Rare captures

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Robert S

I was looking through some old photos today. Amateurs are able to get photos of things today that were not possible thirty years ago. Professional wildlife photographers combine two things. They have technical skills and are able to spend months chasing the 'perfect shot'. I watched a doco about birds of paradise. A guy [ with help ] built a hide high in the jungle canopy to get photos. Not something the average tourist with a camera could do. Anyway with so many people taking so many photographs it is possible to get a rare capture.
Have you captured something rare?
My example is a Kookaburra with a young Red Bellied Black snake. I have another of a Kookaburra with a rodent. I have seen a Kookaburra with a rodent twice, but only once have I seen a Kookaburra with a snake.
EOS 400D Tamron AF 200-400mm [ 390mm ] f10 1/500 sec ISO 250 Date taken Oct 2011

IMG_5185.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Please post your rare images.

What professional wildlife photographers do is spend a lot of time marketing photos (and related income streams).

IDK how rare this photo is but it would have been very difficult without modern technology and a lot of dumb luck.

lanlud07.jpg

BTW I prefer to think of it as a photograph rather than a capture.

I was looking through some old photos today. Amateurs are able to get photos of things today that were not possible thirty years ago. Professional wildlife photographers combine two things. They have technical skills and are able to spend months chasing the 'perfect shot'. I watched a doco about birds of paradise. A guy [ with help ] built a hide high in the jungle canopy to get photos. Not something the average tourist with a camera could do. Anyway with so many people taking so many photographs it is possible to get a rare capture.
Have you captured something rare?
My example is a Kookaburra with a young Red Bellied Black snake. I have another of a Kookaburra with a rodent. I have seen a Kookaburra with a rodent twice, but only once have I seen a Kookaburra with a snake.
EOS 400D Tamron AF 200-400mm [ 390mm ] f10 1/500 sec ISO 250 Date taken Oct 2011

View attachment 86544

Please post your rare images.

This sight is really rare indeed to see.

Hard to know what really is rare out there.

Is a coot and a harrier having a pissing match rare? Maybe...I've only seen it the once.
Is capturing the moment the KF beak hits the water but hasn't disturbed the water yet rare? Maybe...but I've managed it a couple times with 30FPS

Just two photos I thought of off the top of my head....

October 23, 2021-3.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

July 01, 2022.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

Another photo made with a lot of dumb luck, a North American River Otter diving into a pond. Modern technology would have reduced the luck factor because I'd have had animal eye AF and a frame rate > 2 fps available.

I love this shot. Have you tried cropping it portrait orientation to fill the frame with just the otter and its reflection? That would make an awesome image, if you have the pixels available.

Head to Head
We were out looking a pride of lions in Mara North Conservancy in the Masai Mara, Kenya when we came across the carcass of a hippo that had died two days previously. The head and neck had been picked clean but the weigh of the hide prevented the lions, jackals and hyenas from getting into the body through the neck or ripping the skin . This lioness showing both incredible optimism and a degree of ingenuity decided to try to pull the skeleton and meat out. After a valiant struggle the lioness had to admit defeat but it was fun to photograph.

20230407-Z62_2555.jpg

This was the lioness after that battle, it certainly took its toll

20230407-NZ9_3274-Enhanced.jpg

Last edited:
Back