Question for those who own the Sony 600GM

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That could be those only apply to jpg. I had heard they added noise reduction and sharpening to RAW files so I guess I assumed you could adjust it. Maybe not. I didn’t look into it too much as I ended up not buying a Sony.
I do have a small amount of sharpening, added to the standard profile, and some tweaks that I have made mainly for video because I don’t ever shoot JPEGs unless just messing around with my dogs or something like that. I can certainly try adjusting it to see what happens.

I do have a small amount of sharpening, added to the standard profile, and some tweaks that I have made mainly for video because I don’t ever shoot JPEGs unless just messing around with my dogs or something like that. I can certainly try adjusting it to see what happens.
It may not do anything, but I guess worth a test. worst case turn it down more in post,

I see Palmor already said what I was going to, that Topaz will still do stuff even when set to zero. It's just my $.02, but that image looks like it has effects *from* Topaz.

I like Topaz a lot and use it heavily, but I will say that on super high quality images, it can often DISimprove them. at least when pixel peeping

I would suggest on an image like that you either 1) use the masking tool in denose, mask the bird, invert and apply the processing only to the background, or 2) forgo denoise and use LR. the new subject detection masking in LR is really nice, so you can mask the bird, process it as much or little as you need, copy and invert the mask and do whatever NR you want to the background. i'll often just crank the NR slider to 100 for the background. or 3) forgot NR all together. i find on super clean images, it can be unnecessary

Last edited:
I see Palmor already said what I was going to, that Topaz will still do stuff even when set to zero. It's just my $.02, but that image looks like it has effects *from* Topaz.

I like Topaz a lot and use it heavily, but I will say that on super high quality images, it can often DISimprove them.

I would suggest on an image like that you either 1) use the masking tool in denose, mask the bird, invert and apply the processing only to the background, or 2) forgo denoise and use LR. the new subject detection masking in LR is really nice, so you can mask the bird, process it as much or little as you need, copy and invert the mask and do whatever NR you want to the background. i'll often just crank the NR slider to 100 for the background. or 3) forgot NR all together. i find on super clean images, it can be unnecessary
I can certainly give that a try, but even when I use denoise on an image like that, I’m only using five on the noise and sharpening back to zero or one as it is in denoise.
Some of the images, even straight out of the camera once loaded into Lightroom classic even at that stage look severely over sharpened with absolutely nothing but a color profile applied to them. I will keep working at it and try to figure out a solution and try some of your ideas to see if that works.

Perhaps Brian is correct in his statement above in saying somehow, Sony is applying the JPEG settings to raw files. I know this is not the case with nikon because that’s what I have shot most of my life but I am not sure what Sony or canon, or anything else for that matter.

I never in a million years thought I would complain about the lens being too sharp lol. I have owned probably 25 to 30 different lenses over the years and I’ve never had such a difficult time as I do with some of the files I get with this lens. With the teleconverter, they look completely normal but unfortunately, you can’t use the Tele converter all the time.

i haven’t heard that, so if you find that to be the case it would be interesting. so far the only raw tweaking i know of is that the new canon r cameras will apply nr to the raws in some cases
I’ve been really busy the last couple days and haven’t had a chance to look into it further, but I never really thought about that until Brian mentioned it this morning but I do have sharpening, contrast, as well as saturation increased in the standard profile, but like I said, it’s mainly for video and it looks great and video as far as the settings, but that would be something if it’s somehow applying that too they’re all files

The other thing that can soften an image in LR is to bring clarity down below zero.
I have had to do that on some images but then you get into the hassle of having to mask the eyes and all that and I really wonder if the end camera settings are to blame for this and I’m going to try to research that later today

Here's the same image processed in Lightroom only with absolutely no sharpening or texture applied. Still sharp as hell
Sparrow.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm convinced it's not the camera or the lens. There's something going on in the processing process that causes what we perceive as over-sharpness. The above image is perfect.
It's the only lens I own that does it other than the 90mm macro lens which is also insanely sharp. Steve has also mentioned this with this combination and I hope he chimes in on this thread because I'd like to hear what he does if anything to rectify it. With that lens there is nowhere in the whole process that I'm adding sharpening, texture or dehaze. When I use Denoise with this lens I never go above 10 and back sharpening all the way down. When I use DXO pure raw I have lens sharpening disabled. The noise removal in the photo above was completed within Lightroom classic only and might be the way I should do it whenever using this lens. If I use the TC it's never an issue.

I'm convinced it's not the camera or the lens. There's something going on in the processing process that causes what we perceive as over-sharpness. The above image is perfect.
I also did try experimenting with DXO pure raw only other than Lightroom and They look less sharp than going thru topaz so perhaps I should avoid topaz with this lens and the 90mm. I agree with everything you're saying and it has had me frustrated trying to get the images to not look oversharpend. The only time I'll go a little heavy handed with sharpening is with macro shots.

It's the only lens I own that does it other than the 90mm macro lens which is also insanely sharp. Steve has also mentioned this with this combination and I hope he chimes in on this thread because I'd like to hear what he does if anything to rectify it. With that lens there is nowhere in the whole process that I'm adding sharpening, texture or dehaze. When I use Denoise with this lens I never go above 10 and back sharpening all the way down. When I use DXO pure raw I have lens sharpening disabled. The noise removal in the photo above was completed within Lightroom classic only and might be the way I should do it whenever using this lens. If I use the TC it's never an issue.
I very seldom use Topaz Denoise - only on very high ISO images, say >ISO 3000. Most of my processing is done with Adobe Camera Raw, including its noise reduction feature.
I would try using only Lightroom and its attendant Raw processor (probably also Adobe Camera RAW) and see how that shakes out.

I very seldom use Topaz Denoise - only on very high ISO images, say >ISO 3000. Most of my processing is done with Adobe Camera Raw, including its noise reduction feature.
I would try using only Lightroom and its attendant Raw processor (probably also Adobe Camera RAW) and see how that shakes out.
Yeah if you allow Topaz to apply the default settings, it makes the images have all sorts of issues with artifacts and detail loss.

Here's the same image processed in Lightroom only with absolutely no sharpening or texture applied. Still sharp as hell
View attachment 48460
It's hard to compare this photo to the one hosted on flickr because this is so low in resolution. Care to drop the original raw file into a dropbox or google drive folder and share it? I understand if not, but maybe share this one that's only processed in LrC at the same resolution as the flickr one? The flickr image is 2366x2459, while this one is 971x975.

It's hard to compare this photo to the one hosted on flickr because this is so low in resolution. Care to drop the original raw file into a dropbox or google drive folder and share it? I understand if not, but maybe share this one that's only processed in LrC at the same resolution as the flickr one? The flickr image is 2366x2459, while this one is 971x975.
This site doesn't allow over 1200 pixels for any photo so unfortunately I cant

That's unfortunate in today's age of large retina screens. But hosting it in dropbox, google drive, icloud files, onedrive, etc, and then posting a link here, would bypass that. Obviously your call. Just a suggestion.
I think topaz is the issue because I've ran some problematic photos the DXO pure raw as well as Lightroom only for lower ISO images and they appear much better. I suppose with this lens I should reframe from using topaz if possible.

Back