Rare captures

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

An Atlantic Puffin in Newfoundland was curious about the GoPro, that was pointed at its colony.

Attachments

• Puffin resized-2.JPG
    Puffin resized-2.JPG
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 41
Our guide got a call a little before 5:00 in the evening (the park closes at 6:00) to come quickly. We drove to a spot and for the next hour sat in the Land Cruiser in the middle of a pride of 31 lions - all ages. These three were grooming one another.

Tanzania Oct 30 2018 #4734.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was looking through some old photos today. Amateurs are able to get photos of things today that were not possible thirty years ago. Professional wildlife photographers combine two things. They have technical skills and are able to spend months chasing the 'perfect shot'. I watched a doco about birds of paradise. A guy [ with help ] built a hide high in the jungle canopy to get photos. Not something the average tourist with a camera could do. Anyway with so many people taking so many photographs it is possible to get a rare capture.
Have you captured something rare?
My example is a Kookaburra with a young Red Bellied Black snake. I have another of a Kookaburra with a rodent. I have seen a Kookaburra with a rodent twice, but only once have I seen a Kookaburra with a snake.
EOS 400D Tamron AF 200-400mm [ 390mm ] f10 1/500 sec ISO 250 Date taken Oct 2011

View attachment 86544
My rarest was butterfly laying eggs.
https://bcgforums.com/threads/laying-eggs-in-the-peruvian-amazon.14831/#post-167864

This is a poor photo, but a rare sight. . We watched this cheetah stalking a herd of zebras for almost an hour. He finally concluded it was not going to happen. At that moment, he spotted this waterbuck in a pond about a hundred yards away. He gradually moved in and finally sprang into the water - the chase was on. I shot frames with abandon. I could barely see the animals with a 600 mm lens. The cheetah gradually closed the gap. They finally turned to exit the water. One of my last frames showed the cat about to make a final leap onto the antelope. The next frame showed the waterbuck trotting off while the cheetah collapsed with exhaustion. There were a half dozen or so veteran guides watching the show and none had ever seen a cheetah go into the water like this after prey.

Tanzania Oct 24 2018 #1075.jpg

I don't know if you could consider all of these rare images but they seem to be with many comments i have had.

A common nighthawk skimming the water to get a drink. While it is common around the stock tanks in West Texas it is very rare to see a photo.
DSC_3018-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Two coyote pups playing. It took me two weeks of getting closer and closer each day to get this shot.
750_9780 - 2016-06-22 at 07-15-16.jpg

A barn owl got too close to a Kingbirds nest
DSC_9549-2.jpg

And american Avocet catches a tadpole in a playa lake. I have been told by wildlife biologists that Avocets don't eat large tadpoles like this one.

500_0068.jpg

This image was taken in Southeast AZ. I had been looking for four legged wildlife but had struck our. Finally left my tripod with camera setting by a Beaver Pond and walked toward a brown object that I had seen out of the corner of my eye. Had a camera around my neck as well. As it turned out it was a Bear that was coming down a small incline toward me. I took some images and then the Bear went around me and headed toward my tripod and camera. I followed at a distance and watched as the Bear became very curious about my Tripod/camera. Long story short, the Bear checked out the camera but caused on damage. I decided it was a Canon shooter and my camera was a Nikon ;-).
_DM11130.jpg

_DM11133.jpg

Head to Head
We were out looking a pride of lions in Mara North Conservancy in the Masai Mara, Kenya when we came across the carcass of a hippo that had died two days previously. The head and neck had been picked clean but the weigh of the hide prevented the lions, jackals and hyenas from getting into the body through the neck or ripping the skin . This lioness showing both incredible optimism and a degree of ingenuity decided to try to pull the skeleton and meat out. After a valiant struggle the lioness had to admit defeat but it was fun to photograph.

View attachment 86661

This was the lioness after that battle, it certainly took its toll

View attachment 86662
Tough night. Amazing image.

Back