Sell 850 and get a Z7ii?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just an update. I've been trying out the Z7ii for 2 days and really do not like the electronic viewfinder. It was especially inferior to an optical viewfinder when I was taking some portraits at a dinner party.

Was this because the EVF was showing you the image you would be getting with the settings you have on the camera (WYSIWYG) rather than showing you, for want of better words, an uncorrected image?

Also I have found with both my Fujis and Z6ii that eye detect AF will need user understanding of how to get the best from it - and more importantly when not to use it., and I suggest that you don't jump to conclsions.

I made a huge mistake buying the Z7 II. I shoot a lot of race cars and the AF system isn't capable of taking an acceptable keeper rate when panning. I realize you're saying you don't shoot fast action shots but I'm disappointed in the camera in general. It's clear mirrorless is the future but in my opinion Nikon wasn't ready to bring the Z7 and Z7 II to market. If you can pull it off financially go with the Z8 if you're making the move to mirrorless.

When I went mirrorless Nikon I was looking at the Z7ii as the nearest (but not equivalent) to my D850, but went for a Z6ii after doing a lot of research and one factor was that the Z6ii does 12fps. It is a shame that there is nothing between 5.5 fps and 14, but I put up with it.

This may seem like a dumb move but let me explain why I’m thinking of it. I have the D6 which I love and always take it out instead of the 850 unless I will need to be cropping with bird and wildlife shots. I don’t mind the weight and feel in my hands is perfect. I bought the 850 used and have never really bonded with it. I sold my 780 to get it in order to have the more pixels of the 850 but I actually preferred the 780. I thought AF on it was better than the 850.

I have not been drawn to the mirrorless until I read recently something here about the Z7 or Z7ii. That got me thinking that perhaps that would be a good move. However I am hesitant because I’ve read enough complaints about the AF. I want a camera that will focus easily on static objects or slowly moving ones. For anything with action I will always use the D6. I am planning a few birding trips but have never been drawn to getting BIF’s. Getting a good shot of perched ones is enough! I am wondering if the eye detection makes up for any shortcomings compared to the 850.

The advantages I see theoretically of the Z7ii is eye detection, lighter when that is important, being able to take street shots on the articulated screen, and a completely silent mode. I’ve tried shooting from live view on the 850 and it’s pretty useless. The 780 was much better because I think it has the same system as the Z6.

As always I will benefit from the vast experience on this site.

Thanks.

Are you happy spending a lot of money to get into mirrorless glass and is that something you even want to do.

Nikon is not fully on the page with mirrorless tracking and focusing by comparison to other brands, the Z8 and Z9 is the best they have been able to achieve and they are slightly behind Sony and more so Canon.

If you're looking to do sports action, wild life, BIF with a mirrorless system and want to be dependant on focusing tracking done automatically the only two real choices in Nikon are the Z8 z9. But in low contrast subjects with Stickiness the D6 still has the edge.

If you want to shoot normally on holidays travel etc in mirrorless the Z7II is small light and fine but I prefer the iPhone 14 LOL.

I have a D850 and a Z9 I rent a D6 for critical low light low contrast stuff, there is no photography I can't do on any of these cameras, there all tools that in the end do much of the same capturing a moment it time, they just go about it differently depending on your skill set.

In Nikon mirror less other than the Z8 Z9 everything else is obsolete by comparison.

Choices decisions, good luck, remember everyone is different LOL.

Do what you love, not what's on trend.

Only an opinion

The only real benefit of going mirror less is the newer glass and if your prepared to invest.
I’ll be the first to admit that there are pros and cons for switching from Nikon DSLRs to MLs, with better glass being a pro for Nikon’s Z bodies. But I’ve moved on from a D850 to the Z9 for bird photography using almost all F mount glass, the only exception being a recently purchased 800mm PF. While I’m not totally enamored with the Z9’s AF vs the D850’s, I really do appreciate the subject ID combined with 3D AF and full screen focus points for composing images. I also now prefer the Z9’s EVF (which can render the viewfinder image showing effects of exposure settings, is brighter when shooting at smaller apertures or in low light, live histogram, etc), quieter vibration-free shooting (my D850 in burst mode has sometimes spooked birds and wildlife), much faster frame rate, pre-capture mode, complete AF functionality at f/8 and smaller apertures, smaller size and less weight vs gripped D850, etc.
If you have good skill sets then any camera will do.
If comparing top Nikon DSLRs like the D500, D850 or D5/6 vs the Z8 and Z9 for bird/action photography, I could generally agree. Each camera type has its strengths and weaknesses that will help users decide which best meets their needs.
I mean I love and prefer the D6 period for challenging situations and the DSLR reliability, and I have a z9 sitting on the shelf,
I could certainly see a D6 being preferred over a Z9 in some situations and a Z9 preferred in others. I’ve always thought of the D5 and D6 as niche cameras designed for pro sport, wildlife and event photographers with its tank-like build, outstanding AF (especially in low light), relatively noiseless images at high ISOs, and moderate file sizes.

The Z9, while being the new flagship body, has been designed to serve a wider set of users along the lines of a D850 on steroids, but at possibly the expense of some who have come to rely on the D6’s special feature set.

I mean we are allowed to be different lol.
Yes! 😄
There is new Nikon camera coming that may suite you possibly that is better than any Z7 Z7II, but as usual waiting, fixing, recalls etc may be the scene again as usual.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I’ll be the first to admit that there are pros and cons for switching from Nikon DSLRs to MLs, with better glass being a pro for Nikon’s Z bodies. But I’ve moved on from a D850 to the Z9 for bird photography using almost all F mount glass, the only exception being a recently purchased 800mm PF. While I’m not totally enamored with the Z9’s AF vs the D850’s, I really do appreciate the subject ID combined with 3D AF and full screen focus points for composing images. I also now prefer the Z9’s EVF (which can render the viewfinder image showing effects of exposure settings, is brighter when shooting at smaller apertures or in low light, live histogram, etc), quieter vibration-free shooting (my D850 in burst mode has sometimes spooked birds and wildlife), much faster frame rate, pre-capture mode, complete AF functionality at f/8 and smaller apertures, smaller size and less weight vs gripped D850, etc.

If comparing top Nikon DSLRs like the D500, D850 or D5/6 vs the Z8 and Z9 for bird/action photography, I could generally agree. Each camera type has its strengths and weaknesses that will help users decide which best meets their needs.

I could certainly see a D6 being preferred over a Z9 in some situations and a Z9 preferred in others. I’ve always thought of the D5 and D6 as niche cameras designed for pro sport, wildlife and event photographers with its tank-like build, outstanding AF (especially in low light), relatively noiseless images at high ISOs, and moderate file sizes.

The Z9, while being the new flagship body, has been designed to serve a wider set of users along the lines of a D850 on steroids, but at possibly the expense of some who have come to rely on the D6’s special feature set.

Yes! 😄
Enjoyed reading your reply, Completely understand and I agree with your well made points.

I mean the benefits and features all help people decide or choose their new camera system and it's called new technology and progress that helps a lot of people achieve their objective.

I do feel its important to not just focus on the specific model camera but more so the company brand making them.

Like anything Some companies just do it better and more reliably than others.

In my way of thinking for most people the mirrorless camera benefits you describe certainly help and it is the future whether we like it or not LOL.

We should keep an open mind and selectively embrace new technology but MOST IMPORTANTLY at the same time not fear we are being left far behind, or need to update with every new model or else.

I mean for fast moving action wild life etc other than the rushed Z8 Z9 all other Z models have been a waste of money and time. The interim refresh downsized version of the Z9 being the Z8 model is a great camera by any means, it has effected resale of any Z9 well at least here in OZ.

I to have scared of birds or had unwanted attention from shutter sounds LOL.

The histogram and image seen in the viewfinder is great and helps a lot of people determine their exposure correctly.

My self I get to know my camera - what ever I am using and the glass and in manual lean left or right a stop or two from experience I guess call it second nature LOL.

I shoot anything moving fast at F4 F7.1 even F10 if its great sunlight, 3200-4000 ss, floated iso, -03 or -07 ev this covers so much of my needs, I mostly shoot 5-12fps if that, if its critical I use raw plus jpeg fine and edit in post, but in 95% of cases Jpegs are perfectly fine as I tweak the preferred settings like saturation sharpness contrast etc etc in camera.

As to animal detect etc that's a great feature to help engage optimal settings for many people but for me is more a marketing tool, I either use matrix for everything or on occasions pin point.

I use 9 or 25 focus points and 95% of the time nail the subject or I try not to shoot in the first place.

I guess I am old school and rely very much on what I do using the Kiss principal, I don't have a need to get into or rely on all the fantastic new technology features that makes me need to choose or think of what I need to do for optimal results through what essentially is a computer LOL.

I like the sensor IS VR, tilt screen, optional ss, focus speed. As to tracking or eye detection etc I see it for myself as a optional luxury, and in some cameras are sadly not fully reliable especially in lower contrast environments/applications, this seems to be a mirrorless signature again worse for some companies than others. I see this area needs to develop more if they want to finally put a nail in the coffin of the DSLR Pro level models. I mean I could really be out of date to.

I think mirrorless offers a lot for people who rely on or like and embrace the optional features.

I think the new technology about to arrive with Sony and Canon will again likely widen that gap to Nikon, sadly I hope I am wrong.

I like my Z9, I like my D850 for other things and reasons, love the D6 when I rent one LOL, there just different tolls.

I feel that Canon has the focus tracking edge out of the three followed closely by Sony, the R1 will be I assume amazing as will the A1 replacement. I mean early signs of Canons consumer range focus tracking is very impressive.

But hey so many people are still killing it out there with DSLRS and FX glass and leaving some skilled state of the art mirrorless owners and shooters of the podium, LOL I mean skill sets do have a serious value.

The best camera in the world is the one you have in your hand at the time LOL.

After all we are only playing with that old combination of time, light, and speed to record capture a moment that for the viewer evokes emotion tells a story or makes memories.

Only an opinion

Back