Photography Equipment Insurance Options (retitled discussion)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The proof is in the pudding...I'd love to hear from folks that have experience filing claims with these underwriters. I can pay on a policy for years and feel like everything is ok but the real test is what they do with claims.

Here's a deal for you, I'll give you $100,000 of coverage for $10 a year. Send me your money and you can feel warm and fuzzy about your photo equipment being insured. But guess what I'm going to do when you file a claim? Section 24, subparagraph 37b states you're not covered for that because of <insert something stupid here>.

Or too many people file claims and I'll just close the business and take my money elsewhere. Bigger companies cant do that but the smaller ones can, and have, done that exact thing.

181 for 32k of insurance is poking into the territory of sounding too good to be true. I don't mean to sound negative but I'm a bit skeptical. Insurance companies are accepting the liability for expensive, fragile, and highly mobile equipment....they need to be in the tried-and-true category (for me) so I know they'll be there at the end.
My experience is insurance companies and banks are great at accepting your money, but really stink when it comes to giving your money back.

Discovered a new option but have not investigated it fully. First post updated.

Hill&Usher

I wanted to give people an update with my experience with RVNA which is underwritten by Allianz
When you are sent the policy you are sent a general policy and it hard to find the relevant part for your gear. I found the Entertainment Articles Floater ENTEF 000 01 19. This starts on page 101 of the PDF I was sent which has 206 pages.

I had a couple of questions I am trying to get an understanding of, and I post them here so people have an idea of what they may ask their brokers.
  1. How does the newly acquired provision work? I have 30 days to report new property? I am confused because the property isn’t scheduled, but a new lens is a purchase date after the start of the policy. So for example, if I purchase a new lens but no longer keep another or sell something what do I do under this provision?
  2. Neglect provision - This says FURTHER damage. So I am still covered if my tripod falls over when someone knocks if over on a tripod? I did some research on the actual language and found this website on the term and so I think it's fine. It's protecting the property after a loss.
Here were other general questions I was curious about.
  • I see that the territory is anywhere except where you legally can’t provide coverage? Where would that be?
  • Replacement cost requires replacement of the property - understood - is upgrading allowed? I have a Z9 camera and say a Z10 comes out can I upgrade?
  • If there is a theft or any law broken I have to file a police report. What happens if the item is stolen in an airport and I have to catch my plane home?
Any more on this? I discovered them yesterday and have started looking into it some, but can't find much on them in the way of past experience. I did read the policy you posted, thanks for that.

I shoot in professional environments but not as a professional photographer in the strict sense of the word, if that makes sense. I don't need business liability, just gear coverage. My HO policy won't cover damage from drops and spills or theft outside of the home.

Their policy for gear replacement seems fairly straightforward and I like the idea of not having to list every piece of gear. I believe your interpretation of point #2 in your post is correct. It means that if something is damaged you agree to minimize and protect from additional damage, it's meant to limit increased repair costs. Hower, I cannot find the 'newly acquired' provision you reference in point #1. It seems counterintuitive that one would have to report a new purchase when the policy maximum is based on a lump-sum. Can you point me to this? Perhaps it's in a section that doesn't apply to me and I just skimmed it.

Interested in hearing their response on these questions. Thanks!

Any more on this? I discovered them yesterday and have started looking into it some, but can't find much on them in the way of past experience. I did read the policy you posted, thanks for that.

I shoot in professional environments but not as a professional photographer in the strict sense of the word, if that makes sense. I don't need business liability, just gear coverage. My HO policy won't cover damage from drops and spills or theft outside of the home.

Their policy for gear replacement seems fairly straightforward and I like the idea of not having to list every piece of gear. I believe your interpretation of point #2 in your post is correct. It means that if something is damaged you agree to minimize and protect from additional damage, it's meant to limit increased repair costs. Hower, I cannot find the 'newly acquired' provision you reference in point #1. It seems counterintuitive that one would have to report a new purchase when the policy maximum is based on a lump-sum. Can you point me to this? Perhaps it's in a section that doesn't apply to me and I just skimmed it.

Interested in hearing their response on these questions. Thanks!
It's just what they told me. And the date of purchase is what seems to drive it. What I would do is report a reduction in prior coverage and increase for new purchases. Honestly, the differences are so small in cost you might just do a reset each year upon renewal. Meaning just report new gear and if really big maybe adjust original coverage, but if not, upon renewal make sure your value is correct.

I would consider the Hill and Usher as well.

It's just what they told me. And the date of purchase is what seems to drive it. What I would do is report a reduction in prior coverage and increase for new purchases. Honestly, the differences are so small in cost you might just do a reset each year upon renewal. Meaning just report new gear and if really big maybe adjust original coverage, but if not, upon renewal make sure your value is correct.

I would consider the Hill and Usher as well.
What I intend to do is to set my limit at the maximum amount of gear I would have out on a shoot at any given time. A catastrophic claim for my homeowner's would cover whatever is left behind in my absence. In the event everything is at home, then the homeowner's would cover up to whatever they approve, and the gear insurance will pick up the rest. I already have too much insurance cost including a $1M liability/umbrella policy, so anything I can do to cut premiums without risking coverage is welcomed.

I'll look into Hill and Usher, thanks.

I wish someone could post some anecdotal or empirical information on some of these companies. This is the third forum I've checked and so far nada.

What I intend to do is to set my limit at the maximum amount of gear I would have out on a shoot at any given time. A catastrophic claim for my homeowner's would cover whatever is left behind in my absence. In the event everything is at home, then the homeowner's would cover up to whatever they approve, and the gear insurance will pick up the rest. I already have too much insurance cost including a $1M liability/umbrella policy, so anything I can do to cut premiums without risking coverage is welcomed.

I'll look into Hill and Usher, thanks.

I wish someone could post some anecdotal or empirical information on some of these companies. This is the third forum I've checked and so far nada.
I thought a few people mentioned claims but not with Hill or RVNA.
I think you should reconsider the approach of involving homeowners. If you do that you will then be rated and that cost will go up quite a bit. Focus just on this independent coverage.

Homeowner's won't cover damage from drops and spills when I'm in the field.

I checked into Hill (package), website says only professionals, you have to list a business type to apply.

According to RVNA, any alternate insurance pays first and they pick up the difference. Based on that it's irrelevant, the homeowner's policy will be involved regardless. And honestly, if the SHTF to that extend I'm going to have more problems to worry about than claiming $20K worth of gear.

Homeowner's won't cover damage from drops and spills when I'm in the field.

I checked into Hill (package), website says only professionals, you have to list a business type to apply.

According to RVNA, any alternate insurance pays first and they pick up the difference. Based on that it's irrelevant, the homeowner's policy will be involved regardless. And honestly, if the SHTF to that extend I'm going to have more problems to worry about than claiming $20K worth of gear.
That's not what my policy says. Show me where you see that? IF that is true the policy is worthless.

EDIT - new title to thread and I will update the summary as this goes along so that people have a reference here.

D Minimum deductible is $500 on online pricing so many repairs won't be covered, but consider if you have to replace a motherboard in the camera.
Caution - there is likely an "electrical breakdown" exclusion that would exclude failure of a motherboard.

As several have said this type of insurance generally covers external damage and not internal failure - whether mechanical or electrical.

That's not what my policy says. Show me where you see that? IF that is true the policy is worthless.
When you sign up for a quote it asks you what type of business you are, sole proprietorship, Limited Liability, etc. There is no choice for hobbyist or amateur. I was going to send them an email and ask, but they use only telephone, so I'll try them tomorrow. FWIW, a friend of mine who is a real pro (think Indy 500, Superbowl, etc.) advised me to contact them as well, so I'm going to follow through with him too. Also, it looks like their premium is at least twice the amount as RNVA, they start at $400 or $500 depending on the state.

Well I did find a clause so I have emailed them asking for clarification. If that is true, this policy is worthless to me. I want to avoid my homeowners.
There's a choice when you sign up for 'hobbyist', in the very first box. But, it doesn't change any of the questions. They still want to know your business type, etc.

I keep looking at RVNA, it still looks like the best choice for me. Wish someone with some experience could chime in

There's a choice when you sign up for 'hobbyist', in the very first box. But, it doesn't change any of the questions. They still want to know your business type, etc.

I keep looking at RVNA, it still looks like the best choice for me. Wish someone with some experience could chime in
Post on the Z9 PRO Facebook group. I have seen insurance mentioned.

If you are right and it's secondary insurance; it's basically worthless if homeowners covers an item. I have asked for clarification.

Last edited:
Post on the Z9 PRO Facebook group. I have seen insurance mentioned.

If you are right and it's secondary insurance; it's basically worthless if homeowners covers an item. I have asked for clarification.
I don't think worthless. My homeowner's policy will cover incidental or what they consider 'normal' for a homeowner. Does that include an A7 IV, A1, etc. etc.? Doubtful. I would get them to pay whatever I can argue out of them and have this secondary company cover the rest.

I am never going to even get close to actual camera value without spending a lot of money on the premium. I have a collection of old film cameras, plus a handful of SLRs and some DSLRs, lenses, etc. In case of catastrophe, I would probably just consider those a loss if it comes down to choosing between them or my daily use stuff.

I have confirmed from RVNA this morning that the policy is secondary and would be a good policy where your homeowners completely excludes business use and you in fact have some business use. With even small sales one can do other steps to confirm a business. I will be confirming a policy like this will cover a deductible under your homeowners.

I have confirmed from RVNA this morning that the policy is secondary and would be a good policy where your homeowners completely excludes business use and you in fact have some business use. With even small sales one can do other steps to confirm a business. I will be confirming a policy like this will cover a deductible under your homeowners.
Absolutely not interested in confirming a business. I don't want a Tax ID number, DBA, and all the garbage that goes with it.

Absolutely not interested in confirming a business. I don't want a Tax ID number, DBA, and all the garbage that goes with it.
If you you are a member of Professional Photographers of America, equipment insurance is available via their PhotoCare and PhotoCare Plus offerings. The insurance is provided by Lockton Affinity and is available to hobbyists.

PhotoCare is provided with PPA membership and provides $15K ($350 deductible) for unscheduled equipment.

PhotoCare Plus provides insurance up to $100K ($250 deductible). It offers replacement value for loss of scheduled equipment, depreciated cash value for unscheduled equipment. Its cost begins at $175 annually.

Policy highlights available here:

If you you are a member of Professional Photographers of America, equipment insurance is available via their PhotoCare and PhotoCare Plus offerings. The insurance is provided by Lockton Affinity and is available to hobbyists.

PhotoCare is provided with PPA membership and provides $15K ($350 deductible) for unscheduled equipment.

PhotoCare Plus provides insurance up to $100K ($250 deductible). It offers replacement value for loss of scheduled equipment, depreciated cash value for unscheduled equipment. Its cost begins at $175 annually.

Policy highlights available here:
This is covered as item 4 in my first post which I have been updating. Have you direct experience with claims from them?

I spoke to RNVA again this morning. Due to their unwillingness to answer questions about the interplay with my homeowners I will be cancelling.
That settles that then. I have approached my homeowner's carrier again for more details. I am also going to talk to Hill and Usher as well because of the recommendation I received but need to know more about non-pro coverage first.

That settles that then. I have approached my homeowner's carrier again for more details. I am also going to talk to Hill and Usher as well because of the recommendation I received but need to know more about non-pro coverage first.
FYI I am looking because I don't want a claim on my homeowners. You can try State Farm or if you qualify USAA but they aren't the least expensive.

I just got off the phone with Hill and Usher. They will provide insurance to an amateur, but still recommend some kind of liability. (ie: Junior is walking past your camera bag and trips over it, knocking out his front teeth on the sidewalk). They are stand alone and don't care if the gear is at home when it's stolen, it's still covered. They cover theft/breakage/fire/etc. If your camera bag is stolen from between your feet, as in the example given above, it is covered. If you hand your bag to some guy and ask him to hold it, and he takes off, it is not covered. It is covered in your vehicle even if the vehicle is not locked with a policy option. Sounds perfect until I get to the premium. $500/year for gear only, $650 for gear plus some liability.

Back