Shot of the Olympics taken with a Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In key aspects like wildlife photography, sports photography is all about capturing the proverbial moment. High frame rates and modern Autofocus technology obviously give us significant advantages. This image has been going viral since released by AFP on Tuesday

Jerome Brouillet is seen with his Z9 and 100-400 S in this interview

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see how Deep-Learning AF modes develop over the next few years. True to tradition, Sports photography is a principal catalyst for the R&D camera engineers are investing into this technology. After first releases in flagships, it should be rolled out in more affordable cameras (if the Nikon strategy becomes standard ie Z9 >Z8>Zf>Z6 III).

Bird and Animal Subject Detection have become extremely useful - if not invaluable - for modern wildlife photography. In the pro sports arena, the latest Deep-Learning innovations and high fidelity for human face recognition (Canon R1) can even enable tracking an individual athlete within a team - as currently being showcased in Paris

Last edited:
Ignoring brands first, the success of this photo for me is the raised arm with the raised finger, the surfer above the skyline, the horizontal "rope" to the surfboard, and the vertical position of the board mirroring the surfer.

Without high fps the chances of a shot with perfect timing like this is close to nil.

Looking sideways Canon seem to now have AF technology able to track the player currently with the ball.

5 years from now there will be more new AF technology to use.

Personally, and that is pedantic I know, the AF advances will be in the field of subject detection. The AF, as in the mechanical movement of lens elements to get something in focus, is actually pretty stable since lens-integrated motors becames the norm. All innovation in that field was evolutionary and not revolutionary.

As far as subject detection goes, sports pros will benefit greatly from it. As will wildlife and action pros on an assigment with limited time in the field. For the rest of us, well, as soon as you stop measuring your photographic success (because there is no real metric to do so for non-paid work, and even of there were it woupd be pointless to do so for a non-competitive hobby) e.g. in the keeper rate (and there is no universal scale to define a "keeper"), the AF that gives you 18 in focus images for your 20 FPS has all of a sudden a lot less value.

Sure, that tech is nice and dandy, and a cool toy. Except for some pro photographers (as in people being paid to produce images for clients or agencies, if they sell prints and books they are independent artists, if they sell course work they are freelance educators and teachers; one can be multiple of those things at the same time), they aren't tools so, they are toys. Oh, and marketing material for OEMs having to sell new camera bodies and lenses!

In key aspects like wildlife photography, sports photography is all about capturing the proverbial moment. High frame rates and modern Autofocus technology obviously give us significant advantages. This image has been going viral since released by AFP on Tuesday

View attachment 94440

Jerome Brouillet is seen with his Z9 and 100-400 S in this interview

There is no denying the video but I reckon that the photo isn’t composite of several, not overly well done either. There is odd artefacts around the board, around the surfer and the rope. There is also the flattest, most parallel bit of cloud I’ve ever seen. Anyway, that’s my two cents.

As someone who photograps the pro surfing circuit for close to three decades:

1. Awesome shot of an athlete who may become the best surfer in history

2. Totally legit

3. Actually fairly common pose and not that hard to capture, but the agencies aren't asking for "dismounts." Our money shots are in a barrel on the lip and big air.

4. Surfing isn't hard to shoot. Very predictable and much slower than a bird... AF is not as hard as you think, exposure is. Scenes are often very bright and harsh (mid-day tide, for example) and dynamic range often exceed sensors' (dark skin surfer, clear sky) which is a problem for JPEG, shooting wide open, lowest ISO. Cover shots are all about composition.

5. Did I mention awesome shot?

This morning I spent an hour in Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica, probably the center of surfing in this country and home to two Olympians (one, Brissa Henessy, is competing today). Every grom was imitating the pose!

Usually it requires access to the original, or at least a high quality / resolution, file of an image to properly tell if it is fake / composite / whatever. And then it requires some profound analysis of the image. Without any of that, it is just a claim. I think we can do better than this.

This type of discussion has repeated on this forum and others, where you all get upset because someone thinks your camera is the reason you got the good shot. Which is it folks? Are we really saying the z9 was responsible for this? Or does the human get some credit?

Not getting into a slanging match. I’m entitled to my opinion as you are to yours……take it or leave it.

I guess I'd leave it in this case as I don't see the evidence of fakery, but who knows? It's a strong claim to make against a pro photographer, similar to accusing a coach of stealing signals or a country of doping. More evidence is needed before calling the pro a fake.

Last edited:
As someone who photograps the pro surfing circuit for close to three decades:

1. Awesome shot of an athlete who may become the best surfer in history

2. Totally legit

3. Actually fairly common pose and not that hard to capture, but the agencies aren't asking for "dismounts." Our money shots are in a barrel on the lip and big air.

4. Surfing isn't hard to shoot. Very predictable and much slower than a bird... AF is not as hard as you think, exposure is. Scenes are often very bright and harsh (mid-day tide, for example) and dynamic range often exceed sensors' (dark skin surfer, clear sky) which is a problem for JPEG, shooting wide open, lowest ISO. Cover shots are all about composition.

5. Did I mention awesome shot?

This morning I spent an hour in Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica, probably the center of surfing in this country and home to two Olympians (one, Brissa Henessy, is competing today). Every grom was imitating the pose!

You nailed it, Nimi - thank you!

I guess I'd leave it in this case as I don't see the evidence of fakery, but who knows? It's a strong claim to make against a pro photographer, similar to accusing a coach of stealing signals or a country of doping. More evidence is needed before calling the pro a fake.
I agree with @Nimi summary #8 of the context to this impressive photograph by a sports Pro. The guy earned just deserves from investing the years on location to know his subjects, genre and vagaries of the surf etc very well. Kudos to Monsieur Brouillet :D

To add, Agence France Presse is actively collaborating with Nikon R&D to build in live image authentication into Nikon's cameras.

Pure speculation, this image authentication feature is possibly already being tested in some Z9 cameras in the wild, including these Olympics. It's logical to assume image authentication will be first launched in a Z9 firmware update.

Pertinently to this thread, AFP can least of all afford a scandal of publishing forged press photos crossing it's editorial desk....from the Paris Olympics especially. With Nikon, AFP have publicly announced they're taking the leadership to counter faked images in the media.

Last edited:
I usually go with my first response when looking at an image which is generally "do I like this or not?" I don't really care how they got there. Kind of like the old saying "Is it Memorex or is it real?" If I like it, I don't care one way or the other. Kudos for a good image here.

I agree with @Nimi summary #8 of the context to this impressive photograph by a sports Pro. The guy earned just deserves from investing the years on location to know his subjects, genre and vagaries of the surf etc very well. Kudos to Monsieur Brouillet :D

To add, Agence France Presse is actively collaborating with Nikon R&D to build in live image authentication into Nikon's cameras.

Pure speculation, this image authentication feature is possibly already being tested in some Z9 cameras in the wild, including these Olympics. It's logical to assume image authentication will be first launched in a Z9 firmware update.

Pertinently to this thread, AFP can least of all afford a scandal of publishing forged press photos crossing it's editorial desk....from the Paris Olympics especially. With Nikon, AFP have publicly announced they're taking the leadership to counter faked images in the media.

With Ai on the door step means of authentication may be more a priority than first thought ?

Only an Opinion

I usually go with my first response when looking at an image which is generally "do I like this or not?" I don't really care how they got there. Kind of like the old saying "Is it Memorex or is it real?" If I like it, I don't care one way or the other. Kudos for a good image here.
For myself A photo should communicate - connect with the viewer, tell a story, evoke emotion, be reasonably technically sound, but overall have a WOW factor, I think the shot of Gabriel is all of that.

The good out of all this is its put surfing and the sport on the map big time, that can only be good.

Only an opinion

For myself A photo should communicate - connect with the viewer, tell a story, evoke emotion, be reasonably technically sound, but overall have a WOW factor, I think the shot of Gabriel is all of that.

The good out of all this is its put surfing and the sport on the map big time, that can only be good.

Only an opinion
A good summary, well said.

Reactions: O
Back