Passing on information about Topaz DeNoise and Nikon z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am surprised at your comment. I posted a hummingbird shot the other day that was shot at 18,000 ISO and I thought LRC did a fantastic job of cleaning that image up.
Same. While processing a recent trips‘ photos I compared cleanup with LRC‘s new AI DeNoise feature vs Topaz photo ai on perhaps 30 photos and preferred LRC’s new module in all cases. I am new to Topaz, but those were my results, felt the LRC results much more natural looking.

thanks for this info
to clarify, from the next release Z8 HE* RAW files can be edited in PhotoAI using the File>Plug-In Extras>Process with Topaz Photo AI method?
obviously the other method has always worked, it creates a Tiff, or whatever you have configured LRC to export, to PhotoAI.
That's what the rep said, again today in fact.

I'm not sure I have enough years left in my life to depend on LR denoise. At an average of 3 weeks, 4 days, and seven hours to process each photo, I have to assess its usefulness further.

Wow...why is it taking so long in LrC? Do you use the desktop version, LrC? It takes me seconds to a few minutes to process an image using LrC even when I use Denoise or PS. I can batch process in a heartbeat...almost literally. LrC denoise is pretty good now and I use it often. Perhaps your LrC workflow needs to be examined?

note there are performance related settings in LR. not sure how much they impact the denoise processesing. mine run slow, but not crazy slow. note that while topaz seems faster, it does take some time to open it with the tiff and then switch back to lr. i find deep prime 3 is typically the slowest, but i also have seen a lot of randomness in performance across both lr and dxo

It is taking about 4 to 5 minutes using LR classic to apply denoisec to a raw file out of the z8. Fast it is not. It does a good job, but if you have a few photos to process, well, get ready to sit back and enjoy the moment. Having said that, my PC is of average speed so maybe it works faster on a better machine.
I think the equipment we have does impact how fast software may work. I'm not a tech-oriented person, although I know enough to get in trouble, but maybe you could have your equipment evaluated. Topaz may work faster, you'd have to run some tests. I find LrC to be fast but I generally use the fastest equipment (I use a mac). There are so many differences in what we all do that it's sometimes difficult to determine where the problem is originating from.

If you have the 3 individual programs with current upgrades, you get Topaz Photo AI for free, right now.
thanks. this worked out for me:
Screenshot 2023-07-06 094745.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It is taking about 4 to 5 minutes using LR classic to apply denoisec to a raw file out of the z8. Fast it is not. It does a good job, but if you have a few photos to process, well, get ready to sit back and enjoy the moment. Having said that, my PC is of average speed so maybe it works faster on a better machine.
I have not timed my Mac Studio but I would put it at about a minute for one file (seems better on batch operations). What is nice is I can easily select a number of files and batch denoise them. I think I did around 100 files (16,000 to 25,600 ISO) and it took about 45 min. I just let it run in the background while I did other stuff in LRC. As soon as each file is complete you can start doing your selects as they continue to process in the background. For me this workflow is hands-down better than Topaz or DXO. Still not sure what the best option of the three is going forward.

Same. While processing a recent trips‘ photos I compared cleanup with LRC‘s new AI DeNoise feature vs Topaz photo ai on perhaps 30 photos and preferred LRC’s new module in all cases. I am new to Topaz, but those were my results, felt the LRC results much more natural looking.
That was my conclusion also! Way more natural looking image.

Last edited:
I had back and forth months ago with Topaz on HE* files and they are long past their promised dates. We shall see if they really deliver. Meanwhile since Apple isn’t supporting thumbnails for HE* I was planning on going back to lossless compressed, especially since I now have a NAS.

Just now imported a Z8 HE* RAW file into PhotoAI v1.4.
Very impressed with the result.
Til now I've used the LRC - Tiff - PhotoAI - Tiff - LRC method which was OK if a little clunky and Denoise was still better in some cases for both noise and sharpening.
The v1.4 might just be the beginning of the end for Denoise and Sharpen for me.
Well worth a try IMHO

This isn't new. Topaz months ago said that there will be no more updates to the original stand alone apps. That they will be only working on Photo AI going forward.

Which is fine as they are still far better than Photo AI. Photo AI is still not sure ready for prime time and I'll just be waiting to try it again when it is on version 2.0.

Though i only use Topaz Denoise AI at this point. Even in ISO500 images as it's most of the time not about denoising, i find that Denoise AI is far superior for sharpening a raw image where it causes far less artifacting and much more material looking sharpening then sharpen AI and Lightroom using the clear or low light models

This isn't new. Topaz months ago said that there will be no more updates to the original stand alone apps. That they will be only working on Photo AI going forward.

Which is fine as they are still far better than Photo AI. Photo AI is still not sure ready for prime time and I'll just be waiting to try it again when it is on version 2.0.

Though i only use Topaz Denoise AI at this point. Even in ISO500 images as it's most of the time not about denoising, i find that Denoise AI is far superior for sharpening a raw image where it causes far less artifacting and much more material looking sharpening then sharpen AI and Lightroom using the clear or low light models
I am with you Eric. I use only Topaz Denoise AI 95% of the time. I feel Photo Ai does too much for my liking. I do use Topaz Sharpen AI at times with masking but not often. I will probably not renew any upgrade licenses for Topaz products if Denoise Ai is no longer improved. I also use DXO NIK software and will take a look at Define, NIK's demoise. Perhaps DXO has improved Define. I also have DXO PL but have not found a way to easily integrate PL's Prime noise reduction seamlessly into Photoshop whereas NIK is nicely integrated into PS.

I’ve been a long time Topaz user and have used all three standalone products a great deal. Photo AI imo has not ever got the capability of Denoise which is perplexing to me. I honestly would have liked to see them stick with the trio. Anyhow, about a year and a half ago I switched over to DXO and have been extremely happy. I still do occasionally run a file thru Denoise but DXO is far superior in retaining detail. I do occasionally try photo AI but it just does some weird things to images. With Sony files I find that it gives them a magenta hue as well as tries to sharpen every image. I haven’t tried the last update that came out a week or so ago but really haven’t seen anything that’s going to make me renew my license in December. I agree with what others have said on here regarding the noise removal inside of Lightroom classic and I think it works quite well, albeit a little slow at times. It’s nice when using DXO pure raw because I can send a batch of images into it for noise removal and continue working within Lightroom which isn’t possible with topaz products. This is absolutely something that needs to be changed with topaz products because once you initiate those programs, Lightroom is locked down until the photos return. Unless something groundbreaking happens with topaz, I’ll just stick with DXO and Adobe.

I am with you Eric. I use only Topaz Denoise AI 95% of the time. I feel Photo Ai does too much for my liking. I do use Topaz Sharpen AI at times with masking but not often. I will probably not renew any upgrade licenses for Topaz products if Denoise Ai is no longer improved. I also use DXO NIK software and will take a look at Define, NIK's demoise. Perhaps DXO has improved Define. I also have DXO PL but have not found a way to easily integrate PL's Prime noise reduction seamlessly into Photoshop whereas NIK is nicely integrated into PS.
I have also been messing with DXO PureRaw 3.0 and at first I didn't like it. It was leaving a lot of noise in the background in images with ISO calues of just ISO2000 at times. But I have learned how and when to use it. Sometimes I only need to use PureRaw and sometimes just Topaz Denoise and there are times when I use PureRaw and then Topaz Denoise.

I’ve been a long time Topaz user and have used all three standalone products a great deal. Photo AI imo has not ever got the capability of Denoise which is perplexing to me. I honestly would have liked to see them stick with the trio. Anyhow, about a year and a half ago I switched over to DXO and have been extremely happy. I still do occasionally run a file thru Denoise but DXO is far superior in retaining detail. I do occasionally try photo AI but it just does some weird things to images. With Sony files I find that it gives them a magenta hue as well as tries to sharpen every image. I haven’t tried the last update that came out a week or so ago but really haven’t seen anything that’s going to make me renew my license in December. I agree with what others have said on here regarding the noise removal inside of Lightroom classic and I think it works quite well, albeit a little slow at times. It’s nice when using DXO pure raw because I can send a batch of images into it for noise removal and continue working within Lightroom which isn’t possible with topaz products. This is absolutely something that needs to be changed with topaz products because once you initiate those programs, Lightroom is locked down until the photos return. Unless something groundbreaking happens with topaz, I’ll just stick with DXO and Adobe.
Do you mean DXO PL or PureRaw? I find it odd that sometimes PureRaw 3.0 does a fantastic job on an image and others with less noise and already good feather detail that it adds way to much sharpening and artifacts even with the soft sharpening option. When it works it works well, but it's not close to consistent. More times then not I use Topaz Denoise, and it's what I use for sharpening so even my ISO500 images i usually run through Denoise AI in the clear model. That is usually the most natural sharpening even over LR.

As far as DXO PL, I am generally not interested in learning a new LR replacement. I have tried it and didn't care for it myself.

FWIW, I just sent Topaz an email stating I have a Z8 and use HE* and with no further Denoise updates I won't be renewing my license. Told them I am not interested in Photo Ai and some of the folks I'm chatting with feel the same way. I ended my email by saying this was a really dumb decision.
So be it. I had my say. I'm at peace with letting the license expire. I'll have to learn to use LR's.

FWIW, I just sent Topaz an email stating I have a Z8 and use HE* and with no further Denoise updates I won't be renewing my license. Told them I am not interested in Photo Ai and some of the folks I'm chatting with feel the same way. I ended my email by saying this was a really dumb decision.
So be it. I had my say. I'm at peace with letting the license expire. I'll have to learn to use LR's.
Just got home and am installing the update for HE* support. Note the Z8 fix. This is months late but ok. I too am likely to not renew. My reason is they don't seem to ever have a stable version. They fix one thing and break another. I believe Adobe will continue to improve their offering. I will see how this works shortly.

1688739008729.png

Change is hard!

I have always thought the DeNoise and Sharpen applications were the same product with user interface differences. You could sharpen in DeNoise and denoise in Sharpen, just to different levels. If you wanted to use both you had to run the image through two applications. I can’t imagine the processing algorithm for removing noise or sharpening has changed much from the standalone versions to the Photo AI version. I think the UI options have changed enough that it was necessary to establish new working parameters for users of the standalone versions. It certainly appeared that when Photo AI was released and being updated on an almost weekly basis and seeing no new updates for the standalone versions that Photo AI was going to be the future of Topaz.

I have been using Photo AI since its release and have grown to really like it. It is possible to turn the denoising, sharpening, and upscaling on and off as needed and apply each or all to an image.

It might be worth giving the latest version of Photo AI a trial run and if you have the standalone products you should be able to get Photo AI for no charge.

Back