Pronunciation of "Z"

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word you is both singular and plural. But nowadays folks mostly use it in the singular, and some get a bit perplexed when the plural is intended. "Thank you - ah - you both, you guys - for the nice dinner." Y'all sounds to regional to me.
Around here, "all y'all" is very common. 🤠

The word you is both singular and plural. But nowadays folks mostly use it in the singular, and some get a bit perplexed when the plural is intended. "Thank you - ah - you both, you guys - for the nice dinner." Y'all sounds to regional to me.
It is regional, as is "you's guys". And I know y'all makes a lot of language folks cringe. But, not being from the South, I have still come to appreciate it for its convenience.

--Ken

Nikon are not English !!!!!!:)
They're not American, either. :)

So then shouldn't "B" be "Bed", "C" be "Ced", and so on. Makes no sense to me. 😁

When reciting the alphabet, Bee, Cee and Dee etc have an open "ee" to help follow to the next letters in the alphabet because there are other letters coming after them. However, Zed has the hard "d" denoting the end of the alphabet not an open "ee" as if we are still going with more letters when there aren't any more.:D

The Japanese say Nick-oh with silent N
#6 @ 6:10

At least she has shown that Nikon is pronounced Nikkon, not Neikon, or Neekon etc. :D I don't think there is a silent "n" at the end, she seems to pronounce the n although with her accent it may seem as though the n is silent but I don't think it is supposed to be.

I always find it interesting that many of these foreign names are not spelt the way they are pronounced and for no good reason in most cases and it isn't just Japanese that do this. She talks of Calpico that is supposed to be pronounced Calpis, why not spell it that way? Why not spell Casio as Cashio? Instead of Yakult, why not spell it how they want it pronounced Yakuruto? Nissin?, Why not Nishin? I have no issue with Toyota as I pronounce it the way they want it to be pronounced. There are many names in foreign countries that are not spelt in English the way they need to be pronounced and I see no good reason for this in most cases.

At least she has shown that Nikon is pronounced Nikkon, not Neikon, or Neekon etc. :D I don't think there is a silent "n" at the end, she seems to pronounce the n although with her accent it may seem as though the n is silent but I don't think it is supposed to be.

I always find it interesting that many of these foreign names are not spelt the way they are pronounced and for no good reason in most cases and it isn't just Japanese that do this. She talks of Calpico that is supposed to be pronounced Calpis, why not spell it that way? Why not spell Casio as Cashio? Instead of Yakult, why not spell it how they want it pronounced Yakuruto? Nissin?, Why not Nishin? I have no issue with Toyota as I pronounce it the way they want it to be pronounced. There are many names in foreign countries that are not spelt in English the way they need to be pronounced and I see no good reason for this in most cases.
Nikkon it is for pronunciation 👍🏻. Naikon is for sure way wrong :)

Y'all is a southern slang that the southerners here in America say for you all. The Japanese speak backwards, for instance: Goumi na si means 'I am sorry' but if you say it the way it is, you would be saying 'sorry I am'. Goumi means Sorry, Na means I, and Si means am. Sound familiar? Think of Yoda in Star Wars. Now you know Yoda is Japanese! 😂

Yes, in American English it’s pronounced “zee.” In British influenced English (including Canada) it’s pronounced “zed.”
Anglo-Canadians also tolerate "Zee" when I cross the border.

If Nikon's history is any guide (Neye-kon, Nee-kon, Nick-on) they don't care how it's pronounced as long as people buy the cameras.

Last edited:
Yep. However Japanese English is heavily influenced by American English post WW2. Very interesting how language can ‘drift’ and ‘morph’ through so many different generally unconscious influences.
Yep…every Japanese person since WWII can speak and write and carry on an intelligent conversation in English…I was told that it's a mandatory thing over there. Not like folks who take a foreign language here in the US in high school and are still pretty much functionally illiterate for4 the most part. When I was there on Navy temporary duty in the 1980s my bride flew over and we toured around a couple of weeks. At least a half dozen different occasions we had a group of students come up and ask us to read their essay and make sure the grammar was right or to talk in US slang to get used to it. She was always mortified that she might have steered them wrong through. Same with being willing to help…I had been there a couple of months and was comfortable getting around but if we left the ryokan (Japanese style hotel) in the morning having planned our our journey around town for the next day and would pull out the map to verify that it was 3 blocks north and 4 east to the train station and not the other way around…and by the time we got the map unfolded some Japanese person had stopped to make sure we were not lost. We walked into a 7-11 one evening as we lost our way back to the hotel in Kyoto slightly…always carry a matchbook from the hotel so you can tell the helpful local where you're staying…to verify that we were going the right way and he (20ish young man) closed the store and took us to the hotel despite it actually only being a couple blocks away by that time. Amazingly polite people…and far and away the cleanest country I've ever been to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back