Questioning Giving Up Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Like the OP, I have also recently been through a period of lackluster desire for photography. I was finding it difficult to get myself out and taking photos. I am predominantly a bird photographer but also do general wildlife and landscapes and cityscapes etc. The birds have been harder to get recently and due to more population in Sydney I have to go further afield in order to get the birds and more to the point a wider variety as I have already got great examples of the more local birds.

It wasn't until I read Steve Perry's post early in this thread that what he said hit the nail on the head and what I had simply taken for granted until just now. Like Steve, one aspect of what I really enjoy most about photographing birds, wildlife, cityscapes and landscapes etc is the fact it makes me get out into nature and into the streets etc, photography is sort of a bonus to that.

This thread has hopefully inspired me to get out more now.
I am still trying to get back into the driver’s seat myself.

I for the first time in a long time the other day took my Dumb camera on the 28-300, hopped on the express train, strolled around the city harbor, painted with and danced with light in camera, from city scape to people, ferry's, trains, ocean waves.

Then jumped on the ferry to Manly Beach and made a hell of great day of it in blustering windy conditions, it was fantastic.

I had gone back to simplicity, basics, the day out was just magical, dinner before heading home on the train, the trip was wonderful, the photography was a bonus, i got some really lovely outcomes.

People travel from around the world to enjoy doing this that we have on our door step.

The day offered Great colour, contrast, clarity, natural sharpness, the Rodinstock CP delivered in the sunny conditions, the wind produced super clarity all amounting to natural organic like photos taken in JPEG Fine, Vivid etc etc.

The dumb camera is my DF 16mp, simply simple and it took me back to where it all started, photography, i enjoyed honing my long earned skill sets.

Yes i could have taken the Z8 D850, but No the DF is my totally dumb camera, the 28-300 my travel and reconnaissance lens, so versatile.

As Thom Hogan once said to me, it seems you are obsessing a lot about the camera gear not photography why not use or enjoy what you have got ? ............

Steve's point makes a lot of sense and is actually very true.

Only an opinion

I am in Darwin. Been here over a week. Got three trips up Buffalo Creek booked. My problem is my general health. I get frustrated because I can’t do what I did. I no longer dream of getting great shots, just take those that present themselves. Once I accepted the obvious life became much simpler.

Reactions: O
Back