Recommendations for replacing 800 PF lens foot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

fotogrob

Has anyone replaced the foot on the 800 PF with an Acra-Swiss compatible one? If so, which one. I see the Wimberly AP-555 is reasonably priced. Is there another one can recommend and why.

I put the Kirk replacement foot on mine. I wanted a foot that included a QD socket and the Kirk foot has that. Plus it was bit less than the King's Ransom that RRS charges for it's replacement feet.

There are now a few solutions -- I worked with Zenelli to develop their solution, which like the rest works on 400/2.8TC, 600/4.0TC and 800/6.3. It is made from a combination of Carbon Fibre and Alloy and as a result is the lightest solution available. Wimberley is the only one of the usual sources who I had hoped would come out with a "FLAT" version of their replacement lens foot that fits on these lenses as well - but the last time we communicated there appears less than interested. I used these flat lens feet then travelling to save space.

The stock Nikon foot is actually really nice for hand holding, though I did swap it out for a Hejnar, which is typical high-quality, and can recommend it without reservation.

I echo Andy’s statement about re having a flat Wimberley foot, as I think it would work really well on this lens.

I’ve found that the 800PF is fairly comfortable to hand hold without the foot, ie hand on lens barrel; the only issue about that I have is that it makes using the focus/control rings more difficult because you have to readjust your support hand to grant them enough space to turn. Bracing on the foot creates a gap to allow free turning of the rings.

Edit: since posting this, I went and got out the stock Nikon foot, and am swapping back and forth bw it and the Hejnar, to see which I prefer. The Nikon feels much nicer and silky in hand vs. the AS groves on the Hejnar, but the Hejnar is longer/wider, and allows for better distribution of weight across the palm. The Nikon though, due to being a bit shorter, causes my fingers to fall exactly on the focus ring vs. the control ring w/ the Hejnar, which is a big plus.

Honestly, I don’t know which I’m going to go with long-term. Research is ongoing.

Last edited:
Comparing the Kirk and Hejnar, the specs show the Hejnar is longer (0.65”), wider (0.23”), and not as tall.
Wondering if the extra Hejnar length makes it any easier to find the balance point on a tripod or hand hold, or is the small length difference negligible?

It looks like the Hejnar has 2 QD attachments and the Kirk has 1 QD.
The Kirk foot looks like it would be more comfortable to hand hold.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried both…

I bolted on a Desmond DPL-150 plate with its two mounting bolts that cost $15 with free shipping. With a lens like the 800mm PF I want as much range to adjust the center of gravity whether mounting on a gimbal head or using a video head. The replacement foot are never long enough to do that.

I also would never trust a lens and camera to a QD pin which provides a trivial gain in speed with a high cost for failure. If I had a QD mount fail it would take a very long time to replace my 800mm PF lens and my Z9 camera.

Out today with the Nikon foot instead of my Hejnar, and I have to say that I think the Nikon foot is better for handholding. It’s just so comfortable in the hand, like a silky piece of butter, whereas the Hejnar is rather edgy.

If you’re intending to handhold this lens 100% of the time, save your money and stick with the Nikon foot.

I think both KIrk and RRS make a replacement foot. As a long term RRS customer/fan I tend to order their products.

I have the Really Right Stuff LCF-22 for my Z 600mm TC. I'm sure the other options are comparable but I've ordered so many L-Plates, lens feet, flash brackets, a ball head and other RRS accessories I stayed with the same brand. It took much longer to receive than expected, about 2 1/2 months, but I have a L85 universal plate that sufficed while I waited. The RRS foot with its rounded edges is very comfortable to hand hold.

I just use a flat AS plate on my 800mm PF. It let's me use the stock foot with the padded grip.
Eric, like others have said, I find the Nikon foot very comfortable to hand hold and rather than replace it, I'd like to know if the plate you use lessens the feel of the foot when carrying it. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what length and brand did you buy?

Eric, like others have said, I find the Nikon foot very comfortable to hand hold and rather than replace it, I'd like to know if the plate you use lessens the feel of the foot when carrying it. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what length and brand did you buy?
I did not find the flat plate reduced the comfort level at all. It makes it a bit larger and better when you are carrying it or using a Black Rapid strap.

Back