Sigma 60-600mm for Nikon is it worth it?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

New to post here and I wanted to see if anyone has had some experience with the Sigma 60-600mm with Nikon (D850 and Z7 in particular) but any experience with it as compared to the Nikon 200-500mm and the Nikon 80-400mm (newest version). Would this be a lens to replace either one of the Nikon lenses or is it really just a lateral move with not real gain?
I have watched a lot of YouTube reviews and most of them seem happy with the performance of the lens. In particular maybe if someone used this lens in Costa Rica as I have a trip there in July and was considering renting the lens for the trip.
Also any experience with using the lens with the Nikon version III 1.4 x teleconverter as well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

New to post here and I wanted to see if anyone has had some experience with the Sigma 60-600mm with Nikon (D850 and Z7 in particular) but any experience with it as compared to the Nikon 200-500mm and the Nikon 80-400mm (newest version). Would this be a lens to replace either one of the Nikon lenses or is it really just a lateral move with not real gain?
I have watched a lot of YouTube reviews and most of them seem happy with the performance of the lens. In particular maybe if someone used this lens in Costa Rica as I have a trip there in July and was considering renting the lens for the trip.
Also any experience with using the lens with the Nikon version III 1.4 x teleconverter as well.
I know absolutely nothing about this lens, but I can tell you that you’d have to use a Sigma TC with it. You match the TC with the lens, not with the camera. A Nikon TC will not work with a third-party lens.

re: Sigma 60-600mm - YouTube reviews and most of them seem happy with the performance of the lens.
I've noticed people love what they own, most having not used anything comparable to compare with.

Nikon 200-500mm and the Nikon 80-400mm - these lenses are proven to be fantastic.

In my opinion, you'd be better off with the Nikon 200-500. Years ago, I tested it with its Sigma and Tamron equivalents, and found the Nikon to have better IQ, color rendering, and more consistent and reliable AF. And, as Squatch noted above, you'd be able to use your Nikon 1.4 TC with it, although keep in mind that the TC would put you at f8, and the AF would be significantly slower. If you plan to shoot birds in flight with this combo, forget it - it's just too slow to be of much good. Otherwise, the TC would pair well with the 200-500.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you'd be better off with the Nikon 200-500. Years ago, I tested it with its Sigma and Tamron equivalents, and found the Nikon to have better IQ, color rendering, and more consistent and reliable AF. And, as Squatch noted above, you'd be able to use your Nikon 1.4 TC with it, although keep in mind that the TC would put you at f8, and the AF would be significantly slower. If you plan to shoot birds in flight with this combo, forget it - it's just too slow to be of much good. Otherwise, the TC would pretty well paired with the 200-500.
Thanks for the reply. Do you still use your 200-500? I took mine to Africa last year and it performed very well. I also had a 500pf and found them to be pretty equal so I returned the PF version. Probably better off waiting for the D850 mirrorless replacement

Thanks for the reply. Do you still use your 200-500? I took mine to Africa last year and it performed very well. I also had a 500pf and found them to be pretty equal so I returned the PF version. Probably better off waiting for the D850 mirrorless replacement
Yes, I use it as my primary "long" lens, and have been very pleased with the results. I find the versatility of a zoom to be advantageous. Aside from the lighter weight and better AF, I didn't see any compelling reason to buy the 500PF. I'm holding out for a 600 f4E. Waiting for a new camera body that hasn't even been announced yet could be a very long wait indeed.

I owned and used the Sigma 60-600 sport and the Nikon 200-500 and used it on the D850 but not on any Z cameras. I have no experience with the Nikon 80-400. First as someone already mentioned you have to use a compatible teleconverter from the lens manufacturer.

The Sigma 60-600 is probably the heaviest of the variable focal length lenses. It is very well built and weather protection is outstanding. I found it better in just about every way than the Nikon 200-500 copy that I had. Being a birder and photographing small birds and birds in flight I seldom used focal lengths other than 600. So when a Nikon 600 f/4E refurbished lens suddenly became available and was on sale from NIKON USA I bought it and the Sigma became surplus and I sold it.

I have now moved to all mirrorless Z9 and Z6II ... Nikon Z100-400 and Nikon Z800pf and Nikon Z1.4 TC. So I have shipped my D850 off to sell and have already sold my 600f/4E. The only f mount glass I kept are a Nikon 50mm and the 500mm pf and the 1.4 III TC and they both work great adapted on my Z9 and Z6II. The 500pf works great on the Z's with our without the TC in fact better than they did on my D850, D500 or D6.

The greater the zoom range the lower thei image quality is going to be. That is why the pro lenses are usually 2 to 1 as with the 14-24mm or 180 to 400mm. Going to 10 to 1 is a convenience that also is going to result in a smaller maximum aperture which will result in poorer autofocus performance and a lens that at 600mm has a maximum aperture of 6.3 is going ot require higher ISO settings.

The Nikon 28-300mm is an excellent lens for what it does with its great zoom range but at focal lengths starting at 100mm it is a f/5.6 lens. This is nonetheless and excellent lens for wildlife videos and I will continue to use it with the Z9 as there is nothing comparable in an S mount at this time.

Yes, I use it as my primary "long" lens, and have been very pleased with the results. I find the versatility of a zoom to be advantageous. Aside from the lighter weight and better AF, I didn't see any compelling reason to buy the 500PF. I'm holding out for a 600 f4E. Waiting for a new camera body that hasn't even been announced yet could be a very long wait indeed.
Yes I seem to have some unusually faith that Nikon will change their ways:) and come out with a new $3K body and will actually make enough of them vs the Z9 cost. Thanks for the info.

I owned and used the Sigma 60-600 sport and the Nikon 200-500 and used it on the D850 but not on any Z cameras. I have no experience with the Nikon 80-400. First as someone already mentioned you have to use a compatible teleconverter from the lens manufacturer.

The Sigma 60-600 is probably the heaviest of the variable focal length lenses. It is very well built and weather protection is outstanding. I found it better in just about every way than the Nikon 200-500 copy that I had. Being a birder and photographing small birds and birds in flight I seldom used focal lengths other than 600. So when a Nikon 600 f/4E refurbished lens suddenly became available and was on sale from NIKON USA I bought it and the Sigma became surplus and I sold it.

I have now moved to all mirrorless Z9 and Z6II ... Nikon Z100-400 and Nikon Z800pf and Nikon Z1.4 TC. So I have shipped my D850 off to sell and have already sold my 600f/4E. The only f mount glass I kept are a Nikon 50mm and the 500mm pf and the 1.4 III TC and they both work great adapted on my Z9 and Z6II. The 500pf works great on the Z's with our without the TC in fact better than they did on my D850, D500 or D6.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any issues tracking birds in flight with the Sigma and did you have Teleconverters for it?
Did you use teleconverters on the 200-500 as well?

I’m sure the image quality of the Sigma 60-600 is more than acceptable when compared with the 200-500 & the 80-400.
My main issue with the Sigma Tele zooms, apart from the zoom ring rotating the “wrong” (Nikon) way, has always been the weight.
The 60-600 is 6lbs (2.7 kg) compared with 5lbs (2 kg) for the 200-500. The 80-400 is 3 1/2lbs (1.5 kg).
As posted elsewhere, the Sigma will not be compatible with the Nikon tc’s. My experience with the TC14E-III with the 200-500 or the 80-400 is less than satisfactory. I doubt that the Sigma tc with the 60-600 will be any better.

I’m sure the image quality of the Sigma 60-600 is more than acceptable when compared with the 200-500 & the 80-400.
My main issue with the Sigma Tele zooms, apart from the zoom ring rotating the “wrong” (Nikon) way, has always been the weight.
The 60-600 is 6lbs (2.7 kg) compared with 5lbs (2 kg) for the 200-500. The 80-400 is 3 1/2lbs (1.5 kg).
As posted elsewhere, the Sigma will not be compatible with the Nikon tc’s. My experience with the TC14E-III with the 200-500 or the 80-400 is less than satisfactory. I doubt that the Sigma tc with the 60-600 will be any better.
Thanks I missed that in your post

In one of his videos Steve said that only his third Nikon 200-500 was sharp. The used one I bought (not from him) must have been one of his first two. It was not sharp and no amount of focus tuning could get it right. I switched to Sigma 150-600 Sport. That lens was super sharp without focus fine tuning and is even better with it. I regurlary shoot surfski with a friend who has the Sigma 60-600. We get similar IQ pictures even though the 150-600 is supposed to have less distortion and more sharness. The 60-600 has the advantage of not having to require one to change lenses in dusty, windy or rainy conditions if you quickly need a wider angle closeup photo. It is also slightly lighter than the 150-600. The superior dust and weather sealing of the Sigma Sport lenses was a factor for me in acquiring that brand. Additionally they can be focus adjusted at 16 combinations of focal length and distance vs one camera based option of focal length and distance for the Nikon 200-500 ( not important for your Z7, possibly important for your D850). I prefer to shoot in DX mode on my D850 rather than using a teleconverter. My friend on an APS-C camera uses a 1.4x teleconverter but frequently struggles with locking focus.

Thanks for the reply. Did you have any issues tracking birds in flight with the Sigma and did you have Teleconverters for it?
Did you use teleconverters on the 200-500 as well?
No it tracked well and no I never had any Sigma Teleconverters. I did use the Nikon AF-S teleconverter TC-14E III with the Nikkor 200-500 and was never very satisfied with the results from my copy. Both the Nikkor lens and the Nikkor teleconverter went back to Nikon for warranty repair 3 times and both worked after the 3rd time. The 200-500 copy I had was not any better than the Sigma 150-600 Sport or the Tamron 150-600 G2 and since they had 600mm Copies I had at that time so I sold the Nikkor 200-500. I did keep the teleconverter and it works great on the Nikkor 500pf.

I've never used that lens but it is one that I'm looking at acquiring, but specifically for video use instead of photography. It's very popular among wildlife filmmakers for the wide reach, and has been used by people shooting for the biggest BBC/NatGeo/Netflix shows. Video is more forgiving for optical deficiencies with 4K only being around 12mp equivalent, but seems highly regarded for both aspects.

My buddy Will (trenchmonkey on fm forums) loves his 60-600. Check out his postings over there. He can manage the weight whereas I know I can't. On the other hand he did just get the 500PF, so maybe the weight is getting to him.

This is Janine from Pangolin Photo Safaris on the Canon version of the 60--600mm, about 30 minute review. Sept 2020 review. Don't how much difference there is between the Canon and Nikon versions.

FWIW I've got a Sigma 150-600 Sport - bought as a kit with the matching 1.4x TC - and I've been very happy with it. Caveat. Im not a wildlife photographer, I'm a jack of all trades and shoot all sorts of genres as the fancy takes me.

My buddy Will (trenchmonkey on fm forums) loves his 60-600. Check out his postings over there. He can manage the weight whereas I know I can't. On the other hand he did just get the 500PF, so maybe the weight is getting to him.
Thanks for the feed back. Would you be willing to share a link to one of trenchmonkey's posts?

This is Janine from Pangolin Photo Safaris on the Canon version of the 60--600mm, about 30 minute review. Sept 2020 review. Don't how much difference there is between the Canon and Nikon versions.
I did watch this one. It was well done and I posted a question to see if she was still using the lens but no reply then again it was a couple of years ago so they may not be monitoring it or Janine may not even be there. Thanks for the reply

I've never used that lens but it is one that I'm looking at acquiring, but specifically for video use instead of photography. It's very popular among wildlife filmmakers for the wide reach, and has been used by people shooting for the biggest BBC/NatGeo/Netflix shows. Video is more forgiving for optical deficiencies with 4K only being around 12mp equivalent, but seems highly regarded for both aspects.
Thanks for the info. I will do some searching on this topic.

I had the 150-600 sport for about 14 months and loved it...but the weight became a problem over time. It was super sharp at 600mm and took the Sigma 1.4TC ok for static subjects. My main issue was the weight, after 12 months of lugging it around I finally bit the bullet and bought the 500mm pf. My back instantly thanked me, my wife ... not so much. The problem with the Sigma is it needs to be on a monopod 95% of the time, at 2.9kg it's not a lens you take with you for a walk in the woods. It's more of a destination lens, like some of Nikons big prime lenses. The 500mm PF is a run and gun lens that gives you more opportunities mainly because you will be more likely to be out in the field with it. Having said all of that some of my favourite images where captured with this 150-600 sport lens, so if you can put up with the weight it might be the lens for you.

Back