experience as a trip and made great friends with whom we traveled again and are still friends with. But the leader was nothing but a disappointment. Two years later I went to Afrika with my new Indian friends, it was put together by one of the guys. Awesome experience, we helped each other out. My biggest frustration with tours now, is that there doesn't seem to be a difference in price for a teaching tour (workshop) vs. a guided tour. Of course I can always learn something, but I don't need a teaching tour. I'm going to Costa Rica by myself in April to verify the itinerary I put together and make connections on the ground. I spent a few days doing research (some suggestions came from this group) and my 8 days there, 3 locations, packed with activities, car rental, guide at one location, etc. will cost me $1,800 + ticket. Yes, people should get paid for their experience and knowledge, but seems like a hell of a premium to pay if you just need to be shown around. If any of you "budget conscious" people want to go with me, there is a good chunk of the $1800 we can split.
It is a great idea to put together others in this group to build trips and include others. Perhaps you have a new tread to create?

It is a great idea to put together others in this group to build trips and include others. Perhaps you have a new tread to create?
I thought about it. Maybe a new
I am with @aringer in that I do not want instruction, I just want someone who can get me access to places I cannot get to on my own. I think (without re-reading the thread) that someone mentioned they had found a local guide on their own (was it through their lodge?) that saved them money over doing an organized photo tour. This would be ideal for me, but the problem is finding these local guides. It would be nice if there was a resource for these. Maybe @Steve will start a new thread category (or at least a new thread within an established category) for this? (Probably not, but it never hurts to ask). I am going to Spain in two weeks and have hired a lynx guide for two days whom I found through MammalWatching.com. This will be my first time hiring a guide of any kind on a photo trip.
I made some phone calls and found out some places have a guide on site, so I didn't need to find another one for that location. They do know people if you need extra guidance. A few people recommended guides for different locations on this forum when I asked. Some were booked and quite pricey, I booked time with one that was reasonable and a forum member had great things to say about them. That's all the endorsement I need.

I did last year a trip to Kenya and Tanzania to tâme safari with a local guide and it was my third times in both countries. I was lucky in Tanzania, I found the best guide I can dream of for me. In Kenya, the experience was not good with the two guides I hired. I am organizing a safari trip to Tanzania in the Fall with the same guide.
It is not easy to find one guide that suit your need, but when you do you make sure to keep in touch with him.
At the end, animals are the same in Kenya and Tanzania, so I decided to forget about Kenya and concentrate on Tanzania. Have a good trip to Spain. And please when you come back put a thread about your trip and show us some of your photos.

A pro like yourself, Steve, should look into leading one of your tour groups on these tour ships. Bring a group of photographers; you, your wife, and your kids could likely get free or significantly reduced passage. I have seen family groups with teenage kids. Enjoy family adventures in places few visit, let alone capture fantastic images everywhere one turns. I'd be interested in being part of your paying group. The other nice thing about these tours is that logistics are looked after with most tours, including airfare to and from major US and Canadian hubs to the nearest central hub in the country of departure. Once there, hotel and flights/busses to the port of departure are also included. I think there are tour brokers who can also do this, but dealing with the shipping line directly would be less expensive for all.
I look forward to joining you.
We're looking into it with another tour group (gotta start somewhere). I'd be working for them as a photo guide BUT if we can pull it off I'll announce it to my newsletter list.

Times have changed -
some branched out into stock
some started doing workshops
some started doing tours

One has to adapt - but similarly where in the past (in prehistoric times) one only went on organised tours when going abroad - one can now often do your own thing without a tour guide.

There are still enough people who love to travel in a group with a guide like Steve - and there are enough ways to travel on your own too if you prefer. Every horse has a different hue

Last edited:
Various points:
The single supplement seems reasonable and necessary to me. Each lodge/hotel room occupied has only one person instead of two, so there is twice the cost per person, times the number of nights stayed. People who don't want to pay the supplement can ask, at least, to share a double. I personally need my "me time" alone during trips, so the extra cost seems worth it.

The distinction between a "tour" and a "workshop" is fuzzy and in real life, hard to pin down. Most of the leaders I have traveled with make themselves available for in-the-field tutoring/help, but will stand aside if one indicates, however mildly, that help is not wanted. On one of Glenn Bartley's trips (to Costa Rica), his second leader (will remain nameless) was too aggressive in my opinion about offering his "advice," and I had to tell him outright that I did not want any help. That was unusual.

I will add that there are levels of help. I rarely ask leaders for assistance, but the best ones are good at the little things like advising the group where to line up our tripods to get the best angle and lighting. Also, of course, the good leaders know the birds and animals and are good at locating and spotting them. OTOH, on one of my trips to Santa Clara Ranch, the tour leader (not Hector Astorga, who was out of the country) did not know the birds, yet she also refused to have Hector's fill-in (a woman whose name I can't remember) accompany us to the blinds. This could have been disastrous, but one of the participants was a birder, and he identified the birds for the group. Oh, that was me :cool:

Some leaders do "instructional sessions" in the evening or midday when shooting conditions are suboptimal. I usually enjoy these, and usually I learn a new trick or two. I had one leader (nameless, of course), who not only herded us into evening sessions, she force-fed us Lightroom whether or not that was our interest, and she made us submit photos for critique. Her critiques were (mostly) reasonable, but it felt like high school. This kind of thing should not be mandatory, in my opinion.

My upcoming trip to Churchill with Glenn in June seems to feature a small group of photographers who already are quite accomplished. I will call myself semi-accomplished. But my older son is coming along, and he is one of those people who likes to go out (with Dad) on trips and take bird photos, but the activity is not his passion. I will be really glad to have Glenn tutor him in the field.

Doug Greenberg

We're looking into it with another tour group (gotta start somewhere). I'd be working for them as a photo guide BUT if we can pull it off I'll announce it to my newsletter list.
Steve, you might find Adventures Canada, which offers small-ship expeditions (200-passenger) to the Canadian High Arctic, Greenland, Atlantic Canada, Scotland, Faroe Islands, and Iceland—a family-owned business with close ties to indigenous peoples and a serious commitment to preserving our environment and safety. The ship is old but is certified for most types of ice passage. Their website has 20% today. Negotiating for a group would likely result in further savings.

Steve, you might find Adventures Canada, which offers small-ship expeditions (200-passenger) to the Canadian High Arctic, Greenland, Atlantic Canada, Scotland, Faroe Islands, and Iceland—a family-owned business with close ties to indigenous peoples and a serious commitment to preserving our environment and safety. The ship is old but is certified for most types of ice passage. Their website has 20% today. Negotiating for a group would likely result in further savings.
Thanks! I'll keep them in mind. However, at the moment, I'm just not ready to make that leap. However, I'll keep this info for when I have a bit more time and can investigate it further. Thanks again!

Back