Should I be using Adobe Bridge?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You should be able to load those presets into ACR. Perhaps try Googling "loading presets in Photoshop ACR". I have presets in ACR that I have loaded.
So the response on Lightroom Queen was this: Not directly, it of course you can do that indirectly as follows. In Lightroom Classic apply the preset to a raw image, and then write metadata to this file. Open the image in Photoshop (ACR will open) and save the settings as a new preset.

So when someone asks if ACR is the same, no it is not quite but close. These presets are effective and you can synchronize them to other images.

To summarize where I am I recently moved from PC to MAC which required me to completely reorganize my Lightroom catalog earlier this year. I also switched to Z9’s roughly two plus years ago. As the result my inventory of images has greatly expanded.

In addition I have not been completely happy with Lightroom editing tools. I feel I will benefit by much heavier involvement with and understanding of Photoshop.

I have a friend who is an experienced and accomplished high end architectural photographer. He made a number of recommendations on a workflow that makes sense to me. His advice is similar to the system being used by Karen.

I at this point have seen enough of Photoshop and Adobe Bridge training that I feel Adobe Bridge will be the best way to implement the workflow I need. Meanwhile I can continue to work with my Lightroom catalog until I have things set up the way I want so I can continue to function.

I now know what I have to do and can start putting things in motion. I also have people to talk to if I need help.

For a birding trip, I do use LRC, because Bridge would not allow me to scroll through thousands of images vs. LRC I can build 1:1 previews. And that is THE ONLY reason I’m using LRC, To scroll through a larger amount of photos.
If that is all (and I literally mean "that is all") you are using LRC for, then there are cheaper and possibly faster alternatives for scrolling through large amounts of images. FastStone Image Viewer is free and can display up to four images at a time and runs quite quickly (Windows only). And Fast RawViewer is now also able to display up to four images at a time as well. Both are pretty quick. PhotoMechanic is still a favorite among sports shooters, but they are now moving to a subscription model as well.

--Ken

One middle ground you could try from lightroom is to right click and chooses to edit as smart object in photoshop. When in photoshop you can double click on that layer and pick up and alter your lightroom edits but in camera raw instead of lightroom. Another cool trick is to right click that same layer in photoshop and choose new smart object via copy. Now you can independently double click either layer to do different edits, then add a mask to keep or hide different parts. Down the photoshop rabbit hole you go.

A very accomplished photographer friend of mine suggested I use Adobe Bridge to organize my images and workflow.

Do any of you use Bridge? Also where do I go to get training so I know how to use it.

Yes! There are several great tutorials on Youtube. Bridge is a FREE and powerful photo organization tool! I have tried Lightroom, Photo Mechanic, ACDsee, and others and prefer to use Bridge.

I use Faststone (FREE) for culling and DXO Photolab and Photoshop for editing favorite photos. Each photo shoot is simply kept in date/location named folders. Photos are tagged using Bridge and easy to organize and find. I setup various Collections as well such as Birds, Insects, Animals, Plants, People, Family, etc.... Photos are easy to find regardless where you store them.

Looking for all of your Eastern Meadowlark Photos? Just select your Birds Collection and click on the Filters Tab. Select or click on the Eastern Meadowlark box from your list of birds and there you go! Suppose you want only Meadowlark photos shown that you took with your Z8, 500mm pf lens, aperture f/8.0, with 2:3 aspect ratio, landscape orientation, and on a specific date! The Filter pulldown lists various photo stats (from the camera metadata and also your tag words) and the number of photos in each stat. You simply click the box next to what you want to see. Fast and Very powerful! (y)

I have decided to go all in on Bridge.

I just added a high capacity backup drive that should be more than adequate to handle anything I throw at it for the next decade.

I have to do some reading and studying to develop my workflow plan but I think It will be easier to do working through Bridge. I can divide up my files among different drives as needed.

I have decided to go all in on Bridge.

I just added a high capacity backup drive that should be more than adequate to handle anything I throw at it for the next decade.

I have to do some reading and studying to develop my workflow plan but I think It will be easier to do working through Bridge. I can divide up my files among different drives as needed.
Whatever plan you decide upon, I would encourage you to test it out with a handful of test images (i.e. copies of images that you can throw away). Some ideas just do not scale well, and it is generally best to learn that early in the process rather than later when it is much harder to "undo" what was done.

Good luck,

--Ken

Back