Displaying your printed photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m interested in knowing how you print, mount, and display your photographs. Do you print to paper and frame them, or print on metal, wood, or other materials and display them unmounted? If you mount and frame them, how do you select your frames, and do you mat them or just have the photo flush with the frame? What guidelines do you use in deciding how to print and display your work? If you have mounted images that you’re willing to share, please post them here.

Gosh, so many options.

For a good look at a low cost I've used standouts. Some places will mount fine art prints on lightweight backing with wood edges, ready to hang, but limited sizes.

Another favorite for me is gallery wrapped canvas. Ready to hang with no frame.

Also I quite like face mounted acrylic with the french cleat mount. Also ready to hang frameless.

Plus I have some "gallery framed" meaning a white mat with a simple black frame. I cut the mats myself so that can be reasonable cost.

Finally, I like metal for some shots but I think I prefer facemount acrylic over metal usually.

Last edited:
I have a section of wall in the house with about 15 photos framed, which I rotate periodically. These are 8x10 and 8x12 prints with mats that I cut. I use a 2 1/2" border on the mats and plain black frames. I have some other larger prints throughout the house which are also matted and framed mostly in wood frames.

You need a mat cutter (something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755354-REG/Logan_Graphics_3501_Logan_Graphics_32_Compact.html), but it is not difficult to do and will save money if you a number of prints

I like to go big. No better way to enjoy your photos than a large format prints. I print big photos and hang them bare with a poster hanger system. In my home, I have no need for expensive, matted, glass-framed photos. When I get tired of a picture, I'll toss-it and print something else. If you don't print, you are missing the most rewarding aspect of photography.

I worked at a photo lab for twenty years and even after I left they gave me a discount, so all of my printing and framing was done there. They just went out of business so I will use Bay Photo via mail for future orders. I do a "standard print" (as opposed to metal or canvas or acrylic), have it mounted on gatorfoam, and framed (without glass or acrylic) in a relatively thin metal frame (though I have a big print in my bedroom in wood). Up until now I had them sprayed with a protective coating but in certain light you can see banding from the spray lines so going forward I will skip this step.

There are lots of paper options - I ordered a sample pack from Bay Photo - but going forward I will use Elegance Velvet from Breathing Color. Not only is this archival with no Optical Brightening Agents, it is a natural cotton (made in USA) with no coatings, which is more environmentally friendly than resin coated papers. Papers that use optical brightening agents, or OBA's, will have a different color balance depending on the type of light they are displayed under and will also change color over time as the OBA's fade.

Here is one sample photo of my living room that I had handy:

Rokinon f11.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I like to go big. No better way to enjoy your photos than a large format prints. I print big photos and hang them bare with a poster hanger system. In my home, I have no need for expensive, matted, glass-framed photos. When I get tired of a picture, I'll toss-it and print something else. If you don't print, you are missing the most rewarding aspect of photography.
Agree about printing! Nothing like it.

I worked at a photo lab for twenty years and even after I left they gave me a discount, so all of my printing and framing was done there. They just went out of business so I will use Bay Photo via mail for future orders. I do a "standard print" (as opposed to metal or canvas or acrylic), have it mounted on gatorfoam, and framed (without glass or acrylic) in a relatively thin metal frame (though I have a big print in my bedroom in wood). Up until now I had them sprayed with a protective coating but in certain light you can see banding from the spray lines so going forward I will skip this step.

There are lots of paper options - I ordered a sample pack from Bay Photo - but going forward I will use Elegance Velvet from Breathing Color. Not only is this archival with no Optical Brightening Agents, it is a natural cotton (made in USA) with no coatings, which is more environmentally friendly than resin coated papers. Papers that use optical brightening agents, or OBA's, will have a different color balance depending on the type of light they are displayed under and will also change color over time as the OBA's fade.

Here is one sample photo of my living room that I had handy:
Very helpful info! I really like what you’ve done with your prints - frames without mats look great! Nice photos too! Thanks for posting.

Up until now, I was using WHCC to print "Fine Art Print" on a ⅛" Masonite back
Hanging it was a challenge. I bought on Amazon those hangers and overlapped them with a long strip of duct tape. The result is a frameless print with nothing in front.
But, the print would curve on the sides away from the wall as the weather/humidity changed.
That made me think to look for another option. big heavy wood frames with glass in front, is out of the question

I used make a lot of prints but nowadays I have canvas prints made. No need for frames, mattes or glass. I’ve had good luck with Canvas On The Cheap.

Have several large lab-printed and mounted prints hung around house using 1/2" thick black "Gator Board". Light weight, reasonablably priced, black edges are almost unnoticeable and provide a stand-off-the-wall relief, and comes with hangers. What's not to like?

Last edited:
I am in the process of re-arranging the small display walls that I have in a tiny "library" adjacent to the family room. I am awaiting two prints on Metal from Bay Photo. Then the "fun" of taking down current images and putting up the new arrangements. I'll post a photo when done. In the meantime, let me address some of your questions.

I print on either paper or metal. The scene determines the choice. Scenes with water, reflective surfaces, etc I usually put on metal. When printing on paper, I always use a mat and framing. Also, when printed on paper, the mat will provide a space above the print so that the print is not touching the archival glass. Archival glass is important to minimize fading due to sunlight, artificial light, etc.

I like a thin black metal frame around the images. However, some of my pieces are also framed in black wood.

I always try to display the prints out of direct sunlight.

In addition to walls, I have a couple of images "featured" above our entertainment center in the Family Room. These are sitting on large easels.

When we moved in to this home, I needed a "quick" wall arrangement above a sofa in the sunroom. We had just been to India....so...I now have an arrangement of images from India in our sun room....

Note: The books on the round table are also mine....

i-8n7WMT3-X2.jpg

To determine a nice arrangement and spacing, I lay the pieces out on the floor first.

The canvas needs a structure to hold it taut...otherwise it would be limp fabric. There is usually a wooden frame - but sometimes other mounting forms are used. Wire hangers are common but sometimes a metal hanger is attached in the middle top on the back.

I am in the process of re-arranging the small display walls that I have in a tiny "library" adjacent to the family room. I am awaiting two prints on Metal from Bay Photo. Then the "fun" of taking down current images and putting up the new arrangements. I'll post a photo when done. In the meantime, let me address some of your questions.

I print on either paper or metal. The scene determines the choice. Scenes with water, reflective surfaces, etc I usually put on metal. When printing on paper, I always use a mat and framing. Also, when printed on paper, the mat will provide a space above the print so that the print is not touching the archival glass. Archival glass is important to minimize fading due to sunlight, artificial light, etc.

I like a thin black metal frame around the images. However, some of my pieces are also framed in black wood.

I always try to display the prints out of direct sunlight.

In addition to walls, I have a couple of images "featured" above our entertainment center in the Family Room. These are sitting on large easels.

When we moved in to this home, I needed a "quick" wall arrangement above a sofa in the sunroom. We had just been to India....so...I now have an arrangement of images from India in our sun room....

Note: The books on the round table are also mine....

To determine a nice arrangement and spacing, I lay the pieces out on the floor first.
This is very informative, and helpful! Thanks for posting. I like your thought process in deciding how to frame (or not) images. Up until now, I’ve mainly printed to paper and had them mounted on thin wooden boards, which are beveled and blackened at the edges. While I like the effect, I’m looking to do something different. I’ve considered metal prints, but wasn’t sure how the images would look. Also considering mats and frames. I have a few landscapes that I took recently in SC that are just begging to be printed in large format and hung. Can’t decide whether I should print to metal, or paper and frame.

I like what you’ve done with your India shots - nice images, and great arrangement. I did something similar with a series I took in Italy, after I bought my little condo. Looks nice but I need a change.

Thanks again.

FWIW - I've found that I can take a print to Hobby Lobby and get extremely helpful advice about color and width of matting, choice of frame, etc. I always wait their offer for 50% off frames. Archival glass is expensive - but worth it. IMHO. How many times do you see prints in a public space that are extremely faded? I see that a lot.

The prints in the photo above were on Lustre paper, matted and framed.

BUT - printing and framing is expensive. You can upload an image to Bay Photo and price several options out on Bay Photo. The 2 new pieces I got printed on metal both required a custom size. UGH!

Bay Photo also offer THIS option. If I were printing a lot and wanted to easily swap images in and out, it might be an option.....and cheaper!

BTW - Bay Photo offers 25% off your first order.

The canvas needs a structure to hold it taut...otherwise it would be limp fabric. There is usually a wooden frame - but sometimes other mounting forms are used. Wire hangers are common but sometimes a metal hanger is attached in the middle top on the back.
I am very familiar with canvas mounting having made dozens. I was asking about this statement, "I used make a lot of prints but nowadays I have canvas prints made. No need for frames, mattes or glass. I’ve had good luck with Canvas On The Cheap." My question was - how do you mount canvas without a stretcher frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back