Printing Paper Help!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

markymark

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I know it may not be everyones cup of tea, but I want to print the attached image of a Swan during takeoff & put it on my wall.
The problem I have is that there are so many different types of papers out there & I don't know which one to use.
I'd like to highlight certain aspects of the Swan namely the beads of water on & around it's neck & face & the wake & disruption it's leaving behind especially the water droplets in the air on the black background.
It will be mounted on a wall with a ceiling mounted picture light that is dimmable?
Also, I know it's a personal choice thing, but type of frame. I was looking at the shadow gap frames at Whitewall.
I'd love to know peoples thoughts & suggestions.
Many thanks
Mark.
MGP_0897-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have a printed sample deck of the fine art papers that Bay Photo offers. They sell the deck I think ten dollars. Some choices that seem suitable in my opinion, in order of preference: Moab Slickrock Metallic Pearl, Moab Exhibition Luster, Epson Premium Luster, Canson Rag Photographique. These are all in the pure white category which I think is good because of the whites in the image.

Are you planning on printing it yourself or having it printed commercially? Does it need to be archival? Afterwards, we could discuss paper, processing (the image has tremendous tonal contrast mostly in the highlights and shadows), and display factors (mounting, etc.)

Are you planning on printing it yourself or having it printed commercially? Does it need to be archival? Afterwards, we could discuss paper, processing (the image has tremendous tonal contrast mostly in the highlights and shadows), and display factors (mounting, etc.)
I’m a total novice with printing images but was going to send it to Whitewall to get it done.
I love the white on black contrast but would that be an issue with getting that printed?

One early decision point is whether you want giclee/inkjet fine art prints or what is called a C-print or photographic print (paper exposed to light and processed in chemical bath). I'm partial to fine art inkjet, my reading is they are the more archival of the two, but folks probably debate that. Some top quality providers are Bay Photo, Finerworks, Whitehouse Custom Color, Digital Silver Imaging. I haven't tried Whitewall.

Last edited:
Whitewall is solid, just be careful with editing, images show differently on screen than on print on a specific paper and printer combo. Depending on size, I'd get a smaller test print on the paper of choice first. Regarding paper, something semi-gloss, gloss or metalic would work well with the water and brilliant whites. I think Whitewall even provides profiles for LR and / or PS to make editing easier.

Another decision point is how archival you want the print to be. There is no right answer to this. Anytime you mount a print with adhesive to a substrate it is pretty much permanent unless the adhesive eventually releases and bubbles or something in the mount or the glue stains the print from behind. Then it's time to order another one. Many people are fine with it because a quality mount should last many years. Just don't go cheap on it. Plus you don't want the glazing to touch the print, so a mat of some kind.

For a smaller print maybe up to 16 inches on the long side there are other methods that have pros and cons involving things like attaching to the substrate with acid free linen tape, or using paper corners. This is getting into the weeds where you probably don't want to go. Digital silver imaging takes care to be archival, as does the others I've mentioned.

Whitewall is solid, just be careful with editing, images show differently on screen than on print on a specific paper and printer combo. Depending on size, I'd get a smaller test print on the paper of choice first. Regarding paper, something semi-gloss, gloss or metalic would work well with the water and brilliant whites. I think Whitewall even provides profiles for LR and / or PS to make editing easier.
I love whitewall, they also have a sample pack you can get cheaply

I know it may not be everyones cup of tea, but I want to print the attached image of a Swan during takeoff & put it on my wall.
The problem I have is that there are so many different types of papers out there & I don't know which one to use.
I'd like to highlight certain aspects of the Swan namely the beads of water on & around it's neck & face & the wake & disruption it's leaving behind especially the water droplets in the air on the black background.
It will be mounted on a wall with a ceiling mounted picture light that is dimmable?
Also, I know it's a personal choice thing, but type of frame. I was looking at the shadow gap frames at Whitewall.
Many thanks
Mark.View attachment 91572
The best print for such an image is going to be one printed by a lab using Kodak Endura Metalic paper. It will also outlast any inkjet printer print over the years. The larger the print the more important it is to use a double mat so there is a air gap between the glass and the print.

What I like about a lab is that they can also dry mount the print and depending on the size of the print I have different options available for the backing mat, including Masonite for very large prints. This greatly helps to protect the print while it is in the process of being framed.

Most labs will provide for 3 free 8x10 sample prints so you can see in advance what you will be getting and verify that the printer profile will not result in color shifts with the print.

Over the years I have burned through many rolls of 44” x 100’ paper. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing your work displayed on the wall as a large format print. I have several throughout my house.

Eventually, I become tired of looking at the same pictures. I want the ability to change prints myself without dealing with heavy, hard to hang, custom-sized frames, mats, and glass. For me, the “Poster Hanger” system solved that problem. I can print and display new photos in minutes.

Over time as our skills increase, that photo we once thought was a masterpiece may become an amateurish cull to be hidden away in the closet. It's then you will really regret spending hundreds on all that fancy framing.
I see your point, But I’d like to just see this one in a frame up on the wall.
The one thing I would say is that I have the BCG preset for images posted on this forum, but the image doesn’t look anywhere near as sharp as it does on my screen. 💁

I know Whitewall offer a test print which I may well consider, many thanks. 👍

I would print this on metal with semi gloss.
Or, Fine art paper with a metallic finish.
I use WHCC.
I have calibrated BenQ monitors with Adobe 1998

What I see on screen is what I get on paper from WHCC.

Over the years I have burned through many rolls of 44” x 100’ paper. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing your work displayed on the wall as a large format print. I have several throughout my house.

Eventually, I become tired of looking at the same pictures. I want the ability to change prints myself without dealing with heavy, hard to hang, custom-sized frames, mats, and glass. For me, the “Poster Hanger” system solved that problem. I can print and display new photos in minutes.

Over time as our skills increase, that photo we once thought was a masterpiece may become a amateurish cull to be hidden away in the closet. It's then you will really regret spending hundreds on all that fancy framing.
Link to the Poster Hanger system?
Thank you 🙏

Many thanks
Mark.
Can you send the photo to Whitewall customer service and get their suggestion on what paper to print this shot on?

Lots of options and it never hurts to visit this topic again. However, in case anyone is interested, here are some other threads on the topic...

Back