Should this Z600pf be returned?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks for posting your pictures. Would you mind doing it again with the light at a cross angle so I can see how that compares? there are no camera shops where I live and I don't know anybody with this lens. I didn't even notice the marks until I was out on Sunday morning shooting eagles along the Snake River and the light must have been just right to make is really pop. I'd only used the lens once before, just the day before. I've looked for other pictures of the lens on the internet and they are all taken at angles that it appeared their lenses didn't have these marks at all. I think my lens is taking OK pictures, but I was thinking of resale value. I also expected more perfection for a lens of this price. But maybe many others are the same way. I'd really appreciate it.
Okie Dokie…… This is as good as it gets…. Cut lights off in room. Stood next to window to get oblique/side lighting on lens barrel. The seam is faintly visible. I used an iPhone15 pro so these images have decent resolution for the needed info. The barrel seam does appear more pronounced on your copy when compared to mine. I am always reluctant to give advice to peers due to concerns they will actually take it. And then it doesn’t work out. It’s obvious you are having a bit of angst over this flaw in finish if not assembly of the lens. Every person that responded gave excellent opinions (not advice!) that you should consider in making your decision. You have to be okay with that and live with it. If it were mine….. First, does it perform as designed or is it functionally defective. Second, does the finish quality rise to the level of an annoyance that’s unacceptable. The lens is in all likelihood okay but the cosmetic anomaly is bugging you..😕 As others have commented…..call Nikon or your dealer of purchase. See what they are willing to do. It’s an expensive lens and they may exchange it…. just to make you happy. Never know until you ask.

IMG_0071.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0072.jpeg

If its not finished on the outside, how well did they finish the inside.

Indeed, reasoning is sound. But I will say that looking at my lens casting seam with an aided eye (a magnifying glass) vs. with a camera gives two distinctive views...the picture makes it look much worse. I had to look hard and long to find it after reading this post whereas the picture makes it look like it's a sharp edge that jets out of the lens.

20231226_152608.jpg

Looking on the Nikon site either they photoshop the seam out or don't show that angle in any of the product photos.

Just checked mine. Absolutely not noticeable, without your photos to find that spot, just a hint of that line. No ridge, would never have seen it otherwise. Personally I’d return it. At that price, you deserve the best they can produce, which is way better than what you received.

Mike

I’ve started the process with Nikon. It seems like it’s a multiple day process involving multiple people at Nikon. I’m sure the holidays are impacting things too.

I’ve started the process with Nikon. It seems like it’s a multiple day process involving multiple people at Nikon. I’m sure the holidays are impacting things too.
I think you are being overly sensitive about it, as the seam is barely visible. But I guess there's no harm in exchanging it for a different lens if it bothers you and Nikon allows it.

Let us know if the new lens has a similar seam.

Last edited:
Not on mine either…but it does look like mold flash that just didn’t get trimmed correctly. It’s cosmetic…but for the price paid if it bothers you get it replaced or fixed.

Just got my z600pf f6.3 and noticed there is a seam on the top left and right of the lens. The seam on the right is particularly noticeable. Think this could result in problems in the future where the material pulls apart?

I’m contemplating returning it and requesting a new copy. Purchased direct from Nikon USA.

Has anyone seen this sort of seam before? Think it would be considered a construction defect?
If I were you, I would return it for another copy.

Oliver

If it’s fully functional and within specification, it’s likely that Nikon will deem it acceptable manufacturing variation and dent any claim.

Just got my z600pf f6.3 and noticed there is a seam on the top left and right of the lens. The seam on the right is particularly noticeable. Think this could result in problems in the future where the material pulls apart?

I’m contemplating returning it and requesting a new copy. Purchased direct from Nikon USA.

Has anyone seen this sort of seam before? Think it would be considered a construction defect?
No, return it. I have this lens and that’s a defect

MOLD SEAM JOINT FLASHING

Is your lens a concern ? for myself not based on the little excess flashing i see, but that's only my opinion.

Normally when QC inspection send out its inspectors, it

reveals a variety of causes, mainly the balance of combining the right time, temperature, material quality or grade, or most commonly the molded product being released out out of the mould fractionally to soon often causing flash bleed on release.

You may expect to see this more in cheap low grade low cost high volume production items made by highly cost sensitive unbranded companies.

If you look at lenses a quarter of the price, will you see excess flash variations ?

Nikon being a premium branded product hasn't inspired me with their QC standards for a while now.

Charging a premium price under a premium brand, needs to at least also look the part.

As to your lens, i don't really think the flashing being where it is may be a critical structural zone as its on the outside shell and likely more just a cosmetic thing, Nikon will more likely say its not an issue and rightly so.

Time, temperature, material quality is the foundation of quality mold production outcomes, both must have the right combination to form cleanly and well.

Greed screwing suppliers, the quest for margins all usually show some form of qc issues being they tangible fo comstic. Preventing it especially under a premiume brand is crictical.

Seam Flashing - Example, It was a common problem i experienced when molding large one gallon plastic bottles, there are a variety of cuases, most commonly relasing the component prematurly while the moulded material was still to hot of or soft.

My self i wouldn't be worried if it was my lens, as long as it worked ok.

Only an opinion

On mine there is no discernible joint line. At what Nikon is charging I would not expect imperfections. My recommendation is to call Nikon and request an exchange if you are in anyway concerned about future performance issues or how it looks. Let someone else get a refurbished discount on the lens.

There seems to be one bit missing from this discussion.....what if Nikon says NO. They could argue that it is functionally within specification and that the cosmetics are within acceptable variation and do not impact performance.
So, do you accept it and get on with taking photos? Do you sell it and wait for another one? Do you take your bat and ball and go home and swap to Sony or Canon because you are disgruntled?
One shouldn’t expect that a decision will always go their way.

Since you just got it. Return it immediately. There should be no issues since it is not a 'special order item'. Order a new one. Not that anything is wrong with this lens, but you will always be questioning and wondering...when....
The odds are that you will receive a copy on par with many shown in this thread.

Back