Plena lens for wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wonderful captures Steven! The mosquitoes definitely add to the frog's ambiance. How close was that Plena to the frog?
The male I was six or seven feet or so away -- too much grass in the way or the water to deep to get a clear shot any closer :) The female I was within 4 or feet or so. Trying to fill the frame with enough of the environment available. Both are cropped but by very little; just for perspective.

Hi Larry, how so? Maybe the f1.8? I guess I don't understand the Plena craze (yet).
Definitely the 1.8 but not so much about what that means about 'just' more light but what aperture means from lens performance -- but you'd need to talk to an engineer about that :) I bought the lens for portrait work, ultimately. Technically it's definitely the sibling of my 50 1.2 (another amazing lens), but as I rambled to Larry in a response (above) lenses can have character or personality of course and the Plena has a distinct feel in the images produced. I don't say any of that from a marketing point of view -- I didn't buy the lens to convince anyone else to buy the lens :) Cheers.

I lust after the Plena....but have yet to identify a "need" for it. I had a 300 f2.8......SUPERB lens....but always too short for wildlife so it always stayed home in the closet.

The 100-400 has twice the magnification of the Plena....so trying to justify the Plena for macro doesn't work for me.

I don't do portaits, etc.

I'll just have to admire this lens through the images you guys create!
I didn't get the Plena for macro work. I have used my macro 105 for frogs in the past because it's a very convenient focal length for the size of the subjects and where I can position myself in marsh mud to get at the subjects :) But the macro lens' magnification and DOF and challenges hand holding with that magnification, etc etc... I didn't overly like the macro 'look' of the frog results and stacking wasn't much of a convenient option for frogs -- tripod set up alone would definitely chase them away. So when I got the 135 I thought the focal length likely the perfect focal length for my web footed pals, plus I was loving the images the lens was producing in my street portrait work. Plus it's light enough that it makes possible easily holding the camera just above the water and using the LCD to compose the shot -- why I haven't successfully used my 600 tc to shoot frogs. But again, none of that had anything to do with why I bought the Plena -- just I have it and love it and wanted to see how it worked with wildlife. Cheers!

Back