Shutter counts and new camera purchases

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Okay, I am a convert. I am overly impressed with the little bit of performance that I have experienced with the Z8. I am only 150 pages into Steve's set up guide. Went on a walk with my dog and took some test shots. I used animal detection with the 3D and some of the other area modes. I put my dog in a stay and walked about 200 feet from him and got on the ground before calling him. Every image of him running toward me is in tack sharp focus. I don't even know what I am doing yet! Even more impressive is the low light performance. While going through the menus last night, I shot an image of my dog at 14,400 ISO. I cannot believe how clean it is compared to the D850's images at 6400 ISO. Now I wish I had that low light performance with the bear cubs in the Smokies last month. I am definitely pleased with the Z8.

When it comes to a Z8 or Z9 these are professional quality cameras designed for rigorous daily use. If you provide for a 30 day or whatever it is return period the camera is going to get tested. With the ability to shoot 120 fps JPEG or 20 fps RAW you can shoot a lot of images in just a couple hours. On one of my earlier adventures shooting birds I got heavy handed with the rapid fire and ended up almost completely filling a 165 GB card in about four hours;

None of that concerns me and I would readily buy an "open box" Z8 or Z9.

I don't know how B H and other stores can afford to take these returns without charging a restocking fee.

My new Z8 gets delivered tomorrow. How many of you check the shutter actuations when you first get a new camera? I know B&H and Adorama have 30 day return policies. I am sure they turn around and sell those returns as new cameras. What would you do if there were 2000-3000 actuations (or more) on an allegedly new camera? Just something I was thinking about after checking the shutter counts on the two D850's I was selling to MPB to finance my purchase of the Z8. Is there a way to turn back the number of shutter actuations on a camera?
there is a software utility to reset the actuations.
but at least the Z8 has no shutter to wear out.
I'm more concerned about the instances where the sensor shield deposits crap ... 🦘

there is a software utility to reset the actuations.
but at least the Z8 has no shutter to wear out.
I'm more concerned about the instances where the sensor shield deposits crap ... 🦘

Are you saying someone could set the internal shutter count to zero? I thought it was just resetting the file name back to 0?

Last edited:
My new Z8 gets delivered tomorrow. How many of you check the shutter actuations when you first get a new camera? I know B&H and Adorama have 30 day return policies. I am sure they turn around and sell those returns as new cameras. What would you do if there were 2000-3000 actuations (or more) on an allegedly new camera? Just something I was thinking about after checking the shutter counts on the two D850's I was selling to MPB to finance my purchase of the Z8. Is there a way to turn back the number of shutter actuations on a camera?
IMO, a “new” camera with 2K actuations, with a shutter or not, is not new. I’d return it if I received one. Notably, I bought a Z8 refurb from Nikon this year, and it had only 5 actuations.

I dont know about turning back the shutter count. I can say that when I had a D850 shutter replaced by Nikon, it came back with essentially the same count as when I sent it in.

IMO, “new” camera with 2K actuations, with a shutter or not, is not new. I’d return it if I received one. Notably, I bought a Z8 refurb from Nikon this year, and it had only 5 actuations.

I dont know about turning back the shutter count. I can say that when I had a D850 shutter replaced by Nikon, it came back with essentially the same count as when I sent it in.

Are you saying someone could set the internal shutter count to zero? I thought it was just resetting the file name back to 0?
the file name and shutter count are separate.
you can check your shutter count at shuttercount.com.
Only engineers software can reset the shutter count to zero ... 🦘

I am already having issues with my Z8. No matter how much I try, I cannot get an out of focus image and I can't get my keepers down. ;) ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I don't believe I have ever spent so much time reading a manual, reading Steve's set up guides, or watching informational videos on YouTube for any of my prior cameras. I will be ready to put it to use in the coming days. I am actually happy it has been raining in Illinois. I actually was trying my hand at using the interval option to try to nail some lightning yesterday. I did not see any bolts let alone capture any. I also was taking some practice videos of my dog. I never used the video on my D850's. The lack of focus tracking on those discouraged that effort. From what I have seen on the video subject tracking and area modes, the Z8 works flawlessly. I see what everyone is talking about with the battery life. I have been using the back screen an awful lot going through the menus and just playing. It is sucking up the juice. We'll see how that works out when I go out shooting. So far, I remain very pleased and impressed. I was walking the dog in the park yesterday and there were some guys playing volleyball. Not knowing what I was doing, I set the camera to person subject detection and 3d tracking and I nailed (okay, the Z8 did) focus on the young gentleman jumping and serving the ball. Wow!

Last edited:
I am already having issues with my Z8. No matter how much I try, I cannot get an out of focus image and I can't get my keepers down. ;) ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I don't believe I have ever spent so much time reading a manual, reading Steve's set up guides, or watching informational videos on YouTube for any of my prior cameras. I will be ready to put it to use in the coming days. I am actually happy it has been raining in Illinois. I actually was trying my hand at using the interval option to try to nail some lightning yesterday. I did not see any bolts let alone capture any. I also was taking some practice videos of my dog. I never used the video on my D850's. The lack of focus tracking on those discouraged that effort. From what I have seen on the video subject tracking and area modes, the Z8 works flawlessly. I see what everyone is talking about with the battery life. I have been using the back screen an awful lot going through the menus and just playing. It is sucking up the juice. We'll see how that works out when I go out shooting. So far, I remain very pleased and impressed. I was walking the dog in the park yesterday and there were some guys playing volleyball. Not knowing what I was doing, I set the camera to person subject detection and 3d tracking and I nailed (okay, the Z8 did) focus on the young gentleman jumping and serving the ball. Wow!
Z8 Battery use isn't any worse that most mirrorless cameras.
Although love the battery in the Z9 - its like using a dslr again ... 🦘

Back