Osprey in take off!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Last summer I managed to snap this photo whilst on a boat, using a d7500 paired with a 200-500mm f5.6 (@ 500mm, 1/2000 sec and iso 560). The horizon is a bit off on the unedited image as the conditions weren't ideal for nailing the framing. This was mainly due to trying to keep the boat from turning with the wind. I accomplished this feat by steering the boat with the tiller under one arm whilst trying to photograph the osprey. I have to thank the amazing VR on the 200-500 as it's most likely what kept this image usable in the first place.

The first image is the original raw file converted into a jpg for reference. The bottom two images are cropped, edited versions, where I have done minor highlight recovery with a mask on the osprey and also played around with the tone curves. The bottom image is merely a crop of the processed photo, so that you guys can appreciate the bird in a higher resolution. As a small side note, all images have had sharpening applied in the process of changing the image size to the 800 pixel web standard for the forum.

So I guess this is the part where I get to the point of this forum. I would like to hear what you guys think of this shot in general. I'm open to all criticism and I would be happy to hear any ideas on improving the image such as alternative crops.

ospreyraw.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

osprey1.jpg

ospreycrop.jpg

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to crop close to #3 but include all the foreground rocks and a bit of water. The way they are chopped off in #3 to my eye is a bit awkward. The rocks would help to naturally frame the bird and his/her awesome wings, and balance the composition with the background. Otherwise it’s a beautiful image of the osprey just lifting off. I hope this is helpful.

My suggestion would be to crop close to #3 but include all the foreground rocks and a bit of water. The way they are chopped off in #3 to my eye is a bit awkward. The rocks would help to naturally frame the bird and his/her awesome wings, and balance the composition with the background. Otherwise it’s a beautiful image of the osprey just lifting off. I hope this is helpful.

ospreycrop2.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I agree with your suggestion! Here's my attempt at the crop. Is this more or less what you were thinking of? I was also unsure when cropping, that should I center the bird or have it coming slightly into the frame?

I like this crop with the rocks, but would situate the bird a little further left. He is a little off-center now, but I think it would be more appealing if the bird were a little closer to 1/3 from the left margin. Maybe just pull the bottom right corner down some would add a tad more foreground and adjust the bird. Maybe like this?

ospreyraw-2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, a little further refinement to Kuki’s crop, give the rocks a bit more room like in Gaknott’s version, keeping the way they taper off to the right, and make sure the water is dead level. And to take it even further, try deleting or darkening the log?, boat?, thing on the far shore to further simplify and eliminate any distraction from the osprey. I think Gaknott has the bird a bit too far left but now I’m getting really picky. However it’s fun to refine, bit by bit until it’s as perfect as it can be. There is also the balance between over tweaking/processing, and keeping things “as shot”. Still it’s a lovely image showing the osprey in a great position, good light and surroundings, and worth the effort to perfect.

Back