Pronunciation of "Z"

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that Steve pronounces "Z" as "Zee". Is this the normal way in the USA? Those of us across the pond, who speak proper English ( :)), pronounce "Z" as "Zed". What do they say in Canada?
Yes, in American English it’s pronounced “zee.” In British influenced English (including Canada) it’s pronounced “zed.”

This 🍅 is pronounced differently, too. 😊

I think zetto or zeddo would be a Japanese speakers way to say it. At least Google tells me so.

Nikon are not English !!!!!!:)
bff2a862d7f657dfc672e3c5aa7e633d.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I am still wedded to Z-ulu from my time in the US Army. Then Zee, though I did a lot of work with Brits when overseas, so I can move between the different versions including Zed with ease.
Just like military and dates outside the US going DD/MM/YYYY. That is my default to this day.

Last edited:
I like a variety of pronunciations, it makes things interesting. I love the way aluminum is pronounced in the UK, for instance. I also prefer the metric system, but that's a whole separate topic. :)

I like a variety of pronunciations, it makes things interesting. I love the way aluminum is pronounced in the UK, for instance. I also prefer the metric system, but that's a whole separate topic. :)
Aluminum for the US & Canada: A lume in num. Aluminium for UK, AUS, NZ: Al u min e um. I do tend to cringe when I hear Zee and relax when I hear Zed but that is my cultural bias. 🫣😂😂😂😩

Then again, how are we to pronounce Nikon - "nye-kon", "nee-kon" or "nee-kone".

And speaking of the English, isn't it amazing that we have the US and the UK - two countries divided by a common language! :rolleyes:

--Ken
Most people don't know, including the Brits. I read some years back that the British accent, their English is made up. I can't remember when, if it was the 1700's or 1800's (i think late 1700's) the royals created and started the accent because they felt the lower class or peasants shouldn't talk like them. That they needed to sound more "sophisticated"

So the current British accent isn't very old either.

Most people don't know, including the Brits. I read some years back that the British accent, their English is made up. I can't remember when, if it was the 1700's or 1800's (i think late 1700's) the royals created and started the accent because they felt the lower class or peasants shouldn't talk like them. That they needed to sound more "sophisticated"

So the current British accent isn't very old either.
I still find the historic links between many of the people in Appalachia and many of the people in the UK to be fascinating.

--Ken

It's the same story as "Neekon" vs. "Naikon!" In this case, as far as I know, most Canadians go with the American way - Naikon. Although I have heard some saying Neekon.

I am waiting for y'all and all y'all to be fully accepted in the US. They really are great and useful expressions.

--Ken
The word you is both singular and plural. But nowadays folks mostly use it in the singular, and some get a bit perplexed when the plural is intended. "Thank you - ah - you both, you guys - for the nice dinner." Y'all sounds too regional to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back