Senser cleaning - Z 9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Charles Loy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Assume this is the proper board for this, regarding Nikon Z 8 and Z9.
Has anyone physically cleaned the above cameras mirrorless senser? I thought I had, but apparent have not. There is a clean image sensor in setup menu, I ran that a few times, but I prefer swab cleaning.

Make sure the Camera is turned OFF or you will damage the IBIS as when on, the sensor is not locked or "parked". So you will need to turn off the sensor shield if it's on so when you turn off the camera, the sensor will be accessible. At that point, I just clean the sensor like my old DSLRs with a blower, sensor specific brush and wet swabs. I have only cleaned my Z9 3 times. I will clean it every 6-8 months as maintenance

Make sure the Camera is turned OFF or you will damage the IBIS as when on, the sensor is not locked or "parked". So you will need to turn off the sensor shield if it's on so when you turn off the camera, the sensor will be accessible. At that point, I just clean the sensor like my old DSLRs with a blower, sensor specific brush and wet swabs. I have only cleaned my Z9 3 times. I will clean it every 6-8 months as maintenance

Got it done! Thanks -

As for wet swabs, my preference is to use a a gel stick first. If that doesn't get the sensor clean, then I will use a wet swab as a last resort. I've managed to keep my Z8 sensor clean for the last 11 months by using the built-in sensor clean function and the rocket blower. On my Z6II prior to that I had not needed to do a wet swab for two years, again the rocket blower and gel stick were enough.

This topic comes up in various photo forums from time to time and a lot of users seem to do it themselves with no issue. I have an excellent local camera repair shop and am too afraid to try it myself so I take it to them. Considering how infrequently I need it (maybe once every year or two), I don't mind paying for it to be done professionally. Plus I like to support them (small shop run by husband and wife) because whenever I need a quick fix (lens screw tightened or whatever) they will do it on the spot for free.

I don't ever use the in camera sensor cleaner. All that does is let any dust fall into the camera and will eventually find it's way back into the sensor.

I've never had any dust spots on my Z9's sensor to date. I just do a cleaning as maintenance as mentioned

They are microfiber cloths so they don't scratch. I use them on screens and lenses.
As you say, these cloths are great for cleaning lenses, screens and the like. I would however be hesitant to use them to clean a sensor.

The main problem is that if there's any sort of pollutant (dust, sand,...) that got into the microfibre cloth; it could cause tiny scratches when used. In the case of a lens and screen, you probably wouldn't even notice them and it would have little to no impact on your images (this is not me advocating scratching lenses btw ;) ). With a sensor, you're almost certainly going to see it in your images if you scratch the sensor (or technically speaking the filter protecting the actual sensor) and it would require a repair job to replace said filter.

I have owned my Z9 a couple years, and the Z8 a year. This was the first time cleaning either. I noticed a spot in the photos that was easy to edit away, but wanted to clean the 9 rather than edit the area. It's done, easy thanks to @EricKlees instructions.
Thanks to all, take care of our photo tools.

Last edited:
Rocket blower clears most; the sensor swabs clear the rest. To be honest, with the Z9 and the sensor shield, I've only used the sensor swabs a few times. The technique takes some practice. If you have a lot of dust spots on the sensor, it's easy to just move them around and not get them all. But at least they can be moved to the edges. With previous cameras, I would send in the bodies to Nikon to clean, but they don't always do a perfect job either.

My cleaning kit is old, but still addresses my needs, in order of use:
- Visible Dust Sensor Loupe for inspecting the sensor before and after to ensure any dust that was visible is removed
- Hepa Filtered blower for the first attempt to remove dust
- Visible Dust Sensor Brush - to remove dust that the blower did not
- Sensor Gel Stick - I have never needed to use it on my Z7ii, Z8, Z9
- Wet swabs - The last time I needed to use a wet swab was about 4 years ago when my Z6 came back from Lifepixel with some stubborn spots.

The Z8 & Z9 with the sensor shield, electronic shutters, and the fact they do not have a mirror have significantly reduced the need for cleaning compared to my older DSLRs. In fact, the only dust I have found on my Z8 was after it was serviced by Nikon for on of the first recalls LOL

Assume this is the proper board for this, regarding Nikon Z 8 and Z9.
Has anyone physically cleaned the above cameras mirrorless senser? I thought I had, but apparent have not. There is a clean image sensor in setup menu, I ran that a few times, but I prefer swab cleaning.
I send my both camera, the Z8 and Z9 to Nikon servive at least one time per year for cleaning and checking the camera. after every trip, I clean myself using the blower for the inside and brush and tissues for the outside. My Z9 is always attached to my 600 mm tc, so I never change lenses with it. However i Use my Z8 with my other lenses. If I am in very dusty areas, I tried not to changes lenses and if I have to do I make sure I take all precaution before I do it.

I send my both camera, the Z8 and Z9 to Nikon servive at least one time per year for cleaning and checking the camera. after every trip, I clean myself using the blower for the inside and brush and tissues for the outside. My Z9 is always attached to my 600 mm tc, so I never change lenses with it. However i Use my Z8 with my other lenses. If I am in very dusty areas, I tried not to changes lenses and if I have to do I make sure I take all precaution before I do it.
I do as you, except the first part of sending to Nikon yearly. Fact is, I never send in (other then the Z8 recalls), if a camera dies I buy another.

I don't ever use the in camera sensor cleaner. All that does is let any dust fall into the camera and will eventually find it's way back into the sensor.

I've never had any dust spots on my Z9's sensor to date. I just do a cleaning as maintenance as mentioned
I do use the z9 sensor clean program but only if the sensor shield in off mode and camera facing down so anything shaken off has a chance to fall out of the camera. I run it 3 or 4 times. Then turn the camera off always keeping it facing down. And use a giottos rocket blower to blow accross the snensor and opening. Then put the body cap back on and turn the camera on and the sensor shield back to close when the camera turns off. So far it works.

I have done similar cleanings on my wifes Z50 and Z7II, of course no sensor shield to deal with.

Paddle and sensor cleaning fluid is the normal way for myself, but i am spoiled as i have Nikon clean my sensors all for free several times a year when i drop things in for an update.
But the paddle and fluid usually travels in my camera bag.

I do not know of a video but @Steve covers cleaning the sensor in his The ultimate Z9 and Z8 set up and shooting guide for wildlife photography. Starts on page 45 .. pretty much the way I describe above.
Yup! Its in the books.
And also set automatic cleaning to OFF! You don’t want it cleaning on its own for the reasons Steve mentioned.

One other thing to remember, when you see a particle on your screen, at the right side, clean the opposite side on the sensor.
I’m not sure why and how the sensor’s image gets flipped

Yup! Its in the books.
And also set automatic cleaning to OFF! You don’t want it cleaning on its own for the reasons Steve mentioned.

One other thing to remember, when you see a particle on your screen, at the right side, clean the opposite side on the sensor.
I’m not sure why and how the sensor’s image gets flipped
The image captured by the lens (and recorded on the sensor) is flipped.

Back