Recommendations for replacing 800 PF lens foot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don't have the Z800 but have bought 4-5 Kirk feet and am pleased with them. Very sturdy and nicely engineered, and as frdjohns pointed out Kirk products cost a little less than RRS - can't go wrong with Kirk, in my opinion

I did not find the flat plate reduced the comfort level at all. It makes it a bit larger and better when you are carrying it or using a Black Rapid strap.
Thanks. Wimberly suggests the P30 for the 800 PF but I suppose it depends on whether you plan to attach a flash bracket or something else to the extra length.

The 800mm PF has the perfect weight distribution with a Z9 attached. The balance point on a gimbal is about 1 inch forward of where the foot attaches to the lens. Once I realized that this was the case I bought a $50 Haoge LF-Z48 foot.

With my 500mm PF and 400mm f/4.5 lenses the weight distribution was quite different and I needed a long plate to be able to balance the lens and camera on a head.

+1 on the Hejnar replacement foot. Very solid, two QD connection points, balances well on a gimbal. + made in USA!
I have Hejnar on my 500PF, Z600PF, Z70-200; Z100-400. but the Z800 seems big/heavy enough I was considering just getting the Hejnar plate instead of replacing the full foot, sole so I could keep the soft aspect of the original foot. I can't find anybody who has actually used the Hejnar plate. Seems like everybody just replaces the whole foot.

I have Hejnar on my 500PF, Z600PF, Z70-200; Z100-400. but the Z800 seems big/heavy enough I was considering just getting the Hejnar plate instead of replacing the full foot, sole so I could keep the soft aspect of the original foot. I can't find anybody who has actually used the Hejnar plate. Seems like everybody just replaces the whole foot.
Great question and am sorry I'm unable to assist. I do have his plate for the 180-600 and it's fantastic.

The 800mm PF has the perfect weight distribution with a Z9 attached. The balance point on a gimbal is about 1 inch forward of where the foot attaches to the lens. Once I realized that this was the case I bought a $50 Haoge LF-Z48 foot.

With my 500mm PF and 400mm f/4.5 lenses the weight distribution was quite different and I needed a long plate to be able to balance the lens and camera on a head.
My experience with the Haoge foot is rather bad : the QD socket started to pull out of place (see pic). So I ended buying a Kirk foot… Classic buy cheap buy twice.
I always use a tether safety strap, so even if the Hagoe foot QD was completely Fail on me, probably the camera and lens weren’t damaged (see pic with the Kirk foot)

If not using the QD , the Hagoe foot will be fine I guess

Attachments

• 38d6f37f-fd02-494f-9881-867d35e4ccd7.jpeg
    38d6f37f-fd02-494f-9881-867d35e4ccd7.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 29
  • b93c67b8-4ad2-4fbc-aa78-5a1f1d69fd0a.jpeg
    b93c67b8-4ad2-4fbc-aa78-5a1f1d69fd0a.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 31
I planned to go with the Hejnar foot for my 600 TC, but importing it to Norway made it quite expensive. So I went with the Wimberley AP-502 that is sold in stores here in Norway and I really like it. I‘m glad I went with this foot.

I did not find the flat plate reduced the comfort level at all. It makes it a bit larger and better when you are carrying it or using a Black Rapid strap.
Hi Eric,

Do you know what plate you have used with the 800 pf and stock Nikon foot? I, too, like the feel of the stock foot when carrying by hand. The inexpensive foot I'm using has some play in the larger bolt which causes it to loosen easily. Thank you!

Scott

I chose the Haoge LF-Z48 foot as I would never trust and expensive and difficult to find lens to a QD mount. The Kirk Photo Security Strap clamps onto any Arca-Swiss foot or lens plate and is 100% secure.

It is not cheap but I have been using the same strap for the past 10 years with all my lenses and it is very compact to roll up and put in a small pocket until needed.

Ditto for the Kirk LP-72SG. To me the additional Sure Grip coating is worth it. Additionally it balances nicely and the insignia on the inside provides the perfect balancing reference mark with the Z8.

Back