Questioning Giving Up Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Retired and unfettered by employment demands, I pulled away from travel, photography, golf, and woodworking because restraint was what I chose as a reaction to the virus. Getting the vaccine triggered a greater sense of freedom, still tempered by the remaining reality of the times.

Stories of depression during these days of Covid are very common. I did not recognize my mood as depression, but was startled by the big change in my outlook as soon as spring began to erupt, my golf swing came around (but now gone again) and the daughter's cabinet interest was expressed. If, for you, these times find you unable to break out of the depressed thoughts, please seek help. While waiting, try some flower bud macro focus stacking and be intrigued by little bugs you never knew existed. To validate yourself, print, frame and hang the ones you like.

However, I have another hobby, which I was addicted to back in the days: Motorbiking (including races on the track with my Honda CB1000). This hobby has diminished with time. I usually chose Photography in the woods over motorbiking in my free time. But every blue moon I do go for a motorbike tour and all those feelings of excitement come rushing back in.

I read this thread and all the in depth thoughtful replies by our members. Fantastic. I too been riding motorcycles (Norton, BSA, Harley, BMW’s) since age 14, and just had my 70th birthday. I’ve raced over the years and still tour. The ‘thrill’ never gets old and I have hundreds of thousands of miles on the back of a motorcycle. The rain and cold can ‘dampen’ it but the road still calls my name. My camera gear goes with me; usually my D800/14-24 Lens. It’s a record of my travels and brings great joy to my family. My wife said she does not want an old guy in attitude hanging around the house and loves fact I can still drag a kneee when I want to on the track. I met a rider age 88 in Yellowstone with BMW e/w Hannigan Sidecar. When I can no longer hold up large two wheel bike it’ll be three wheels as he did age 85 hopefully. I’m looking at new camera gear now to get the bird shots at our lake cottage. I’ve poured over this forum for next best camera for my needs, done lots research as I like that part of the journey equally. Sony A1 in the lead.

This may sound odd coming from me, but photography has never been my driving force . I love being outside and sharing what I see with others and photography is a means to that end.

I first picked up a camera and started doing nature photography at 10 years old. As I got older, I wanted to pursue photography as a career. Although I'd get the occasional article or photo published in my late teens, it wasn't enough to call it an income.

What's the difference between a pizza and a professional photographer? A pizza can feed a family of four.

At the time I worked at a camera store and there were lots of wedding / portrait photographers. Long story short, I figured if I liked photography I must like all kinds of photography. So, I started doing wedding, portraits, sports items, senior portraits, you name it. It didn't take long before I started to resent seeing appointments on the calendar but the money was good so I kept at it - for too long.

Eventually I burned out (surprise) and went on to something else completely different. I actually sold off all of my camera gear and never wanted to look through a lens again.

Then, about three years later my wife and I were in Las Vegas for a trade show and I stopped by Red Rock canyon with our point & shoot. I started taking photos and had one of the only epiphanies of my life. The reason I loved photography before had very little to do with the photography - it had everything to do with being out in nature, seeing wildlife, and just enjoying the outdoors. Photography was the vehicle I used to share that experience with others. Once I realized that, I immediately went out, got new gear (digital this time) and have been happy ever since.

Sure, it can get discouraging when you go out for hours and not see or get anything, but I tend to enjoy my time out as much as I do the photography. However, it's also easy to get too wrapped up in the "goal" and ignore / take for granted the experience itself.

Hope that helps or makes sense :)
You hit the nail on the head for me - I have always been an outside person. I really just started shooting photos about 6-7 years ago because my FB friends wanted to know where I was and taking photos was the best way to show them. After being shut down and unable to travel I started reading Steve's posts, bought a couple of his books and my friends are "wowed". Thanks Steve. It is a hobby - and lots of fun. If it were not fun I would not do it.

@Glen it's good to hear you are a fellow biker. Yes, it would be great to motorbike at the age of 80.. respect! As with photography, motorbiking is another way to be out there, on the road, with fresh air and beautiful sceneries.

Its good to see people are free to express them selves on this deep subject, its healthy.

I see the getting out and enjoying the experience as the reward, taking some photos' is just a bonus.
Will I stay with what I do, yes for now, doing it as often, defiantly not...........
Am I questioning things, defiantly, like so many other people I know
Am I bored with same old same old only slightly varying, I guess I /we can be somewhat.
Am I looking for inspiration, defiantly
Do I want to do the same old same old, No
Do I want to invest more into the 35mm digital world, No Not really
Do I want to stay with what I have, for the moment yes, the D850 is a good all rounder
Am I over 35mm, yes
Am I interested in MF 100 mp or plus like a Fuji, yes
Am I feed up with saturation plagiarism social media, most defiantly
Am I addicted to gear and have GAS disease, Not anymore, been of the wagon and clean for 730 days approximately.....
Am I excited about the future of photography, in some ways yes in other ways No.
Am I enjoying the journey and experience more than the actual photography, in most cases defiantly.
Am I using my quality Smart phone for still shots on still subjects more often, when hiking or traveling, hands down totally.

I know the issue of questioning things has become a more common matter than we think, I see and hear of it only to often, people are exposed to choices like still cameras, action cameras, SLR hybrids, mirrorless, video, drones, smart phones, 5 k internet, Instagram social media, subscription to editing software, massive automation and change in technology becoming more often now, new models of gear at massive prices........down sizing from heavy large gear to smaller lighter gear, its all a lot to deal with and to find your place with peace is a restless process.

In the past Your investment would last 5 to 10 years in some cases, its now almost an annual change, example, You drop $5k one year and in 18 months its superseded, watch Sony.

The camera industry is all about new products often to get you to spend, innovation all happening much more rapidly, this will have some collateral damage for the veterans of photography who haven't got the deep pockets.

Moving to mirrorless is appearing to be clearly the future......so do you want to plunge another $15-30 k into a whole all new system or brand.

Like any hobby or sport etc you have the highs and lows, I guess if photography is a job you very well may feel a little more obsolete noncompetitive as a photographer and may not stick with it easily, if its a passion and you adapt you may will stick with it more than not and spend the $.

To me a camera only dose one thing, it records a subject using a formula of time light and speed, the rest is up to you.

Finding a subject or composition now that hasn't been shot to death a million times before is becoming more common, so in many cases things have become more boring in this area, the first question I ask is how do I do this differently that pleases me or has some satisfaction, in there lies a real question.

If their is a magic location and it ends up on social media, forget it, I mean how many for Milky way shots over a tree or mountain do you want to see, or a surfer on a wave, or bird on a stick, or a waterfall with the slow milky water, only and example, the internet is saturated with them all, Ok what's new and refreshing is the perspective from Drones......with stills but more so video.

I am now seeing some wild life bird shooters in desperation catching (example) a collection of dragon fly's and then feeding exotic birds to get a shot, In Africa amazing colorful birds are caught and caged in an Avery, when the Avery is full photographers are booked and pay to shoot, the photographers all line in a set area with the right light and angle, with their high speed gear, one bird at a time is hand flung to freedom, the rest is up to the shooter, the shots are stunning on Instagram and face book and you could never tell what's happened until you see what happened.

In Asia you can book in a shoot for a harnessed pair of Bulls/Cows/Buffalo pulling/racing a cart at speed through a mud water hole creating a dynamic powerful action shot of water mud with a driver hanging on for grim death that seen for the first time you would think WOW what a spectacular shot and photographer, its staged and a paid event.
I see so competition shots entered of thawed out frozen fish thrown in the water to capture a eagle such swooping in, all this is wrong but that's what people are doing more and more, I ask why ? is this photography or recording action for social media, ?

I go to the local botanical gardens when the annual paper daisy's are out in full, a beautiful sea of colour, despite the wire and pegs acting as a boundary so many people are stepping over that and laying flat on their back in the middle of them arms a legs spread and then taking a selfie photo but more so are videoing and its up on Instagram, the gardens after a few days are just ruined, it happens every year, now they have had to fence the things off completely and are no longer nice to photograph........

Weekends Farmers are seeing travelers pull up at the canola fields climbing over the fence and doing the same thing laying on or standing in the flowers so much so they have complained to authorities, one farmer got smart he spends his weekends monitoring the tourists and charging $25 a head....he also offers drone shots for another $25 sent digitally to your phone, capitalism at its best LOL, all so people can present them selves on social media. ???

Hey these are just some observations, also things that turn you off a little, but you have to now look and working harder to do better for your self, often to only find there have been thousands before you all doing or have done similar things already...I think its called saturation........

We are in Milky Way season, at the moment everyone I know is out doing Milky Way night shots with light painting, that's fantastic, its about the experience and outing.....

Hey you now have to go far and few between spots to get something nice that hasn't been done to death, and above all don't tell anyone where and how LOL.

Things start with a thought, then turn to words, then to action.
Only and opinion as always

Last edited:
At a young age I got interested in photography, worked on the high school news paper, took college courses in photography while I worked hard at trying to earn a living. At one point I sold all my gear and focused on driving truck to earn my way. I worked for a portrait studio for a few years, prior to driving but it wasn't a studio of creative's and I hated it, but loved the gear. We used Nikkormat cameras in those days but dreamed of owning a Nikon F with the interchangeable prism, and focusing screens . Today I have wonderful gear, gear that I never dreamed would be affordable, my software is current and amazing and like you and many others I have invested dearly in my gear. I never found a market for my work, or a reason to justify my investment. So where am I today, like you as I sit here thinking about what I am doing, I had thoughts of getting out of photography too.

But the draw to being outdoors is strong and when I'm out I see things as a great shot & constantly look at ways of composing whats before me. I enjoy my time watching the the birds, small mammals & insects, the rain, the calm of an early morning and a sunrise worth every changing moment. These are the rewards I have learnt to appreciate. I can't point to one particular reason I don't pack it in or even why I choose not too. But I did ask myself some hard questions about what I want my photography to mean. I discovered a few things the first of which is that when I look around at the prints I've made they make me remember and they make me smile. I enjoy my past works, I also realize that my best work is yet to come. So I redirected my focus to continue shooting only this time I will print my best work in a large format and preserve one copy of each in archival sleeves, that I hope will be around years after I am gone. So that those who my life has touch can also smile and enjoy my work and those who were closest to me will remember me and see what I enjoyed most.

I lost someone who was very close to me, a shooting partner, all her work was stored in the cloud which no one can access. She is gone and so is her work with only a few prints left behind. I saw this as a great loss and it was for this reason I have set out on the path I am now on. I do believe my best work is yet to come, and I so want to share it with those I care most about. I truly enjoy the outdoors and I realized that photography keeps me engaged in the world around me as well as pushing me to continue to learn. This may not be the best reason to keep on shooting but it has helped me to stay the coarse. I hope you can fine your own reasons for continuing to shoot but if you can't change is not necessarily a bad thing.

Hey I ask myself have I ever out performed any camera I have ever had, or have I got to the point where I have been able to out grow the capabilities of any camera or lens combination, the answer is No, most people would Not exhaust 40% of any cameras capabilities before they change or upgrade.

I guess what I am saying is don't let the difference between new and older technology ever bother you, most of the people I know with older gear are leaving for dead people with the latest gear in every way.

Remember 80% as a general rule is You, so I keep going by focusing on myself and pleasing my self.
My friend she is 75 and she took her D800E on her 28-300 to 260,000 actuations, the D800E gave up the ghost she now has D850 and still uses the 28-300 for everything, she spends 2 to 3 hours a day on photography, she lives near a lake beside a mountain and takes pictures of birds, foggy mornings with people walking in the mist, or indoor creative shots, macro with a 105 2.8 D lens amazing mono shots, she is winning club competitions consistently.
Look with in, please your self always, don't worry what others are doing or what's new..........or if it dose 20 fps or has eye tracking animal tracking thats mostly all marketing......
A photo should tell a story, connect with the viewer to evoke emotion, be technically sound, and have a wow factor, so composition will always out do high tech bells and whistles.
I get great shots on a D300 D3x D850 D700 D7100 D4s D5 what ever because the photograph is the end result, tools are tools they are only as good as the craftsmen using them.

Myself, I am more effected with exhaustion of finding subject matter that hasn't been done to death.........so I am resting and backing off at the moment till I find my new direction., and its not in the gear/tools.

Oz down under
It may sound odd ... but my recent acquisition of a D6 and the 600 f/4 E was a back to my roots move. I started my photo journey August 2011 with a Canon Rebel and a fuji finepix XP10 pocket camera borrowed from my wife for a trip to Alaska. I progressed to a D300s and a D4s and an assortment of lenses over the years. I have images on the wall take with everything from a P900 Bridge Camera to a Large Format 4x5 film camera and ironically quite a few with the aforementioned 28-300. But as I went through old files and thought of what I like to photograph while spending time with wild critters in cool places. I pondered that I like to shoot in low light, I like to photograph birds sitting and flying for ID and beauty and the occasional mammal and reptile that comes along. I have won many contests, my work is in our State Capitol and I sold enough while venturing into retails sales that it got me back to spread, sheets, inventory, marketing and sales "work" so I retired again :) But I decided to focus on what brings me joy and what I hoped would make others happy and help me share God's creation and encourage conservation and help others learn about birds etc. along the way. I had been chasing tech and mega pixels D850 wide angle landscape lenses, ND filters etc. portrait and still life lighting gear etc. that sat in the cabinet or closet after a acquiring them to branch out into "trendy" and marketable photography. I began regretting selling the gear that simply accomplished my favorite photographic goals ... a D4s and big heavy Sigma 150-600 sport (almost always at 600mm). I also liked the simplicity of my 2 camera 2 lens set up in Africa. D4s and D500 and 28-300 and 200-500. The 150-600 Sigma sport arrived just before I left for Africa but left it home because of weight ... regretted that should have found a way. Long story short I decided to not chase the mirrorless trend and go back to my roots with the type of gear I could use for what I wanted and that the learning curve would not be steep with. The D6 replaces my old D4s and the 600 f/4 E the 150-600 sigma sport and my D500 with a Tamron 18-400 on it gets used more than my D850. My last planned lens purchase will be a replacement for the long sold 28-300 .... probably a Tamron 100-400 or a Nikon 80-400.

At a young age I got interested in photography, worked on the high school news paper, took college courses in photography while I worked hard at trying to earn a living. At one point I sold all my gear and focused on driving truck to earn my way. I worked for a portrait studio for a few years, prior to driving but it wasn't a studio of creative's and I hated it, but loved the gear. We used Nikkormat cameras in those days but dreamed of owning a Nikon F with the interchangeable prism, and focusing screens . Today I have wonderful gear, gear that I never dreamed would be affordable, my software is current and amazing and like you and many others I have invested dearly in my gear. I never found a market for my work, or a reason to justify my investment. So where am I today, like you as I sit here thinking about what I am doing, I had thoughts of getting out of photography too.

But the draw to being outdoors is strong and when I'm out I see things as a great shot & constantly look at ways of composing whats before me. I enjoy my time watching the the birds, small mammals & insects, the rain, the calm of an early morning and a sunrise worth every changing moment. These are the rewards I have learnt to appreciate. I can't point to one particular reason I don't pack it in or even why I choose not too. But I did ask myself some hard questions about what I want my photography to mean. I discovered a few things the first of which is that when I look around at the prints I've made they make me remember and they make me smile. I enjoy my past works, I also realize that my best work is yet to come. So I redirected my focus to continue shooting only this time I will print my best work in a large format and preserve one copy of each in archival sleeves, that I hope will be around years after I am gone. So that those who my life has touch can also smile and enjoy my work and those who were closest to me will remember me and see what I enjoyed most.

I lost someone who was very close to me, a shooting partner, all her work was stored in the cloud which no one can access. She is gone and so is her work with only a few prints left behind. I saw this as a great loss and it was for this reason I have set out on the path I am now on. I do believe my best work is yet to come, and I so want to share it with those I care most about. I truly enjoy the outdoors and I realized that photography keeps me engaged in the world around me as well as pushing me to continue to learn. This may not be the best reason to keep on shooting but it has helped me to stay the coarse. I hope you can fine your own reasons for continuing to shoot but if you can't change is not necessarily a bad thing.
I hear you on the prints. I continue to print for the wall, mine and others, and archival storage albums and I just started saving images edited for printing as jpgs stored on portable drives separate from my LR catalog and working external drives, that should be accessible into the future for people to enjoy after I am gone.

It may sound odd ... but my recent acquisition of a D6 and the 600 f/4 E was a back to my roots move. I started my photo journey August 2011 with a Canon Rebel and a fuji finepix XP10 pocket camera borrowed from my wife for a trip to Alaska. I progressed to a D300s and a D4s and an assortment of lenses over the years. I have images on the wall take with everything from a P900 Bridge Camera to a Large Format 4x5 film camera and ironically quite a few with the aforementioned 28-300. But as I went through old files and thought of what I like to photograph while spending time with wild critters in cool places. I pondered that I like to shoot in low light, I like to photograph birds sitting and flying for ID and beauty and the occasional mammal and reptile that comes along. I have won many contests, my work is in our State Capitol and I sold enough while venturing into retails sales that it got me back to spread, sheets, inventory, marketing and sales "work" so I retired again :) But I decided to focus on what brings me joy and what I hoped would make others happy and help me share God's creation and encourage conservation and help others learn about birds etc. along the way. I had been chasing tech and mega pixels D850 wide angle landscape lenses, ND filters etc. portrait and still life lighting gear etc. that sat in the cabinet or closet after a acquiring them to branch out into "trendy" and marketable photography. I began regretting selling the gear that simply accomplished my favorite photographic goals ... a D4s and big heavy Sigma 150-600 sport (almost always at 600mm). I also liked the simplicity of my 2 camera 2 lens set up in Africa. D4s and D500 and 28-300 and 200-500. The 150-600 Sigma sport arrived just before I left for Africa but left it home because of weight ... regretted that should have found a way. Long story short I decided to not chase the mirrorless trend and go back to my roots with the type of gear I could use for what I wanted and that the learning curve would not be steep with. The D6 replaces my old D4s and the 600 f/4 E the 150-600 sigma sport and my D500 with a Tamron 18-400 on it gets used more than my D850. My last planned lens purchase will be a replacement for the long sold 28-300 .... probably a Tamron 100-400 or a Nikon 80-400.

Hi Ken, Enjoyed the read, lovely, I like to go for a walk through the Bush and take a long lens 150-500 200-500 getting artistic compression shots of nature, I miss that.
I must admit one of my favorite cameras of all time was the D4s its was just sharp fast accurate bullet proof, and my D3x ( I bought for $5k AUD when they were $11K AUD) that combination worked as I was missing in the D3X FPS speed and focus attacking speed, I still have a 150-500 Sigma my first long lens, I loved the compression I got on the long lens and don't laugh that lens today still takes nice sharp image, and on the D3X was just stunning LOL.

I mean you cant get more than $300 for the Sigma Lens and the VR is Broken but I never need that anyway, and $1200 for the D3X that's just ridiculous for so much camera, plus The D3X I still love and will keep, its my old friend that took me places and did things that people wouldn't dream of doing things with or going places. It defied all the reviewers in every way, I did sports action, studio, wild life, landscapes, I loved the 5:4 mode, street photography, it just did everything well and perfectly usable to 6400 iso which the Goroos said Oh its a studio camera you cant use it beyond 400 iso, please click like me if you found this review helpful, what a lot of BS, sorry.
It was for me 25mp when everything was 12 mp.

I would love to have the D6 and 600f4 E but I really didn't use the D4s D5 600 f4 combination that much, maybe 10% 15% of the time, for me I found with such little compromise the D850 basically did 85 to 90% of what I wanted to do so it was a lot of capital sitting there, yes I would have it tomorrow if I like you shoot often a lot of low light work.
28-300 gee not many people admit they use it or have one LOL good to hear, its been good to us, I love mine simply for its versatility, its got nice colour, its adequately sharp enough, ok it gets a little red hot on the D4s D5 LOL but gee it delivered LOL. The 100-400 sounds great with the magnification ratio would seem far more attractive than 10.4 times of the 28-300 but gee I would miss the 35mm 50mm 70mm range.

The D500 on the 28-300 would be using the center of the lens also being its sharpest area, I find while the D500 is a brilliant camera if I put the D850 into crop mode I pretty well have a D500 in the D850, I do get 9fps however there is the extra weight. So yes it makes sense I think the D500 and 28-300 is an awesome match.

As mentioned once before, I sometimes like to take my light weight (rifle but) mono pod a 50mm 1.4 manual Zeiss lens place it on the Df (D4 Sensor), set the Df up to manual only and in mono and RAW and then walk the city and foreshores,
It slows me down, it takes me back in time, it gets me away from the eye tracking animal tracking yady yada..........and slowly I start to see things I didn't see before rather than just document in full auto.
Any way I am cruising with a little time out to refresh, see where things go, I use the 14-24, the trio, 200 500, 28-300, 16mm fish eye, now rent the big stuff only when needed.

Should I jump in and have the demand then yes buying can make sense. Rentals are becoming more popular and more competitive.

The mirrorless future, I will wait for mirrorless to mature fully and till at least its in the 3rd 4th generation. One question is am i willing to reinvest in a system again, the I feel at the moment 100 mp MF and a backup D850 with the trio lenses is a good system and rent everything else as needed.

You see while my surfing still shots are greatly enjoyed, the community mostly by a massive amount prefers to now watch short surfing video clips from Drones and video cameras but Drones are preferred 100 to 1 to land based video.
So much so I didn't even bother going to take photos of the events, Its the way of the world, I mean I was sitting in a café with my head phones on watching live on my smart phone the World surfing league competition here at Narrabeen Sydney, the worlds best riders are visiting (Brazilians Americans) etc etc all came here and are touring Australia, we basically don't have Covid, and are now traveling, flying freely domestically and with New Zealand with no restrictions basically life is normal.

My friend emailed me killer still shots from the surfing event followed by some video clips taken by drones, like the masses I didn't even look at the stills I went straight to the video clips, Why, this is what's killing a lot of the camera industry and forcing them to go hybrid and mirrorless. If you look at Jared Polan and Northrups their reviews have shifted greatly to evaluating new video features of the Hybrid mirrorless cameras then they go to stills.

I think for wild life photography stills has a future for a little while. Although someone recently used a drone to go out get really close and cover a Polar bear catching a seal, a lion catching a Zebra. A drone at 10 meters traveling along with Dolphins surfing, Birds high up in a nest, Puffins feeding chicks on a cliff face mountain ledge inaccessible by foot. Is this fair on the creatures not really, but that doesn't stop people doing this just to be popular on U Tube or Face book, so many people they have no regard for animals as they don't even have regard's for plants like paper daisy's I mentioned in my previous post.
We are in a time of great change it seems.

Last edited:
Warren,
I'm almost 75 and getting out to photograph (especially at night) gives me such great pleasure. One recent example.
I gave my wife a break and went up to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor (about 3 hours away) in Feb for 4 nights and again in March for 5 nights to try to get a Milky Way shot I've had in my head for months. It is located from a sea cave only accessible at low tide. My normal photo partner Mike could not make it. Unfortunately, he's still young (relatively) and has one of those things that really screw up his photography plans--a day job. The Milky Way is only visible in Maine starting in mid-Feb and slowly rises until it is vertical in the sky in the late summer. So, for the cave shot, there are only about 10 nights in the year during a new moon phase that it is even possible.

It took four trips down into the cave, alone. The Milky Way core was visible from 2-4am this early in the year. At first, I had no luck. Snowing one night, cloud cover one night, equipment problems one night, and finally on one night, there was a clear sky and I had a chance. It was 5 degrees with 20 MPH winds as I climbed down the ice- and snow-covered rocks (with big ice cleats on my boots). Fortunately, it was calmer in the cave. Cold, but little wind. Only the sound of the incoming tide gently lapping the shore. I was there about four hours (1-5am) and when I came out, the wind had blown snow drifts covering the trail. Since I'd been there before, I knew the trail and waded through the now foot of snow in parts of the trail. I actually had to stop and get my breath. I don't like that. Means I'm really getting old. I convinced myself I was loving the experience.View attachment 17444

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get a few shots that are about 90% of what I had envisioned. Of course, now that I see them, I see other possibilities for next time.
That time spent alone in the cave at 3am was extremely satisfying, even if I didn't get a shot.

So, I encourage you not to give up. It's not about the photos. It's about you. Take at look at this video I made of a solo car trip across America last Sep/Oct and tell me you would not like to visit some of these places: (you may have to copy and paste the link)

Good luck and hang in there,
Brien
How often I have had the same feeling, where the shot I got is close to what I envisioned but not quite what I had in mind. So, I feel a little disappointed. But then someone else sees the beauty of what I did capture and reminds me that art is as much about the observer as of the creator. When I saw your shot, Brien, I thought it was beautiful and unique. The kind of image I wish I had captured. The story of how you got the shot is yours and sharing it with us adds to our experience of seeing the image. What I have as the observer is to see a moment in time that is captured and shared. What you have is the image and the memory of the experience.

Thanks for the image and comments.
John

How often I have had the same feeling, where the shot I got is close to what I envisioned but not quite what I had in mind. So, I feel a little disappointed. But then someone else sees the beauty of what I did capture and reminds me that art is as much about the observer as of the creator. When I saw your shot, Brien, I thought it was beautiful and unique. The kind of image I wish I had captured. The story of how you got the shot is yours and sharing it with us adds to our experience of seeing the image. What I have as the observer is to see a moment in time that is captured and shared. What you have is the image and the memory of the experience.

Thanks for the image and comments.
John

Well said
Oz down under

When I was 14 I got my first camera. That was in 1973. I shot mostly outdoor stuff till I got older. I got a job as a second shooter for a photographer that had a portrait business and was overloaded. I did that in one capacity or another for 8 years. I got so fed up with it that I gave my camera equipment to my brother and didn't touch the camera, other than occasional shot here and there with the cell phone, for 15 years. I moved back here to small town Missouri I started going to the lake. I had to buy myself another camera. That was last July. Now that I'm back into the outdoors and shooting wildlife, where I first started in fell in love with it, I'm at 8,840 shots on my d500 since then. It's the being outdoors and tracking animals just like you would if you were hunting it, learning about them so that you know where to find them and what time of day etc, and the fresh air and solitude of it. There's nothing wrong with taking a break or just trying something you've never tried before in photography. Like you said only you can know that.

When I was 14 I got my first camera. That was in 1973. I shot mostly outdoor stuff till I got older. I got a job as a second shooter for a photographer that had a portrait business and was overloaded. I did that in one capacity or another for 8 years. I got so fed up with it that I gave my camera equipment to my brother and didn't touch the camera, other than occasional shot here and there with the cell phone, for 15 years. I moved back here to small town Missouri I started going to the lake. I had to buy myself another camera. That was last July. Now that I'm back into the outdoors and shooting wildlife, where I first started in fell in love with it, I'm at 8,840 shots on my d500 since then. It's the being outdoors and tracking animals just like you would if you were hunting it, learning about them so that you know where to find them and what time of day etc, and the fresh air and solitude of it. There's nothing wrong with taking a break or just trying something you've never tried before in photography. Like you said only you can know that.
That's supposed to be 25 years not 15.

Every so often, I question whether or not I want to find something else to do with my free time. Lately, those feelings have become stronger. I think we all go through similar times and in the end, I know it's a decision that only I can make. With the money I've spent on gear alone, I could have paid off my mortgage and had a decent retirement account so that I could leave a job I don't like. Just in the last 5 weeks alone, I've invested some 50-60 hrs of weekends mostly standing around waiting for something to happen. Granted, there were about 45 minutes of decent opportunities (only a few of which I could take advantage of) but it seems like what I remember is the time spent. This doesn't include the drive time to and from which runs about 45 minutes each way nor the post processing time to cull and file the few decent shots I get. I'm not sure what else I'd do, but it seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
I know I can't get the killer shots every time, maybe my expectations have risen or maybe the environment has changed but it seems like several years ago, there were more places with activity than there are today. Folks ask me what I do with my photos and I don't have an answer. For the most part, nothing. After I die, I suspect they will all just disappear other than a few that might linger in the clouds.
I suppose the purpose of this post is to find out if others have felt like this and if so, how did you resolve it? (I assume if you gave up on photography, you wouldn't be here, right?)
Take photgraphs for yourself, don't concern yourself with others or what they think except to get constructive feedback if you so desire. At my age, 88, I have to be content with backyard birds, wildlife in local wildlife areas, etc. I love the challenge of getting a photo that satisfies me (every once in a while it happens), but I love the effort. Most of all, I just love being in nature. Restores my soul!

Take photgraphs for yourself, don't concern yourself with others or what they think except to get constructive feedback if you so desire. At my age, 88, I have to be content with backyard birds, wildlife in local wildlife areas, etc. I love the challenge of getting a photo that satisfies me (every once in a while it happens), but I love the effort. Most of all, I just love being in nature. Restores my soul!

Like what you have said, great to see your still out there loving it, I only hope for the same at 88.

I to have always said please your self 1st, 2nd,3rd, bugger the rest, its the journey and the experience that is rewarding the photo is a bonus.
Enjoy what you have, with my gear, If something is not used with in 6 months its sold. Buying new gear, defiantly not at the moment or for a while till the dust settles, and that's no matter how good the new stuff is.

Their is an Old saying, when elephants fight ants get trodden on. Nikon Canon Sony Panasonic, Fuji, etc are all elephants fighting at the moment FOR SURVIVAL....time to take your milk shake and a snack and sit on the side line till the show is over and settled somewhat.
But gee other than wild life or sports action, its getting harder to pass up a top of the line I Phone (45mp ! and climbing) for so many shots and reasons especially when traveling.

only an opinion,

Last edited:
This may sound odd coming from me, but photography has never been my driving force . I love being outside and sharing what I see with others and photography is a means to that end.

I first picked up a camera and started doing nature photography at 10 years old. As I got older, I wanted to pursue photography as a career. Although I'd get the occasional article or photo published in my late teens, it wasn't enough to call it an income.

What's the difference between a pizza and a professional photographer? A pizza can feed a family of four.

At the time I worked at a camera store and there were lots of wedding / portrait photographers. Long story short, I figured if I liked photography I must like all kinds of photography. So, I started doing wedding, portraits, sports items, senior portraits, you name it. It didn't take long before I started to resent seeing appointments on the calendar but the money was good so I kept at it - for too long.

Eventually I burned out (surprise) and went on to something else completely different. I actually sold off all of my camera gear and never wanted to look through a lens again.

Then, about three years later my wife and I were in Las Vegas for a trade show and I stopped by Red Rock canyon with our point & shoot. I started taking photos and had one of the only epiphanies of my life. The reason I loved photography before had very little to do with the photography - it had everything to do with being out in nature, seeing wildlife, and just enjoying the outdoors. Photography was the vehicle I used to share that experience with others. Once I realized that, I immediately went out, got new gear (digital this time) and have been happy ever since.

Sure, it can get discouraging when you go out for hours and not see or get anything, but I tend to enjoy my time out as much as I do the photography. However, it's also easy to get too wrapped up in the "goal" and ignore / take for granted the experience itself.

Hope that helps or makes sense :)
I know this is an older post, comment Steve made regarding photography " it had everything to do with being out in nature". I am an avid fisherman, started at a very young age, been fortunate to be in tournaments around the country. As in photography spent allot of money on travel, gas, boat maintenance, equipment (more rods and reels that i can count), lots of days no fish, not even a nibble. Regardless I enjoyed being out on the water, around wildlife and nature. Like my dad use to say, " A bad of fishing is better than a day at work". My same thoughts about wildlife photography.

Back