If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BLev65

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I spent a fair amount of time in the cold and wet this week in an attempt to photograph a pine marten. The adventure began at 5:30 am with a 2 and 3/4 hour drive to the boreal forest. Arriving around sunset I positioned myself where the marten was last seen and waited,... and waited,... and waited.... Between the hours of 8:30 and 3:45 I passed the time thinking about life, the harsh realities of nature, and the likelihood that I'd go home empty handed. Sure I snapped pictures of red squirrels, nuthatches, chickadees, and Canadian jays, but that was just to excercise my photography muscles.
Just as the sun was setting behind the woods, the pine marten appeared. He gave me 90 seconds of activity and I did what I could to make the most of it...
Sure it was a long day followed by a long drive home, but it was definitely worth the time, energy, and thermal stress.

Persistence pays off...
bruce
martenBJL_3036-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

martenBJL_3044-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-Edit.jpg

martenBJL_3124-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-Edit-2.jpg

I spent a fair amount of time in the cold and wet this week in an attempt to photograph a pine marten. The adventure began at 5:30 am with a 2 and 3/4 hour drive to the boreal forest. Arriving around sunset I positioned myself where the marten was last seen and waited,... and waited,... and waited.... Between the hours of 8:30 and 3:45 I passed the time thinking about life, the harsh realities of nature, and the likelihood that I'd go home empty handed. Sure I snapped pictures of red squirrels, nuthatches, chickadees, and Canadian jays, but that was just to excercise my photography muscles.
Just as the sun was setting behind the woods, the pine marten appeared. He gave me 90 seconds of activity and I did what I could to make the most of it...
Sure it was a long day followed by a long drive home, but it was definitely worth the time, energy, and thermal stress.

Persistence pays off...
bruce
View attachment 77719
View attachment 77720
View attachment 77721
Bruce, these are great shots, your patience has been well rewarded.

Oliver

Amazing images. We have those here, but I have never seen one in the wild.
Thanks a lot :)
While they are not endangered, they are rare to see because they live in pine and spruce forests. Up until Thursday, I was like you... knew they are around, but never saw one in the wild. When I read reports of a pair of "semi-predictable" individuals, I decided to try to make it happen for myself.

cheers,
bruce

Persistence pays off...
bruce
View attachment 77719
View attachment 77720
View attachment 77721
Bruce , Awesome shots! It’s so gratifying when the plan comes together. 👍👍👍👍