Planning a trip to Yellowstone N.P. August 2024

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Marco74

Dear All,
I'm planning our next summer trip with my family, starting from Montana.
Our first stop will be Yellowstone NP, where we'd like to spend at least 3/4 days. After that, visit Grand Teton NP and Moab to visit Arches and Canyonlands.
We have 13 days available, and probably we'll have to go to Las Vegas to take the return flight to Europe.
We are passionate about landscapes and wildlife photography.
How many days do you recommend to spend in each location?
It's our first trip so that any suggestions will be appreciated!
Many thanks
Marco

I look forward to hearing suggestions from people who have been to Yellowstone many times. We've been once, in late September several years ago. It is a fascinating place, well worth the trip.

But Yellowstone in August is going to be exceptionally crowded. As it is a huge park, understand the travel distances involved within the park (car traffic will make going from point A to B surprisingly slow at times).

I expect the other places on your list will also be very busy, but Yellowstone will be completely packed.

Dear All,
I'm planning our next summer trip with my family, starting from Montana.
Our first stop will be Yellowstone NP, where we'd like to spend at least 3/4 days. After that, visit Grand Teton NP and Moab to visit Arches and Canyonlands.
We have 13 days available, and probably we'll have to go to Las Vegas to take the return flight to Europe.
We are passionate about landscapes and wildlife photography.
How many days do you recommend to spend in each location?
It's our first trip so that any suggestions will be appreciated!
Many thanks
Marco
Hi Marco,
That sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned, but it also covers a very large geography! If you’re just looking to hit several western parks on a whirlwind first tour, you’ll be spending a lot of time in the car. On the other hand, if you’re interested in focusing on great landscapes and wildlife opportunities, you might want to consider picking just one or two parks - say Yellowstone and Grand Teton, which can be covered reasonably well in 13 days. Like most national parks in the U.S., they will be very crowded during summer months (so plan your time accordingly), but it’s possible to sidestep some of the hordes by getting out early and staying late, and by doing a little hiking. There are many great locations in YNP and GTNP - I’m more familiar with Yellowstone, where the Lamar Valley is my preferred area, although Hayden Valley is a close second. My personal travel philosophy is always “less is more”, which allows me to get a deeper, more meaningful understanding of an area by spending less time in the car and more time on the ground. But of course, everyone is different. Best of luck!

I look forward to hearing suggestions from people who have been to Yellowstone many times. We've been once, in late September several years ago. It is a fascinating place, well worth the trip.

But Yellowstone in August is going to be exceptionally crowded. As it is a huge park, understand the travel distances involved within the park (car traffic will make going from point A to B surprisingly slow at times).

I expect the other places on your list will also be very busy, but Yellowstone will be completely packed.
Unfortunately, August is not the best period of the year to go there, we know that. But I'm from Italy, and we only have long holiday periods that month.
Every year is always the same pain. In August all the places around the world are crowded, and the prices are very high. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice.
Ciao

Hi Marco,
That sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned, but it also covers a very large geography! If you’re just looking to hit several western parks on a whirlwind first tour, you’ll be spending a lot of time in the car. On the other hand, if you’re interested in focusing on great landscapes and wildlife opportunities, you might want to consider picking just one or two parks - say Yellowstone and Grand Teton, which can be covered reasonably well in 13 days. Like most national parks in the U.S., they will be very crowded during summer months (so plan your time accordingly), but it’s possible to sidestep some of the hordes by getting out early and staying late, and by doing a little hiking. There are many great locations in YNP and GTNP - I’m more familiar with Yellowstone, where the Lamar Valley is my preferred area, although Hayden Valley is a close second. My personal travel philosophy is always “less is more”, which allows me to get a deeper, more meaningful understanding of an area by spending less time in the car and more time on the ground. But of course, everyone is different. Best of luck!
Many thanks for your advice.
I know there are better times to visit the parks, but unfortunately, we have only long holidays in August.
I also must consider my son's age; he's seventeen, and I'm trying to add some places (like Moab and Las Vegas) where I'm sure he will not be bored.
One alternative could be spending more time in the area, skipping Las Vegas, and taking a return flight from Salt Lake City.
Marco

I know there are better times to visit the parks, but unfortunately, we have only long holidays in August.
I also must consider my son's age; he's seventeen, and I'm trying to add some places (like Moab and Las Vegas) where I'm sure he will not be bored.
One alternative could be spending more time in the area, skipping Las Vegas, and taking a return flight from Salt Lake City.
Marco
The NPs you mention are a lot more interesting to me than Las Vegas, so unless you had a burning desire to see Vegas (and in August, burning desire is the right description) I'd consider skipping it.

The parks will be very crowded, but understand your constraints. If this trip is for 2024, you probably need to think about getting lodging around Yellowstone now.

Marco
In that case, you might consider flying into Vegas, spending a few days there for your son, then just driving to some of the Utah parks. Both Zion and Bryce are spectacular, and there’s plenty there to keep a young man engaged - a hike up the Virgin River through the slots, Angels Landing and Overlook trails (challenging, and thrilling!), the Bryce Hoodoos, etc. - and of course Moab. There’s plenty in this area to keep you busy for 13 days (or 10 after a stay in Vegas), and the landscape photo opportunities are second to none. Just keep in mind the crowds, and plan accordingly.

Just a personal anecdote: I’m not a Vegas kind of person but, several years ago, my daughter found out that I was flying into Vegas for a trip to Zion & Bryce, and insisted that I spend a few days in the city. She put together a very sweet and thoughtful itinerary for me, and I actually had a nice time. I had never been to a gambling mecca before (I’m probably the only person to visit Vegas and not gamble!) so it was a real eye opener. Not that I would ever willing go back but it was still a fun diversion. I’m sure that your son would love it!

Last edited:
In that case, you might consider flying into Vegas, spending a few days there for your son, then just driving to some of the Utah parks. Both Zion and Bryce are spectacular, and there’s plenty there to keep a young man engaged - a hike up the Virgin River through the slots, Angels Landing and Overlook trails (challenging, and thrilling!), the Bryce Hoodoos, etc. - and of course Moab. There’s plenty in this area to keep you busy for 13 days (or 10 after a stay in Vegas), and the landscape photo opportunities are second to none. Just keep in mind the crowds, and plan accordingly.

Just a personal anecdote: I’m not a Vegas kind of person but, several years ago, my daughter found out that I was flying into Vegas for a trip to Zion & Bryce, and insisted that I spend a few days in the city. She put together a very sweet and thoughtful itinerary for me, and I actually had a nice time. I had never been to a gambling mecca before (I’m probably the only person to visit Vegas and not gamble!) so it was a real eye opener. Not that I would ever willing go back but it was still a fun diversion. I’m sure that you son would love it!
I think you need a reservation for trails like Angels Landing in Zion. Which is also super crowded in the summer. But research can help.

I highly recommend spending at a bare minimum 2 days in Grand Teton National Park. The wildlife is on par with Yellowstone and views are far superior. Opportunities for wildlife shots with mountains the the background
The Tetons are gorgeous, but the hot springs in Yellowstone are amazing.

All of these places are great! Just do a lot of advance planning (how to get into parks, distances, lodging) etc.

Marco,
Bozeman has a really great camera store, Bozeman Camera and Repair. They have an amazing selection of cameras, lenses and gear. Also do rentals.
From Bozeman I’d recommend entering the Yellowstone from the north entrance (Gardiner), West Yellowstone is just to crazy. That will give you easy access to Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris, Tower Roosevelt, Lamar Valley and Canyon Village to get started. For Yellowstone I’d plan on a minimum of 5-6 days. At Old Faithful there is an elevated overlook, little bit of a walk but a totally different view. Also at Grand Prismatic there is another short walk from Fairy Falls trail for an elevated view. Maybe look at staying at Canyon Village as it’s fairly central located in the park.

For Grand Tetons plan on 2-3 days. For moose try Moose Wilson Road and Gros Ventre Road and the campground. For scenic views try Morman Row and for a sunrise try Schwabacher Landing.

For Arches and Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Point State Park. WARNING the last I knew Arches was requiring reservations. Recommend getting and early start for sunrise and then take a break to avoid the heat go back out for sunset and maybe some night photography. If you are interested in possibly shooting the Milky Way contact Tom Till Photography in Moab.

Yellowstone is an amazing place (both because of the landscape opportunities and the wildlife) and Grand Teton National Park is also great for both. If I were you, I would try and plan for two separate aspects of your trip, landscape and wildlife since there is an abundance of both at Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. It would take too long to give you all of the specifics, but there are definitely areas in Yellowstone that are known more for wildlife sightings then others (some mentioned by others in this thread). In Grand Teton NP you may want to take the boat ride on Jenny’s Lake and the hike after (You can go for a short distance or very far - it’s up to you).

Also, as others have mentioned the national parks in August will be crowded. Also, every year even aside from major construction projects they often repave the roads in Yellowstone. Since almost all of the roads in Yellowstone are two lanes (one in each direction) when they repave they close one lane of travel and traffic then only has the other lane to travel. Therefore, you often have to wait 30-45 minutes for your turn to travel that one lane. It can be frustrating, but if you know ahead of time that it will happen it is less frustrating.

Moab is truly unique and is great for landscape shots. I am probably not telling you anything you don’t already know, but the U.S. Southwest desert in August can be extremely hot (like 40-49 degrees Celsius (104 -120 F) or hotter). If you have not experienced that kind of heat first-hand it is difficult to convey what that feels like and what it means when you are hiking. If you plan to hike I would strongly suggest you do so in the early morning (6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m) and later in the day (6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m). If you hike any distance from park facilities there will be many places where there is no water available. So, I would bring and carry lots and lots of water. A large hydration pack works well, but I would carry other water too.

You may also want to consider checking out the National Elk Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, as well as the town of Jackson (a/k/a Jackson Hole) which has a lot to do and see. The following is from the Recreation.gov web site (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/gateways/1532). “Driving directions to the National Elk Refuge which is located just northeast of the town of Jackson, Wyoming, and directly south of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are as follows: U.S. Highways 26/191 pass directly through Jackson and 6 miles of refuge lands. The visitor center is located on the north side of Jackson at 532 North Cache Street, and the Refuge administrative headquarters is located on Broadway Street, 1 mile east of the Jackson town square. Directions are as follows: Latitude - 43° 33' 10.4400" N / Longitude 110° 40' 41.5200" W.”

Whatever you do, I am sure you will have a great trip. There are so many amazing things to see and do in any and all of the places you are planning to visit.

The NPs you mention are a lot more interesting to me than Las Vegas, so unless you had a burning desire to see Vegas (and in August, burning desire is the right description) I'd consider skipping it.

The parks will be very crowded, but understand your constraints. If this trip is for 2024, you probably need to think about getting lodging around Yellowstone now.
Unfortunately, family trips, especially with young guys, are a series of compromises, so for a peaceful life, it is crucial to differentiate and try to make everyone happy. They can say the same thing about me. 😅

Just a personal anecdote: I’m not a Vegas kind of person but, several years ago, my daughter found out that I was flying into Vegas for a trip to Zion & Bryce, and insisted that I spend a few days in the city. She put together a very sweet and thoughtful itinerary for me, and I actually had a nice time. I had never been to a gambling mecca before (I’m probably the only person to visit Vegas and not gamble!) so it was a real eye opener. Not that I would ever willing go back but it was still a fun diversion. I’m sure that your son would love it!
Unfortunately for us Europeans, America is a distant and enormous place and, honestly, also economically challenging. We must carefully weigh the stages, looking for the right compromise, which includes seeing as much as possible without wasting time on things of little interest so as not to have to return to the same place several times unless particularly necessary.
I think Las Vegas must be seen once in a lifetime, but I don't think I'll return not being a family of gamblers.

In this specific case, Las Vegas will be the final stop of our trip because there is an excellent combination of flights that take us home. We will probably arrive in the city a few days early so as to also see the neighbouring parks. Thanks for the info.

Marco,
Bozeman has a really great camera store, Bozeman Camera and Repair. They have an amazing selection of cameras, lenses and gear. Also do rentals.
From Bozeman I’d recommend entering the Yellowstone from the north entrance (Gardiner), West Yellowstone is just to crazy. That will give you easy access to Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris, Tower Roosevelt, Lamar Valley and Canyon Village to get started. For Yellowstone I’d plan on a minimum of 5-6 days. At Old Faithful there is an elevated overlook, little bit of a walk but a totally different view. Also at Grand Prismatic there is another short walk from Fairy Falls trail for an elevated view. Maybe look at staying at Canyon Village as it’s fairly central located in the park.

For Grand Tetons plan on 2-3 days. For moose try Moose Wilson Road and Gros Ventre Road and the campground. For scenic views try Morman Row and for a sunrise try Schwabacher Landing.

For Arches and Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Point State Park. WARNING the last I knew Arches was requiring reservations. Recommend getting and early start for sunrise and then take a break to avoid the heat go back out for sunset and maybe some night photography. If you are interested in possibly shooting the Milky Way contact Tom Till Photography in Moab.
Thanks, it gave me a lot of valuable insights.
I also didn't yet know that a reservation was required for Arches. Now I can organize myself in time, so your warning was crucial.

I want to photograph the Milky Way; I have to see if it's scheduled for the days I'll spend in that area and if I'll be able to fit it in with the things to do.

I have already understood that I will have to return to Yellowstone at other times; seeing everything you need in one trip is impossible.
I also think that each season offers unique shows.

Thanks for all the information.

Yellowstone is an amazing place (both because of the landscape opportunities and the wildlife) and Grand Teton National Park is also great for both. If I were you, I would try and plan for two separate aspects of your trip, landscape and wildlife since there is an abundance of both at Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. It would take too long to give you all of the specifics, but there are definitely areas in Yellowstone that are known more for wildlife sightings then others (some mentioned by others in this thread). In Grand Teton NP you may want to take the boat ride on Jenny’s Lake and the hike after (You can go for a short distance or very far - it’s up to you).

Also, as others have mentioned the national parks in August will be crowded. Also, every year even aside from major construction projects they often repave the roads in Yellowstone. Since almost all of the roads in Yellowstone are two lanes (one in each direction) when they repave they close one lane of travel and traffic then only has the other lane to travel. Therefore, you often have to wait 30-45 minutes for your turn to travel that one lane. It can be frustrating, but if you know ahead of time that it will happen it is less frustrating.

Moab is truly unique and is great for landscape shots. I am probably not telling you anything you don’t already know, but the U.S. Southwest desert in August can be extremely hot (like 40-49 degrees Celsius (104 -120 F) or hotter). If you have not experienced that kind of heat first-hand it is difficult to convey what that feels like and what it means when you are hiking. If you plan to hike I would strongly suggest you do so in the early morning (6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m) and later in the day (6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m). If you hike any distance from park facilities there will be many places where there is no water available. So, I would bring and carry lots and lots of water. A large hydration pack works well, but I would carry other water too.

You may also want to consider checking out the National Elk Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, as well as the town of Jackson (a/k/a Jackson Hole) which has a lot to do and see. The following is from the Recreation.gov web site (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/gateways/1532). “Driving directions to the National Elk Refuge which is located just northeast of the town of Jackson, Wyoming, and directly south of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are as follows: U.S. Highways 26/191 pass directly through Jackson and 6 miles of refuge lands. The visitor center is located on the north side of Jackson at 532 North Cache Street, and the Refuge administrative headquarters is located on Broadway Street, 1 mile east of the Jackson town square. Directions are as follows: Latitude - 43° 33' 10.4400" N / Longitude 110° 40' 41.5200" W.”

Whatever you do, I am sure you will have a great trip. There are so many amazing things to see and do in any and all of the places you are planning to visit.
Thanks, FastGlassGuy, He gave me a lot of valuable insights.

I realize that August is not the best time due to too many people and the heat that will hit some areas. Unfortunately for us Italians, that month is the only time of the year when we have long holidays, so we have no choice.

I'm pretty used to travelling and more tough. My family is a little less, but we will certainly keep your instructions in mind and travel with a good water supply.
We will have a rental car, and we are already considering buying one of those camping fridges locally to keep drinks at an acceptable temperature.

I will also get a large hydration pack; it will undoubtedly be helpful, and since it is recyclable, it doesn't pollute much.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Back