Please stop brand bragging / bashing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If some one asked for an opinion or wants to have a debate I completely agree with you. If someone just asks other users of a specific brand their opinion on something I personally think it’s a different story. Sometimes all you are looking for is an echo chamber and not all the reasons why someone left a brand or thinks another brand is better. Photography for most of us is not just a hobby/business but an investment and not one we can either want to or afford to change. You may call it an echo chamber but sometimes people just want to vent to others and not be told all the reasons why someone thinks you made the wrong brand decision. My comment wasn’t directed at any specific conversation but rather in general. At the end of the day the cpu 4 inches behind the camera makes a bigger impact than what brand you are shooting.
I hear what you are saying and I agree that often a differing opinion isn’t requested. My personal attitude is to actually consider the offered yet not requested perspective and decide whether to discard it or not, rather than reject it outright based on the fact that it wasn’t requested. It’s more tiring and it can be frustrating but in the end I often learn a thing or two in the process (including about myself and where I draw lines).
Unfortunately I don’t seem able to apply this philosophy when my kids offer their unrequested opinions about my photography 🤣

I blocked just one member a long time ago and never looked back. Easy, peasey!

I have a Z7ii and a Z9. Care to guess which one took this picture? :unsure:

20220308-_Z728277.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Click on the name of the poster you want to ignore and there is the option to follow or ignore.

That will hide everything from that poster, even in the new posts feed. So if there is an occasional spammer it is useful. But is there a way to do that to a topic, so a topic doesn't show up in the new posts listing anymore? Sometimes after 3 or 4 hundred replies I've had enough of that thread for now but wouldnt want to ignore any of the participants. I know I can scan and skip but I'd rather click once to turn some threads off.

Since someone clicked an angry on my post I am revisiting this. So basically my statement was true but since it is expensive I am ignorant.
“Bragging” about travel is well liked but never about Sony AF.
These new rules of etiquette are getting weird
I hope you know, it would never be me to click an "angry emoji"... life is way too short to care that deeply about something like camera equipment.
We have had many solid interactions, even when we differ. In fact, there was not a moment during this exchange that I thought any less of you or your insight. From my end, I wanted you to know why I think these exchanges often get out of hand. By oversimplifying the differences between these various systems, each party takes their corner and feels the need to explain their rationale. Nobody wants their opinion to be denigrated, thus we all feel the need to explain ourselves.
For my part, I am making the same argument I have made for the last 20 years. When shooting Canon back in the day, I purchased used 1Dii / 5Dii cameras because it was a choice of travels to Africa or a 1DsIII... I chose the trip. I have never shot or owned Nikon's 200-400mm f/4VRII... I have wanted one, but it was $1500 (or more) less than a used 200-400VR1. The older tech met my needs, and this allowed me to put the additional money elsewhere.
I have done my own cost/benefit analyses with respect to Performance per Dollar expended... as such, I have not ordered a Z9, will not buy a 400mm f/2.8S, and probably will not get a 800PF. I have taken the less expensive road w/ MKii Z-bodies, a 200-400VR and 100-400Z. Why not the future 800PF?... my 500PF and D500 are close enough for what I shoot.
If I were to have a higher income, then I'd be using a Z9 w/ 400mm f2.8S or A1 with 400mm f/2.8GM + converters (I have no love for 600mm).
Hut... I'm always in for a thoughtful and respectful discussion with you.
cheers,
bruce

Reactions: Hut
I don't like to ignore a poster. Just because I am tired of some opinions does not make their input less valuable in other topics. I would much sooner be able to ignore a topic I am not interested in.

Why do people want the ability to ignore a thread or a member? I can ignore and have ignored threads, members and hell, even entire forums if I want, just by...doing it. Why ask the administrator of the board to do more work?
The ignore function is built into the forum. It's already there and you just have to click on a poster's name to find it. It doesn't involve any additional work by the administrator. I find it useful, other folks don't. The point is it's available should you choose to use it.

I wish there were an ignore feature for real life. I was working at a good location when another photographer arrived and went on and on about how awesome his new (specific brand irrelevant) camera is. He missed several good BIF opportunities because he was fixated on telling me how great his brand of camera is.

I hadn't asked about his camera. It was difficult to shut out the verbal barrage and I didn't want to be the jerk who tells him to his face to shut up so I tried disrupting his endless camera brand chatter by pointing out approaching photo ops, to no avail.

I use the ignore feature with some forum members when the s/n ratio is too low. Life's too short to spend any on pointless chatter.

The ignore function is built into the forum. It's already there and you just have to click on a poster's name to find it. It doesn't involve any additional work by the administrator. I find it useful, other folks don't. The point is it's available should you choose to use it.

Seeing a cluttered feed is a small price to pay for all the good information one gets here. It would just be a refinement I've seen on other forums. Just a made up example, if someone broke their lens hood and I don't have any suggestions for how to help them fix it, then after reading a few replies I'd rather not continue to get notified anymore in the new posts list every time someone has replied to that thread. Of course it's no big deal to see it and skip over it.

I wouldn't want to ignore the thread starter, I just have nothing to add about their lens hood and don't care about that particular topic.

Seeing a cluttered feed is a small price to pay for all the good information one gets here. It would just be a refinement I've seen on other forums. Just a made up example, if someone broke their lens hood and I don't have any suggestions for how to help them fix it, then after reading a few replies I'd rather not continue to get notified anymore in the new posts list every time someone has replied to that thread. Of course it's no big deal to see it and skip over it.

I wouldn't want to ignore the thread starter, I just have nothing to add about their lens hood and don't care about that particular topic.
I should perhaps point out that there are only a handfull of posters I ignore. They are mostly all brand warriors who almost always post stuff I have no interest in. I found myself getting drawn in to replying to them so to avoid that I just remove their posts. I realise it would not be everyone's way of doing things but it works for me.

Back