Photography Equipment Insurance Options (retitled discussion)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hooligans Imagery

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
EDIT - March 17,2024
This post has been updated many times so I added the date for reference.

Shopping for insurance has been a challenge. This post reflects my experience. Some of the main reasons for this type of insurance is that it will cover things that other insurance would not cover such as falls over cliff, mysterious disappearance, or accidental damage (e.g. drops onto sidewalk). Read the Discussion of Photographic Equipment Insurance on NANPA Blog

As you read this consider whether you earn any revenue at all from your images.

Revenue Generating Group - If you do generate revenue, most homeowners insurance does not cover you. That could be a benefit in purchasing coverage which is "secondary" or "excess." In this case, since homeowners doesn't cover you, it is really primary insurance. Note that some high end homeowner's like Chubb has limited business coverage subject to deductibles. If you are in this group, then any of the coverages below could be appropriate.

NON Revenue Generating - you want to make sure it's not secondary to your homeowners. You can look at Hill&Usher and NANPA first.

Primary Insurance Policies Available to Both Hobbiest and Professional - These top two seem to be the most knowledgeable and oriented to photographers.

1. NANPA - NANPA has a lower membership cost of $100 than PPA (see below) that entitles you to purchase coverage underwritten by Chubb and now sold through Cross (formerly Rand) in the US. Different seller in Canada. $250 deductible and a cost of .0245 cents of value insured (minimum premium $350). They do allow an unscheduled amount with a $500 limit on any single item. I spoke to them and they told me it's a business policy and should not impact your homeowners. Appears to be a strong policy. See post 176 regarding this policy which appears to prorate coverage with other insurance but I am told by the agent that only applies if you file multiple claims, and if you only file on this policy it does not apply. The cost of membership plus premium is similar to the quote I got for Hill&Usher. Chubb is a known high end insurer so I favor this provider. Update August 2024. The broker is easy to work with. Interesting in that they only revalue the schedule once a year. You can add things throughout the year, and if you want to delete things just do it before the next billing. There are no surcharges in the middle of the year. You need to have your receipt and serial number to list an item.
  2. Hill&Usher - Program Details includes replacement cost, theft, accidental damage. Have to ask for international coverage. They have a specific option for hobby photography. They tell me their insurance is PRIMARY. They have lots of add ons for the professional. Website says - Package Choice Insurance for Photographers is affordable. Our more comprehensive, full featured products typically start at $500 in annual premium. We also offer basic policies with varying minimum premiums below $500, including equipment only options for $300 annually. I was quoted $565 for 18,000 of coverage. The proposal doesn't specify the underwriter.
Secondary Insurance and Homeowners Riders
  1. Homeowners Rider - NOT recommended - claims could cause you to be rated on your Homeowners and as of today in some markets, policies are hard to replace.
  2. Stand Alone Personal Property Policy for NON Revenue Generator: WARNING - THESE SEEM TO BE SECONDARY OR EXCESS POLICIES WHICH MEANS YOU STILL NEED TO MAKE A CLAIM ON YOUR HOMEOWNERS since you can't generate photography revenue in order to qualify. See post 192 for my discussion with USAA for example. To me it’s just not clear that a claim will be paid with the language in these policies. They might be, IF you don’t make a claim on another policy.
    • USAA - requires membership eligibility. Called Valuable Personal Property Insurance for Cameras but includes other items, For $15,000 coverage (the PPA included level) as a standalone policy without a deductible - cost of $361. No Professional Coverage is available but USAA does sell small business insurance. Website says it covers theft, losses and drops and breaks. NO DEDUCTIBLE. PERSONAL USE ONLY
    • StateFarm offers similar it appears for those that don't qualify for USAA. ASSUME PERSONAL USE ONLY
  3. Stand Alone Personal Property Policy for NON Revenue or Revenue Generator:
    • ProPhotographers Insurance by RNVA Quoted at $181 for 22,000 of coverage camera and 10,000 electronic data equipement, with no membership required. If you choose the PREMIER PHOTOGRAPHERS LINK your policy covers unattended vehicles. THEY ARE VERY VAGUE IN HOW THE SECONDARY TERM APPLIES. I had quite a bit of interaction with them. While they are nice, I came away not trusting them due to their refusal to answer simple questions about how their policy interacts with my homeowners policy.
  4. Photography Organization Sponsored Coverage for NON Revenue or Revenue Generator:
    • PPA - Like the policies above, the Basic Photo is excess insurance. The PhotoCare Plus appears to be party primary and part excess. See post 169 in this thread. They told me on the phone that they do ask to see other policies when there is a claim. Available for members ($323 annually vs $100 for NANPA) and includes a basic 15,000 level IF you activate it. Online quote available. Link shows comparison chart of coverages available with cost estimator. Per PPA if you have the included coverage you MUST file a police report for a loss. If you have the Plus you don't need to as that is the mysterious disappearance coverage. They also confirmed the basic PhotoCare policy comes with a $350 deductible to fully replace an equipment item and $50 to repair an item. For the PhotoCare Plus policy the $250 deductible applies to any loss.
  5. Small business coverage: such as provided by Hiscox with a Personal Property floater - I pay $360 a year for a $1,000,000 general liability policy for my very small coffee business. I am guessing there is more uncertainty with this as it's not camera specific. I was quoted $525 as an add on so that doesn't make sense for me, but it could in other situations. THIS IS BASICALLY GETTING AN INLAND MARINE (INSURANCE TERM) POLICY ALONG WITH OTHER LIABILITY PROTECTION.

High Level Analysis
Choices 1 and 2 under Primary seem best in all cases. Clearly primary polices. The homeowner's rider and stand alone personal property routes don't seem like good choices as they could impact your homeowner's policy. I did not like RVNA in the end. PPA looks attractive but membership is much more than NANPA (I haven't compared those benefits) and the basic insurance is excess and the Plus is costly. I purchased and cancelled both RVNA and USAA because they did not disclose they were secondary. I ended up choosing NANPA because Chubb the underwriter is a strong carrier. The policy is issued as a commercial Inland Marine policy (yes funny name used in the industry) which means it should not impact your homeowners. I choose this over Hill&Usher for the benefits of NANPA for roughly the same price. If you are a professional and looking for more than gear insurance, I recommend you look at Hill&Usher first.

Original Post Deleted

Last edited:
Have you priced a specific policy from a separate carrier (other than the insurer for your home/auto)? State Farm used to offer personal equipment polices (did not inquire about business policies) a few years ago, and they were competitive.

Good luck,

--Ken

Is $15k the limit? Because it's not hard to accumulate enough Z gear to bust through that ceiling
True but for me probably ok at least for now.
Have you priced a specific policy from a separate carrier (other than the insurer for your home/auto)? State Farm used to offer personal equipment polices (did not inquire about business policies) a few years ago, and they were competitive.

Good luck,

--Ken
No but I am trying to assess reliability and the value of the other benefits of PPA.

i have PPA but haven't done a claim. mostly i have it for the general liability which is needed to shoot at some venues.

yah, $15k probably doesn't cover everything, but maybe it covers most of what you might be carrying at a given time.

as for other benefits for PPA, i think they have some contract templates and stuff like that. they have forums which i only glanced at. tbh the insurance is the primary benfit for me.

oh, be aware, the PPA insurance isn't available in all states so double check it's available in _your_ state

Haven’t used them but my insurance for just two big primes and two bodies is like $45k in coverage.
Ok I have found that you can purchase additional insurance at a discounted rate.

PhotoCare Plus​

Need more coverage? No problem. We offer an option to purchase a more comprehensive policy, PhotoCare Plus, through our partner at a discounted rate. Compare PhotoCare and PhotoCare Plus policies here. Find comfort in knowing that your camera equipment is protected from damage, theft, and other unforeseen events that occur in the studio, off-site, or wherever your travels take you.

I had my Nikon 600mm F:4g VR and my 200-500mm F:5.6 g VR on the homeowners policy. When the 200-500 became stuck I called my insurance company (Auto Owners) to check on procedure. I was told the policy would not cover it because they said it was a maintenance issue. Also they could not tell me how to perform the maintenance. I have gotten this same reasoning from other insurance companies when I was looking for a new company, Currently I do not have any coverage . When I go out with those two lens 600mm cag is put in the seat and shoulder harness and the 200-500 sit a a large bean bag on the front floor. I would check your homeowners policy to see just what they say that they are covering.

I had my Nikon 600mm F:4g VR and my 200-500mm F:5.6 g VR on the homeowners policy. When the 200-500 became stuck I called my insurance company (Auto Owners) to check on procedure. I was told the policy would not cover it because they said it was a maintenance issue. Also they could not tell me how to perform the maintenance. I have gotten this same reasoning from other insurance companies when I was looking for a new company, Currently I do not have any coverage . When I go out with those two lens 600mm cag is put in the seat and shoulder harness and the 200-500 sit a a large bean bag on the front floor. I would check your homeowners policy to see just what they say that they are covering.
100% covered for loss. Not maintenance. They are listed on a rider. Means no deductible in this case.

Well how would I perform maintenance on my 200-500??? Nobody can tell me this, There is no way to perform maintenance on a lens if you don't have formal camera repair training.
Ironically if you had dropped it while trying to do the maintenance that you're not trained to do they'd have covered the damage.

Before I went to Africa end of last year, I threw my new Z equipment on a Homeowners rider and now I am seeing these Professional Photographers of America benefits of being a member which is roughly the cost of my rider as I recall. Has anyone had experience with PPA claims? Or the other benefits? Are they useful?

Now I am seeing that included in a PPA membership for $326 a year is:

Photography equipment doesn’t come cheap, and operating without insurance is a risky business. Membership helps you protect the tools that are essential to your craft with:

• Up to $15,000 in equipment coverage
  • $50 flat deductible for equipment repairs
  • $350 flat deductible for full replacement of equipment loss

While I would have zero deductible on my rider, and the rider cost is similar to this, there are these additional benefits:
  • Full membership is the total package! Open to anyone who lives in the US and its territories, you get:
    • $15,000 equipment insurance policy
    • Data loss protection
    • Access to all online education
    • Online referral database listing
    • Printed and digital monthly issues of Professional Photographer magazine
    • One full registration to Imaging USA the first year of membership
    • Business Resources
    • Contracts and Copyright Resources
    • Access to Member Discount Program
    • Weekly newsletter
Since I do not run a commercial photography business this was not really appealing to me and I do not need the liability coverage etc.. and the cost of adding additional coverage beyond the $15,000 was a lot more expensive and my rider has no deductibles for repair or replacement.

I use a rider on my homeowners policy BUT it is clear that if you do anything "professional" (including the sale of one photo) then your equipment is not covered.

What is considered "professional" is dependent on the insurance company. I specifically asked for my policy what was considered "professional", as I sell the occasional print. My insurance company said they don't consider me professional until it hits a certain percentage of my income. For better or worse my photo sales are unlikely to ever hit that percentage. If I do somehow hit the "professional level the same coverage is available, but the rates are higher.

What is considered "professional" is dependent on the insurance company. I specifically asked for my policy what was considered "professional", as I sell the occasional print.
It is important to check this detail - and ideally to get the answer confirmed by the insurer.

While "home owners insurance" cover can be less expensive it is usually on the basis of no or little paid photography.

It can also be important to check how much theft cover there is for theft from an unoccupied car, especially overnight.

I had my Nikon 600mm F:4g VR and my 200-500mm F:5.6 g VR on the homeowners policy. When the 200-500 became stuck I called my insurance company (Auto Owners) to check on procedure. I was told the policy would not cover it because they said it was a maintenance issue.

In the UK I think this would be called wear & tear which would not be covered by insurance for loss or damage. Would you make a claim for a carpet that had worn out?

I also use a rider on our homeowner policy. As a few others have pointed out, my homeowner rider precludes being a professional which the insurance company means I make no revenue from my photography. Even some of the small amounts some of my photography friends derive selling their work would void my coverage.

I have a rider on my homeowners. Unfortunately, it has the same deductible applied as the rest of my homeowner's policy ($1,000) so the first grand is on me.
In general, and I'm sure others have much better experiences, I've found insurance companies are great at writing policies and even better at accepting your money. However, when it comes to giving any of your money back, they become far less friendly and helpful.

Jeff

I had my Nikon 600mm F:4g VR and my 200-500mm F:5.6 g VR on the homeowners policy. When the 200-500 became stuck I called my insurance company (Auto Owners) to check on procedure. I was told the policy would not cover it because they said it was a maintenance issue.
Insurance is primarily about external damage or theft - not about something that wears out or needs a service.

If you drop a lens the cost of repair is likely to be covered.

If it stops working because it had been used a lot - this is not covered by "accidental damage" insurance.

Clearly some insurance companies allow some revenue and some don't. I think mine is 25k which is fine for my very small coffee business. For the comparison though if you have equipment under 15,000 it seems that PPA could be a good deal.

Seems like few have taken advantage of their education offerings and other benefits though. I wonder what discounts are offered under that program.

I have a rider on my homeowners. Unfortunately, it has the same deductible applied as the rest of my homeowner's policy ($1,000) so the first grand is on me.
In general, and I'm sure others have much better experiences, I've found insurance companies are great at writing policies and even better at accepting your money. However, when it comes to giving any of your money back, they become far less friendly and helpful.

Jeff
Good point. I do a fair amount of photography from a kayak and the policy does cover dropping it in the water - always a risk with a fairly heavy rig (currently Z9 with Sigma Sport 150-600). The policy does cover lost a sea - probably my biggest risk using my gear. I do have correspondence saying this is covered. Like Karen my policy is for an amunt on each item listed, I did need to show receipts and serial numbers.
As new equipment is added I drop older equipment.
I am keeping fingers crossed I do not need to use the policy but it gives me peace of mind.

Back