Should I be using Adobe Bridge?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you have bridge, you don't need to buy Lightroom unless you do a lot of printing. Lightroom is the most versatile program for printing.

My friend is not a fan of Lightroom he suggests doing more in photoshop because you have better control.

You do not have more control—you have less. Not dissing your fan, but he probably just doesn't like LR and should leave it at that.

Bridge + ACR is basically very much like LR Library module (folders on the left side, just like in Bridge) and the LR Develop module (which is basically ACR under the hood).

In Bridge, you can load any image (or set of images) into ACR, copy your ACR Develop settings from one image to several others, which you also do in LR using the sync button. The controls and dialog boxes are the same all around. (ACR is also in PS, called the Camera Raw filter, and does most of the same.)

On top of that, LR is a full DAM (Digital Asset Manager)—the LR catalog—which is basically a database that holds a record for each of your images, where it sits on your system, all of the EXIF metadata, plus extras like tagging, grading (both numerical and color coded), location tracking (with a full world-wide Map module) and more. All searchable. And this means more and better organization to me.

There is no way that using only Bridge (and he probably also means using ACR) is "more control" that LR. At best, it is equal for someone that doesn't care for the LR DAM functionality.

Chris

PS: I am an avid LR user, but I do keep Bridge and ACR around for instances where they are more than enough. I also sometimes just bypass LR and load the RAW file directly into PS (whether it's already been imported into my LR catalog or not), just because it's what I need at the moment. But my main workflow remains using LR as a home-base and using other tools (Bridge, ACR, PS, third-party plug-ins) as needed. Flexibility.

07. Filtering Images And Creating Collections​

Bridge can filter images to show us just the photos that meet certain criteria. We can view only images with a five star rating. Or only the images shot with a certain lens, or at a certain focal length. Bridge can combine photos into collections that make it easy for us to group related images together. Collections can even group images that are scattered across different folders or even different hard drives. And smart collections in Bridge act like dynamic search results. Smart collections tell Bridge to automatically add any images to the collection if and when they meet the criteria we specify.

See Here at Photoshopessentials.com Site

The above site explains the search functions across different hard drives. I have been adding keywords, collections, etc... in Bridge for a long time. Searches work great! I am not saying Bridge is better than LRC by any means. Just stating what it does. I will drop out now. :)
Didn’t know it could do that…oops. I don’t use it so have never really dug into the details but I thought I remembered seeing the lack of those features in an article somewhere.

After reading this thread I can see the advantages of bridge for initial culling and keywords before lightroom. It is fast and I believe you can use either the embedded jpeg or a rendered raw.

I used only Bridge until I saw Steves video. Now I am 99% on Lightroom Classic. I only use Bridge if I need to look at pictures that I don't want to catalog for example if I plug in an external drive just to see what is there. I originally did not like that you need to catalog pictures, but it turned out to be good think since it does not take much space and make organizing and searching much easier.

I’ve been using Bridge in conjunction with Photoshop for years, primarily as a browser for jpg’s previously processed from RAW. I use Capture One primarily for my RAW processing (although occasionally use Lightroom Classic), and export directly to Photoshop to complete the processing. Bridge is also useful in assigning metadata to the processed jpg’s. I review many of the jpg’s on an iPad and not infrequently decide one needs some additional processing. I find the image on Bridge and open in Photoshop to make the changes. BTW, the reason I avoid Lr is that you cannot use the scroll wheel of the mouse to zoom in/out, and smoothly change control settings. Both Photoshop and Capture One have this feature which significantly improves the usability and efficiency of the interface. In this regard Lightroom’s control interface is primitive, inefficient and not very usable.

I am a Light Room Classic user. I am a birder and shoot for citizen science and I provide images to a number non profits. Key wording and rapid retrieval is critical for me. I also print from LRC print module in a very simple and efficient mode. I also use the map module in LRC and my Z9 built in GPS populates that.

I have not used PS in a number of years and the advances in LRC editing abilities have just made PS not needed for me.

So for me it is all about efficeency and speed.

I’ve been using Bridge in conjunction with Photoshop for years, primarily as a browser for jpg’s previously processed from RAW. I use Capture One primarily for my RAW processing (although occasionally use Lightroom Classic), and export directly to Photoshop to complete the processing. Bridge is also useful in assigning metadata to the processed jpg’s. I review many of the jpg’s on an iPad and not infrequently decide one needs some additional processing. I find the image on Bridge and open in Photoshop to make the changes. BTW, the reason I avoid Lr is that you cannot use the scroll wheel of the mouse to zoom in/out, and smoothly change control settings. Both Photoshop and Capture One have this feature which significantly improves the usability and efficiency of the interface. In this regard Lightroom’s control interface is primitive, inefficient and not very usable.

Actually..... in lightroom classic in the library the scroll wheel runs through the library up or down, but ctrl-scroll wheel increases or decreases the zoom of the thumbnail. In develop scroll wheel moves the image up or down but ctrl- scroll wheel increases or decreases the zoom. A left click or tap of spacebar toggles between the two zoom levels previously set. Combined it is a very fast way to get through a lot of images.

Actually..... in lightroom classic in the library the scroll wheel runs through the library up or down, but ctrl-scroll wheel increases or decreases the zoom of the thumbnail. In develop scroll wheel moves the image up or down but ctrl- scroll wheel increases or decreases the zoom. A left click or tap of spacebar toggles between the two zoom levels previously set. Combined it is a very fast way to get through a lot of images.
It is but by the time I get to LRC I have already culled my images with Photo Mechanic which is far faster when you are wading through a days birding with Z9 in RAW at 20FPS :)

A very accomplished photographer friend of mine suggested I use Adobe Bridge to organize my images and workflow.

Do any of you use Bridge? Also where do I go to get training so I know how to use it.
I use bridge but I feel its more important to first arrange your files.
I use folders with date yyy/mm/dd and then a short description.
bridge is just a simple file manager that for me opens files in photoshop.
photoshop may take longer to learn ...🦘

It is but by the time I get to LRC I have already culled my images with Photo Mechanic which is far faster when you are wading through a days birding with Z9 in RAW at 20FPS :)

The post I was replying to said they wouldn't use lightroom mostly because the scroll wheel wouldn't zoom the image. I was just pointing out that now it does, so they could give it a try if that was a big deal for them.

Back