Should you buy a Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

2 days, 2 batteries and 5000 frames (on a 20fps camera) is something I'd hardly call "putting a camera through it's paces".

Other than that, it's the safe, non-conflict opinion: if you have some Nikon glass you still want to use, yes, it's worth buying. Otherwise stick with what you have... Hardly a hot take...

2 days, 2 batteries and 5000 frames (on a 20fps camera) is something I'd hardly call "putting a camera through it's paces".

Other than that, it's the safe, non-conflict opinion: if you have some Nikon glass you still want to use, yes, it's worth buying. Otherwise stick with what you have... Hardly a hot take...

Maybe because that’s actually the reality. None of those cameras has enough of an edge anymore to justify changing system (unlike when the A1 first came out). Playing field is level enough that glass and handling preferences take precedence again. Not a bad thing.

When considered rationally, and by the Pro or hobbyist subject to a budget, these debates always circle back to the optical systems. The main role of "older" cameras is whether the preceding generation of MILC and/or DSLRs can continue alongside the latest purchase, as they can almost certainly work as backup if the lens mount is compatible.

There are several factors with comparing lens systems: diversity and speed for astro, landscape, key wildlife genres, as well as travel, or perhaps studio/events. Thus wide angles and portrait lenses and telephotos. The mix of a carefully selected and well curated F-mount system is going to be added to over the next 2 years. I plan to add Five Z-Nikkors eventually: 14-24, 24-120 f4, 100-400 S and the 2 PF Z telephotos.

The 2 DSLRs will keep shooting as there are small returns and significant losses on trading in 4 wideangles (Zeiss primes and 18-35 G), a unique 58 f1.4G etc, and to sell off a mint 70-200 f2.8E and 500 PF. However, a well used 300 PF has gone and so has the 80-400 G, Basically, after weighing the options it's counter productive to sell the other F-mounts given the work these do.

Maybe because that’s actually the reality. None of those cameras has enough of an edge anymore to justify changing system (unlike when the A1 first came out). Playing field is level enough that glass and handling preferences take precedence again. Not a bad thing.

For me If it would have been a year earlier then YES mainly because I started with D500 and D850 and still had Nikon glass , the Z9 looks a nice camera . If the Z9 + 500mm PF would be a worthwhile improvement over my A1 + 200-600 I may be tempted , if not I'll stick with the A1 and keep saving up for a 600mm f4

"But, I am really hoping for a Z500 ! ( so to speak)" Andrew Lamberson. Couldn't say it better.
The Z9, even with all the FOMO built up around it, is more than I can rationally explain to the wife or even to myself.
The conflict now, in the time of the transition to mirrorless from DSLR, is what to use or get. The Z glass is generally superior to the F glass but long Z glass is still not available or $$$$. I have a Z6ii and a D7500 that generally meet my needs, and would like an improvement over the D7500, but not seeing anything in the Z line that fits that and question if getting a D500 now would be worth it.

but not seeing anything in the Z line that fits that and question if getting a D500 now would be worth it.

depends a huge amount on what you are shooting and budget. the d500 is a great machine, and a huge value, but the fact you say that your current gear generally meets your needs, it's not clear what areas you want your gear to improve on.

T
"But, I am really hoping for a Z500 ! ( so to speak)" Andrew Lamberson. Couldn't say it better.
The Z9, even with all the FOMO built up around it, is more than I can rationally explain to the wife or even to myself.
The conflict now, in the time of the transition to mirrorless from DSLR, is what to use or get. The Z glass is generally superior to the F glass but long Z glass is still not available or $$$$. I have a Z6ii and a D7500 that generally meet my needs, and would like an improvement over the D7500, but not seeing anything in the Z line that fits that and question if getting a D500 now would be worth it.
it depends on what you’re trying to improve and if you’re comfortable buying used. I just recently traded my D500 with about 12K shutter actuations and got a little over $700 for it. I listed it for a week at $1K on FB marketplace but nothing other than a few scammers showed any interest. My guess is good used ones like that could easily be picked up for less than $1K and that would make it worth buying still if you didn’t plan on buying one of the top mirrorless soon. Buying used also means lower depreciation which is something I always consider when buying something as an interim purpose. For me, the Z9 was more than I wanted to spend as well but when I realized it as it does everything I want it to do and I’d be buying another two bodies in the near future that may still not have everything I wanted like blackout free shooting, I was able to justify it (at least to myself 😂). Honestly, had they priced it at the expected $6500, I’d very likely not have bought it. Selling the D7500 and Z6ii and using the funds toward the Z9 would make the purchase around $3500. That’s when you need to consider how much more you will end up spending buying cameras that aren’t exactly what you want.

But a very honest take from an amazing photographer! 😃

That is a good post by Mark Smith. As a Nikon shooter with a D850, D500, D7200, and D800 and f mount glass worth a lot more than those 4 camera bodies, the Z9 makes sense for me. I have my pre-order in and while I know the Z9 won't make me a better photographer, I believe my keeper rate is going up significantly due to the AF system, IBS, and higher frame rate. I'll also be moving into the future of photography, which is mirrorless. Even after I get the Z9 and start acquiring Z glass, I will keep my D850 and D500 bodies.

Tempting for sure, but I'm still enjoying my two D850s very much. Would I like more fps and better AF? Of course, but then, I'm not a pro, so my livelihood doesn't depend on it. Most of my images end up on social media, or as occasional prints, so I'm not sure the $5500 would be the smartest investment for me. Quite honestly, I'd rather spend the money on better glass (comon' Steve!), which might produce better, fewer, sharper images, and would please me more than hundreds more captures of the same subject (more fps). I suppose, at some point, I'll make the transition to mirrorless (eventually, do we really have a choice?), but not now. For the photographic hobbyist (however passionate), is it really essential to have the latest and greatest to create great art? I think not, but what do I know, I'm just a geezer from Buffalo! 🤓

Tempting for sure, but I'm still enjoying my two D850s very much. Would I like more fps and better AF? Of course, but then, I'm not a pro, so my livelihood doesn't depend on it. Most of my images end up on social media, or as occasional prints, so I'm not sure the $5500 would be the smartest investment for me. Quite honestly, I'd rather spend the money on better glass (comon' Steve!), which might produce better, fewer, sharper images, and would please me more than hundreds more captures of the same subject (more fps). I suppose, at some point, I'll make the transition to mirrorless (eventually, do we really have a choice?), but not now. For the photographic hobbyist (however passionate), is it really essential to have the latest and greatest to create great art? I think not, but what do I know, I'm just a geezer from Buffalo! 🤓
You have great cameras but unless you’re willing to spend the money I wouldn’t try a pro level mirrorless camera. It will quickly change your mind.
I faced the same challenge last year as I’m also not a pro however for me I made the investment and also bought a 600F4 which really made the path simpler as I really wanted to invest in the long term.
Now we are spending money on traveling and getting out more. We began the path of buying a 5th wheel for next year which than we will travel weeks to months at a time while I work during the week I can shoot before and after work and on weekends. Spending this kind of money made me realize I do want the best gear I can buy to maximize catching that unique moment. It’s not the right answer for everyone but I do know my D850’s did miss some shots over the years I sure wish I hadn’t.
The good thing is there is no reason to be in a hurry and the big 3 are continuing to raise the bar which sure helps all of us!

I "re-started" photography (began in high school, then quite a hiatus) about 4 years ago with Nikon gear as that is what I had when I was a kid. Bought a D7200 kit, and quickly moved to a D500. Within a year of the D500, I purchased a D850. I initially used a Nikon 200-500 with those two bodies. Picked up a 300mm f/4 PF, and waited for a few months for the 500mm f/5.6 PF. The D500 + 500 PF was my go to kit, especially when traveling. I had some end-user issues I couldn't seem to get over, although my skill sets improved. I decided that the Z9 was a tool that would help me improve. I was late to the pre-order (early January) so will be months before I get my Z9. In the meantime, I bought a Z6ii and the Z 100-400 to help with the transition to MILC. And guess what? Many of the "problems" that I seemed to constantly struggle with the D500/D850 became a non-issue! So now, I can't wait to get the Z9. I intend to sell the D7200 and some of the miscellaneous F glass that I do not frequently use, but will probably keep the D500 and D850 until I finally realize that I am always grabbing one of the Zs and never the Ds, ha.

I will if it ever gets here ... non NPS and ordered late in the day on 10-28. Last I heard next shipments seem to be coming in from Nikon after the Olympics about 2-21or 22 and I have no idea if I will make the cut. In the meantime I found the ergonomics of the Z6II to be frustrating until my battery grip arrived ... installed it and "oh what a releif it is" ... pinky not having a home etc. now it feels like my D850 with it's grip and what I hope the Z9 feels like :) Z6II learning curve was not bad ... I read @Steve Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System Mirrorless edition and bought Matt Granger z camera set up guide videos I discovered on the forum to use as a watch with camera in my lap tool ... so with those and the ? in the menu. I was up and running quickly.

I don't use video, so the primary reason I could see justifying a Z9 is if I was doing tons of BIF and action photography. If you do, then you can fully take advantage of the FPS and the awesome auto focusing system. For the amount I do, my D850's fit the bill. I am still able to achieve successful BIF shots that suit my needs. For that reason, I just see the Z9 as a supercharged D850 that I do no need...yet.

I finally decided to put a Z9, FTZ2 adapter and spare battery on order a few days ago (already have suitable cards and reader). Have come close to cancelling the order every day since placing the order. When the Olympics are over, Nikon can focus on their business rather than the advertising of their oversold Flagship and maybe the world of us (you and me) will again become priority one and cameras will once again start becoming available.
I want to try mirror less. Not interested in also rans or buying "good enough". Also not interested in spending $9K-10K and having to spend even more for all new glass. Z9 makes sense for me if anything does. Time will tell if I have made a wise choice or ...! I feel better now anyway. Thanks for listening! ;)

My d500 for wildlife and z6 for everything else does what I need it to do and my Jeep gets me where I need do go! Most rational comment yet.
The perfect person to give an honest opinion about DSLR versus mirror less. Not trying to put you on the spot. I feel like there is a place in my life for a Z9 and room for the D810 and D850. I really want to explore what people really think of DSLR's and mirror less being able to co-exist in the same universe. ❔

I will if it ever gets here ... non NPS and ordered late in the day on 10-28. Last I heard next shipments seem to be coming in from Nikon after the Olympics about 2-21or 22 and I have no idea if I will make the cut. In the meantime I found the ergonomics of the Z6II to be frustrating until my battery grip arrived ... installed it and "oh what a releif it is" ... pinky not having a home etc. now it feels like my D850 with it's grip and what I hope the Z9 feels like :) Z6II learning curve was not bad ... I read @Steve Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System Mirrorless edition and bought Matt Granger z camera set up guide videos I discovered on the forum to use as a watch with camera in my lap tool ... so with those and the ? in the menu. I was up and running quickly.
I rarely have to shoot video so my D850 bodies are still useful. If the Z8 had come out before the Z9 then I would have preferred that.
The Z9 menu is like taking the D850 and making it more like a Z7 on steroids. (BTW I still prefer the D5/D850 button layout.)
Get the PDF manual from Nikon downloads. https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/589/Z_9.html
You may find the videos from Hudson Henry more useful.
🦘

Back