Passing on information about Topaz DeNoise and Nikon z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is to pass information along to Topaz users who own the Z8 and use Topaz DeNoise AI software, either version.

I use Topaz DeNoise often, both versions, opening it from LrC. At some point I realized I could have the original RAW file processed instead of creating a tiff, which is probably the most common method. To process the RAW file I'd access Topaz from a different menu item and it used Topaz Photo AI. When I got the Z8 I found that I could no longer use that second method to process the RAW Z8 file (just found out today I did not go “far enough” into the RAW setting to reconfigure it), and so the problem was user error (imagine that!). I did read somewhere that HE RAW was not yet supported and that was my problem.

This morning I finally sent an email and they responded, and we email-chatted. I was told that Topaz is releasing an update tomorrow, July 6, to fix the issue of not being able to use the second RAW way of using Topaz DeNoise and HE RAW files, although I don't normally use that type of file compression.

1. The first way, that will work with the Z8, is the Photo>Edit In>Topaz DeNoise AI. (the individual software program)
2. The second way, to work directly on a RAW file, is File>Plug-In Extras>Process with Topaz Photo AI.(the all-in-one version software program)

See their messages to me below:
"I can help with this. From what you are sending in the screenshots yes it looks like you were shooting with HE* compression on the Z8.
That will be supported in the Topaz Photo AI update tomorrow.”

They also did say there would be no future upgrades for the single software applications, at least that is what I got from this email:
"Thanks for reaching out. We haven't yet added Z8 support to DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, or Gigapixel AI.

We don't have any planned updates for these apps so it is unlikely that they will get Z8 support.

Topaz Photo AI supports Z8 standard compression files.

For the other applications, we recommend converting the RAW file into a TIFF before using them."

That's all I know...

They also did say there would be no future upgrades for the single software applications, at least that is what I got from this email:
We don't have any planned updates for these apps so it is unlikely that they will get Z8 support.
hrm. then why am i paying them for support for these packages?!

I have been opening a raw unprocessed image from ACR into PS.....duplicating the background layer in PS - and using the Topaz DeNoise AI filter on it. It seems to be working fine. Then I use the ACR filter to apply any other raw settings. Then I finish processing the image and save as a .psd.

Am I missing something...............?

I have been opening a raw unprocessed image from ACR into PS.....duplicating the background layer in PS - and using the Topaz DeNoise AI filter on it. It seems to be working fine. Then I use the ACR filter to apply any other raw settings. Then I finish processing the image and save as a .psd.

i think you're using raw file --> adobe --> topaz workflow. i think what's not working is (z8 he*) raw file --> topaz workflow. ie, topaz itself can't process the raw. in the adobe --> topaz workflow the file is passed as a tiff, not a raw

Using LrC you can process a file as a tiff, using the one method, or as a RAW file, using the second method. I don't do this from ACR so can't comment on that workflow. I generally like to use the RAW method but that method works with Topaz Photo AI, not the separate pieces of software, but the one that combined it all. That one won't work, at least today, with an he* RAW file. So many ways to do it all...

Thanks for sharing.

The most interesting thing is they are finally admitting publicly that they are going to stop supporting/upgrading the standalone programs.

My days with Topaz are over...I might have kept on with just Denoise but I don't really like Photo AI and now LR's AI NR has pretty much replaced all Topaz and DXO programs in my workflow.

Thanks for sharing.

The most interesting thing is they are finally admitting publicly that they are going to stop supporting/upgrading the standalone programs.

My days with Topaz are over...I might have kept on with just Denoise but I don't really like Photo AI and now LR's AI NR has pretty much replaced all Topaz and DXO programs in my workflow.
i find it weird(and disappointing) as i'm _only_ interested in denoise and sharpen.

one trick that i have noticed that denoise/sharpen do that dxo pureraw and LR denoise don't do* tho is work on jpgs.

* which surprised me.

Using LrC you can process a file as a tiff, using the one method, or as a RAW file, using the second method. I don't do this from ACR so can't comment on that workflow. I generally like to use the RAW method but that method works with Topaz Photo AI, not the separate pieces of software, but the one that combined it all. That one won't work, at least today, with an he* RAW file. So many ways to do it all...
Thanks. Using the Topaz DeNoise AI filter in PS, I can select "Raw"......which is what I've been doing. For ISO's under 2,000 I've been using Adobe's NR Enhance available in ACR.....but for higher (way higher) ISO's I resort to DeNoise AI.

I had an email discussion with topaz about a month ago and was told that they are moving away from the individual aps to Photo AI. Not sure if Photo AI will be a free upgrade (or at reduced cost) for holders of the individual aps.

If you have the 3 individual programs with current upgrades, you get Topaz Photo AI for free, right now.
Yep, that's what's in my app folder...

So, if everything is going away except for Photo AI I think we can safely deduce It's not going to remain free - and likely will cost more than DeNoise AI alone (which is all I use).
I may be going away from Topaz. Wait and see.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 8.46.51 PM.png

I had the individual apps for quite a while then switched to the photo Ai program a while back. The reason I switched was because I thought I read they were moving away from the individual to photo Ai. I tried DXO but at the time they didn't support the Z9, finally they did but not the lenses. Now they support a some lenses but not the 400/2.8TC.

I'd rather stick with Topaz since they support the cameras and lenses I use. I will say now that I've used it a while I'm very happy and not interested in the DXO stuff, maybe when they get their supported lenses resolved I'll try again but it's not something I even think about any more. I am well aware people love it but I spent money on something I couldn't even use on the Z9 so that left a bad taste in my mouth about them. Your mileage may vary!!

Thanks. Using the Topaz DeNoise AI filter in PS, I can select "Raw"......which is what I've been doing. For ISO's under 2,000 I've been using Adobe's NR Enhance available in ACR.....but for higher (way higher) ISO's I resort to DeNoise AI.
I am surprised at your comment. I posted a hummingbird shot the other day that was shot at 18,000 ISO and I thought LRC did a fantastic job of cleaning that image up.

I had the individual apps for quite a while then switched to the photo Ai program a while back. The reason I switched was because I thought I read they were moving away from the individual to photo Ai. I tried DXO but at the time they didn't support the Z9, finally they did but not the lenses. Now they support a some lenses but not the 400/2.8TC.

I'd rather stick with Topaz since they support the cameras and lenses I use. I will say now that I've used it a while I'm very happy and not interested in the DXO stuff, maybe when they get their supported lenses resolved I'll try again but it's not something I even think about any more. I am well aware people love it but I spent money on something I couldn't even use on the Z9 so that left a bad taste in my mouth about them. Your mileage may vary!!
I'm a Beta tester with Topaz for PhotoAI. The amount of development and user responsiveness is quite impressive IMHO.
I too was a Denoise and Sharpen user only, but while I have all 3 standalone products I only use PhotoAI now.
Adobe addition of denoise AI to LRC is a great move and adds to an already great product, however now the I can edit a HE* RAW file in Photo AI I will probably just use it and not bother creating additional Tiff or DNG files.

This morning I finally sent an email and they responded, and we email-chatted. I was told that Topaz is releasing an update tomorrow, July 6, to fix the issue of not being able to use the second RAW way of using Topaz DeNoise and HE RAW files, although I don't normally use that type of file compression.

1. The first way, that will work with the Z8, is the Photo>Edit In>Topaz DeNoise AI. (the individual software program)
2. The second way, to work directly on a RAW file, is File>Plug-In Extras>Process with Topaz Photo AI.(the all-in-one version software program)

See their messages to me below:
"I can help with this. From what you are sending in the screenshots yes it looks like you were shooting with HE* compression on the Z8.
That will be supported in the Topaz Photo AI update tomorrow.”
thanks for this info
to clarify, from the next release Z8 HE* RAW files can be edited in PhotoAI using the File>Plug-In Extras>Process with Topaz Photo AI method?
obviously the other method has always worked, it creates a Tiff, or whatever you have configured LRC to export, to PhotoAI.

I'm a Beta tester with Topaz for PhotoAI. The amount of development and user responsiveness is quite impressive IMHO.
I too was a Denoise and Sharpen user only, but while I have all 3 standalone products I only use PhotoAI now.
Adobe addition of denoise AI to LRC is a great move and adds to an already great product, however now the I can edit a HE* RAW file in Photo AI I will probably just use it and not bother creating additional Tiff or DNG files.
DeNoise was a great program but I'm very happy now with Ai. It's faster and I can adjust what's needed and not be stuck with a canned outcome which some believe you're stuck with. Hey they're all good just like Canon, Sony and Nikon! Ok maybe not Canon!! 🤣 JUST KIDDING it's an old habit! 🤣🤣 My friend Charles Glatzer is a Canon Explorer of Light.

I had an extensive conversation and screen share with a Topaz tech support rep couple weeks ago due to an issue I was having on my iMac with PhotoAI not writing metadata properly when saving back to disk, which would cause an extreme color shift in my processed images (weird issue he couldn't fix so he gave me an Alpha build that didn't have the same problem - outstanding customer service). In the course of that conversation he told me that Topaz is focusing on the development of PhotoAI now and has made the decision - temporarily - not to work on further updates to DeNoise and Sharpen. It just takes too many resources for them to be updating all three programs and their current focus is on getting PhotoAI to a point where its sharpening and denoising are as good as Sharpen and DeNoise respectively. Apparently PhotoAI doesn't have all the same models that those programs have and it's coded differently so it's not as easy as just porting them over. So until they can get all the models into PhotoAI and achieve parity that is going to be their focus. He essentially acknowledged that Sharpen and DeNoise are currently superior at their respective tasks, but probably won't be in a few months.

Meanwhile, he did not mention to me that they would finally be supporting HE* raw files. I'm thrilled to hear that. I use that workflow for my OM-1 raw files but have had to use Edit In and work on tiff's for my Nikon HE* files. Be aware, however, that the raw file workflow creates a DNG file as output, rather than processing a TIFF file created by Lightroom.

Back