So, where are we with tracking? Sony v Nikon v Canon?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've yet to see a solid comparison between the three brands, and I'm not sure why it's so hard to find information about this - perhaps it's simply a very expensive test to do.

I for sure wouldn't be able to afford over £700 in renting gear to do the test myself ☺

Ignoring all things rolling shutter, mega pixels etc., it seems like the latest Sonys and Canons outperform Nikons. It's hard to quantify by how much (as I cannot find a reliable test).

It feels like Nikon requires different modes to acquire and track, whereas the others mostly "just work" (I know they will require workarounds in situations as well, just not as often).

To be clear, I've been a long term Nikon shooter, and I do a tonne of underwater photography, so for me the purpose is dual and I wouldn't take moving ecosystems lightly!

So the question is, has anyone actually done a reasonably objective test of acquisition and tracking from the latest and greatest of the AF systems?

Objective testing requires standardized subjects and testing apparatus, which will require randomized controls of camera operators as one of the key elements in the experimental design. This in turn would entail multiple photographers and cameras, with lens photographing clay pigeons or drones flitting in and out of clutter etc. Until then, cross brand comparisons will continue to have their weaknesses, including attempts by ranking systems eg Mirrorless Comparisons

As a long term Nikonian (4 decades) looking out, there's no point switching ecosystems, to another set of optics, based on the questionable comparisons of finer details of Autofocus performance of this year's lineup of cameras.

The basis for comparison for reliable Action Autofocus has long been the D5 Triumvirate; namely the D5, D850 and D500 have been the available ILCs over the past few years, until superseded by the new D6 AF system in 2020. These deliver remarkable results in capable hands. The D6 Autofocus is significantly superior to any other DSLR, IME.

The Z9 has brought us the high-end Mirrorless features for action, blackout free EVF and higher fps with subject Recognition and more have expanded and improved results. Firmware updates have improved these features eg Custom Area AF modes.

The over arching question for those of us invested in the Greater Nikon Ecosystem is/was when to invest in the Z System for action shooting with silent photography etc; where the MILC gives explicit benefits to action shooting ie improvements over the D5 Triumvirate. This applies especially against the D6, which is still a worthy candidate compared against the Zed MILCs IME. This includes the Z9.

The bigger factor is the glass, especially costs. The combination of Z mount telephotos plus adapted F mount certainly gives the Nikon photographer a major boost for Wildlife and Extreme Sports. This expansion of opportunities is because the Z9 Autofocus - now on FW 3.10 - delivers as well as my D6 in the vast majority of situations. It outperforms the D5 and its siblings.

This has been the litmus test subject to the economic realities. However limitations in my reflexes and fumbled misses undermine the capabilities of both cameras.

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue in getting a reliable test done is that each brand needs a different set-up and a different way of shooting to make the most out of its advanced AF. And very few people are equally knowledgeable in all 3 systems.
‘I have shot all 3, but I wouldn’t say I know Canon and Nikon nearly as well as Sony. So my findings are biased that way. I’ve seen videos where Sony AF fails miserably because the guy is a canon shooter and insists to shoot a Sony like a Canon - that’s guaranteed to fail. And vice-versa.

on this forum, Steve and Armitage are probably the two with the most knowledge across all 3 brands and they agree that once set up well, and the shooting is properly adapted to each brand, the remaining differences are too small to justify one brand preference over another. Then it comes down to the glass available and ergonomics, or additional features.

Yes, there are probably some small differences remaining, and it seems that Nikon is still the one that gets confused by busy backgrounds the most, but even that difference is not meaningful enough to drive brand choice anymore.
‘The other difference is that canon is probably the easiest one to learn - so if you don’t have a pre acquired bias, the canon AF doesnt require as much human intervention to work well. But even that is probably not enough to offset the smaller choice of native lenses.
‘sony on the other hand is so customizable that it can be an amazing blessing, or a complete curse…
‘Nikon offers an amazing lens lineup, and it’s AF is outstanding most of the time…

in short, that’s not the right spec to be sweating over anymore.

Objective testing requires a standardized subjects and testing apparatus, which requires randomized controls of camera operators. This in turn would entail multiple photographers and cameras, with lens photographing clay pigeons or drones flitting in and out of clutter etc. Until then, cross brand comparisons will continue to have their weaknesses, including attempts by ranking systems eg Mirrorless Comparisons

This is going to be a bit of a RANTY one --

And an objective independent tester who has used each body for a long time, set them each up for success AND uses them like a pro would (not a baby who just takes them out of the box, pops in a card and battery, fixes on a lens and just "shoots"), which is the rarest of all.

Of equal importance is that a range of settings and subject types are used -- so not just seagulls at 800m with a 50mm lens - how about using the right lenses for the setting and subject.

As Steve found - I expect the differences are in the margins -- and all those who complain X does not work, or Y is better than Z - however we who use X or Y or Z for a long time -over 1m shots in my case -- find a way to achieve incredible keeper rates -- I don't need every single shot to be in focus -- I don't expect the camera to do all the work -- far from it. Which is why a Pro or serious enthusiast I have had to spend the time to gain the skills and experience to take good shots across a range of circumstances.

Most reviewers seem to believe or at least present their cases as though every decision is binary -- everyone is new to all systems -- everyone has no investment in glass. BUT the vast majority do -- so I do not care if an A1 or A9 or a R3 or R5 have slightly better AF than the bodies I use. Fools swap camera systems without thinking through the whole choice and implications -- I have shot Hasselblad and Nikon for about 40 years - my fingers know where the controls are and the language/menus Nikon uses -- I have tried Sony, Canon, Fuji, OM and others and found I hate them (struggle to use them) my fingers go to the wrong place AND I simply cannot set them up for my use.

NO REVIEWER I have seen is qualified to advise me or I would state ANYONE else. Users should complete their own testing -- but accept that transitioning takes a while - lots of learning and lots of practice/adaption. Let me ask Canon shooters whose gear have this tools that tracks where you are looking -- have you got used to this YET?

As a long term Nikonian (4 decades) looking out, there's no point switching ecosystems, to another set of optics, based on the questionable comparisons of finer details of Autofocus performance of this year's lineup of cameras.
YP

The basis for comparison for reliable Action Autofocus has long been the D5 Triumvirate; namely the D5, D850 and D500 have been the available ILCs over the past few years, until superseded by the new D6 AF system in 2020. These deliver remarkable results in capable hands. The D6 Autofocus is significantly superior to any other DSLR, IME.
Well in some circumstances

The Z9 has brought us the high-end Mirrorless features for action, blackout free EVF and higher fps with subject Recognition and more have expanded and improved results. Firmware updates have improved these features eg Custom Area AF modes.
Yes -- but there is of course still more to be done

The over arching question for those of us invested in the Greater Nikon Ecosystem is/was when to invest in the Z System for action shooting with silent photography etc; where the MILC gives explicit benefits to action shooting ie improvements over the D5 Triumvirate. This applies especially against the D6, which is still a worthy candidate compared against the Zed MILCs IME. This includes the Z9.

The bigger factor is the glass, especially costs. The combination of Z mount telephotos plus adapted F mount certainly gives the Nikon photographer a major boost for Wildlife and Extreme Sports. This expansion of opportunities is because the Z9 Autofocus - now on FW 3.10 - delivers as well as my D6 in the vast majority of situations. It outperforms the D5 and its siblings.
Agreed.

This has been the litmus test subject to the economic realities. However limitations in my reflexes and fumbled misses undermine the capabilities of both cameras.

As noted it is not just the camera bodies -- the lenses are important too -- but more than all of this it is the USER and how they choose to work and learn that matters the most.

As noted it is not just the camera bodies -- the lenses are important too -- but more than all of this it is the USER and how they choose to work and learn that matters the most.
I don't think anyone would argue against the "put a subpar camera in a pros hands and they will produce a better shot".

This is why I wanted to avoid the specs and ecosystem discussion to as I would be willing to sacrifice certain aspects of a nikon system because I'm in it. Just as background, I recently won and underwater competition and placed in the finals for underwater photographer of the year, so I have no qualms that my D500 is an absolute beast.

My reason for raising this thread is that I would like unbiased opinions on all three AF systems, but it doesn't seem to exist. I'm glad I haven't overlooked any info online! I appreciate I'm probably inviting more discussion than resolution, but it's an interesting topic, especially considering FW 3.10 for Nikon.

Ultimately, I want to make use of a mirrorless system's ability to help me focus on composition more, than manually moving an AF point and missing shots. I've graduated from "bird in flight, center of frame, eyes tack sharp, never move AF point", most decent cameras handle this. If I can't use the MILC AF reliably, then I'd rather just stick with my DSLR. But it sounds like Nikon has largely caught up. I get keepers, but I want to *significantly* up that keeper rate.

I'd love to just test all three systems for a week at the local park but that will simply be too costly.

In a recent review of the Z8, Manny Ortiz, a Sony and Canon shooter, opines that the Sony and Canon AF systems are a bit better than that of the Z8's. Further, of the 5,500 baseball and fashion exposures he made during the review, the Z8's AF hit rate was 98%. I feel that this inadvertently summarises the current state of play quite well.

Until someone has designed a robust and objective scientific laboratory methodology for testing this, all discussions are based on subjective factors, not least of which being user skill. All you are going to get here are subjective opinions, coloured by all sorts of personal biases that range from the explicable to the downright fanatical.
Well said! As i tried to summarize above, Objective testing requires standardized subjects and testing apparatus. This is challenging, especially a randomized testing design to control for differences between camera Users , which as we know the 4" behind the camera is one of the key challenges in any experimental design.

Replicated treatments would have to entail multiple photographers and multiple cameras, with matching lens and different settings. It's surely feasible to photograph targets such as clay pigeons to test lock on and tracking, and targets such as drones flitting in and out of clutter etc to test stickiness. It would probably also entail external recording off the the cameras to analyze footage of the stills. The permutations will be complicated and time consuming.

Then a new MILC camera comes out in a few months time, and/or a major firmware revision changes the flagship AF specs in one or more camera system..... This is yet another confounding factor in trying to establish which is the "best" This be a Moving target - puns apart!

As already stated above, if one is obsessed with tyre kicking between brands, there are the reports of the select qualified few who have paid out the prices to learn and test 2 or more systems. This is the best data available such to their skills and personal contexts. However, other factors matter far more in wildlife photography IMHO

Congratulations on your successes in your competitions. As you know the D500 intimately, this bears on what's to look forward to expanding into mirrorless. There's the wider arena of factors, besides DSLR compared to MILC autofocus.

My own experience is the D500 in mid 2016 took my photography fwd a big way from D7200 and trying out a D3 previously. The D500 introduced me to the leverage of hybrid focus setups, and became a standard for my wildlife photography thereafter > D850 > D5 and now D6 and Z9. I bought the Z7 kit a couple of weeks after its launch in 2018, and eventually traded it in mid 2020 for a Used D5.

The FTZ was my key enabler to use 70-200 f2.8E, 400 f2.8E and 500 PF on the Z7, and this system captured many keepers; however, I found the Z7 could never match the D850 for wildlife...... but I still rate the Z7 as the best choice/$$$ for landscape photography and macro :)
Long story short the Z AF worked with high precision on wildlife in many cases until I needed hybrid focus i.e. I couldn't switch with AFMode+AFOn custom settings in clutter eg to toggle AF mode to&fro between Wide Area, Single-Point and AutoAF, for example. Sometimes manual override works but not always.... I grew tired waiting on a firmware patch from Nikon....

With the Z9 launch, Nikon moved beyond this weakness, and added significantly more features into the camera (now in the Z8 too). The hierarchical deep-learning algorithm on which the Subject-Recognition is grounded is a big leap forward. Eye-tracking especially is where I get big returns.

As importantly, if not more so, IME the new HE*RAW files, higher fps with Silent-Shooting, the blackout free EVF have together taken the Nikon Ecosystem a whole ways upward and outwards; And to this we must acknowledge the new Z Lenses. (And i don't do video where there's now a lot more that's new in the Z8/Z9.)

I don't think anyone would argue against the "put a subpar camera in a pros hands and they will produce a better shot".

This is why I wanted to avoid the specs and ecosystem discussion to as I would be willing to sacrifice certain aspects of a nikon system because I'm in it. Just as background, I recently won and underwater competition and placed in the finals for underwater photographer of the year, so I have no qualms that my D500 is an absolute beast.

My reason for raising this thread is that I would like unbiased opinions on all three AF systems, but it doesn't seem to exist. I'm glad I haven't overlooked any info online! I appreciate I'm probably inviting more discussion than resolution, but it's an interesting topic, especially considering FW 3.10 for Nikon.

Ultimately, I want to make use of a mirrorless system's ability to help me focus on composition more, than manually moving an AF point and missing shots. I've graduated from "bird in flight, center of frame, eyes tack sharp, never move AF point", most decent cameras handle this. If I can't use the MILC AF reliably, then I'd rather just stick with my DSLR. But it sounds like Nikon has largely caught up. I get keepers, but I want to *significantly* up that keeper rate.

I'd love to just test all three systems for a week at the local park but that will simply be too costly.

Last edited:
As per my 0.02c parochial experience comparing D5 Triumvariate and D6 AF versus Z9 fw 3.10 autofocus.... Currently, i've no issues with any glitches in the Z9 AF performance, as my hybrid shooting technique I'm far more concerned about the lack of HE* RAW support for Pre-Release Capture than AF quirks :)

To try and summarize, I probably use the hybrid AF technique more on the Z9 than I do on the D6, but this doesn't matter in practice. The AF systems are just different in design, which shapes how one uses them. The FTZ makes switching G and E type F Nikkors basically seamless. IME, this applies particularly to the 70-200 f2.8E, 180-400 TC and 800 f5.6E. The Z telephotos have better custom controls on the lens barrel, including the means to Record&Recall focus position. With the new Z Teleconverters, the 400 f4.5S, 100-400 f4S - 400 f2.8S TC, 600 f4S TC, and 800 PF have radically changed wildlife photography for the better IMHO. Equally, as discussed here in parallel, the new Z S series zooms are proving their worth to outdoor photography.

As per my 0.02c parochial experience comparing D5 Triumvariate and D6 AF versus Z9 fw 3.10 autofocus.... Currently, i've no issues with any glitches in the Z9 AF performance, as my hybrid shooting technique works fine if the Z9 grabs backgrounds.

As for the scope of the current range of Z lenses, my only deficiency is a macro zoom that has the versatility of the venerable 70-180 AFD Nikkor.
{EDITED}

Last edited:
In a recent review of the Z8, Manny Ortiz, a Sony and Canon shooter, opines that the Sony and Canon AF systems are a bit better than that of the Z8's. Further, of the 5,500 baseball and fashion exposures he made during the review, the Z8's AF hit rate was 98%. I feel that this inadvertently summarises the current state of play quite well.
I can see the baseball shots potentially applying to this type of "test" as its action, fast moving, but it is wholly predictable. You know when the pitcher pitches, you know where the batter swings from you know where they're running to/from. Whilst it is a good test, wildlife is often unpredictable (sometimes predictable!) and seeing sticky af on errstic movements I think is a pretty solid test. Fashion photography is one of the types of photography that probably requires very little MILC AF functionality. You're literally directing the action of the subject.
I'd like to think if the wildlife capabilities are solid (provided the human machine learning models are as good as the wildlife ones), then everything else will be a breeze.

I've owned A9/A9II, A1, Z9, R5. I've used the R3 borrowed from Canon CPS. I've used native glass and I've used adapted glass on all three system. All of the glass I've used is relatively high end (600/4 and/or 400/2.8 lenses on R5/R3 and the Sonys) but with Z9 I only used 500PF and Z400 f/4.5 so maybe the 400TC and 600TC would bring a little extra to the table? I don't know. FWIW I owned D500/D850 so know your current AF system very well.

I'm not sure from your post if you are shooting only underwater or some birds as well but I do see some birds on your IG. The reason I bring that up is all my experience is with birds and BIF. I don't know how that would translate to nuances of underwater photography I'm not familiar with.

The big caveat is it is very difficult to do controlled testing of AF performance. I think it is probably a waste of time to even try. For myself, I get new gear and I try it out on my most familiar shooting locations to learn the differences in the system and fine tune my setup. If in season, I always stress test on swallows, if in winter, I'll test on the small fast ducks (buffleheads, hooded mergansers) and any shorebirds in flight I can find.

In your OP you specifically say "tracking". Tracking is only one part of the AF system I take into account when comparing my systems. The other big factor, and probably a bigger factor to me in testing, is acquisition before tracking starts.

Once any of these top systems (A1/9, R3/5, Z9) is actively tracking with OOF background I think they are all on par. I can't really say which one is better, they all do so well that I wouldn't use it as a criteria for choosing a system.

The two areas where I do find a difference between the systems is ease of initial acquisition and getting distracted during tracking when background gets complicated. In my experience Sony has the advantage in both of those categories and that is one of the reasons I've settled on Sony A1 for now....even though I'd rather have Nikon's lens selection. I've owned the Z9 twice now and the reason is that once it got on latest FW and 600TC was available to order I wanted to own it again to see if the FW updates had brought it close enough to A1 that I would consider the switch to Nikon in order to obtain the lenses I desire. In the end it wasn't quite there yet for my subjects so I decided to stick it out with Sony and not make the big swap even though the 600TC is close to a dream lens for me.

As far as ease of initial acquisition taking into account acquiring over busy backgrounds and over distant/oof backgrounds I'd rank the systems as Sony>Canon>Nikon. That same ranking holds if we narrow down to acquisition at distance where subject is fairly small in the frame. I don't want to shoot at that distance but shooting swallows is so much easier if the camera can acquire when they are further out and then track them in to when I do want to fire the shutter. On the other end of the spectrum, the Z9 took much more operator skill to acquire as it would not lock on at distance and therefore I had to lock on when they were much closer and moving through the FOV much quicker.

But I have to say I'm testing this stuff on fringe case subjects to stress test the systems. If it is winter time and I'm shooting buffleheads zipping by low over the water I'd say the systems all perform close enough for acquisition and tracking to not matter at all.

For perched bird eye-af the systems are all good. Canon is the best but only because it recognizes birds when they aren't presenting a field guide pose. But no one wants those shots anyways so I always joke that the Sony and Nikon are better as they teach you when the pose is good and only show the BEAF at that point. If the Sony and Nikon aren't showing BEAF active the body/head position probably sucks anyways.

The last thing I'll say about AF is that another difference in the systems is the available AF modes and the way Tracking AF interacts with them. This is another area where there are IMO important differences between the systems. With Canon there are even substantial differences between how the R5 works and how the R3 and subsequent bodies work (like R6II and R7).
Canon and Nikon have one advantage over Sony in that with the R3 and Z9/Z8 you can do customization of the Canon Zone and the Nikon Wide-Area AF modes. That can be a powerful tool that Sony doesn't have.
However, what Sony does have that the others don't is full control over how the AF modes combine with Tracking and Eye-AF. What I mean by that is you can use any of the Sony AF modes in either a non-tracking or a tracking variant. And you can have Eye-AF turned on or off no matter if in tracking or not. If in non-tracking but BEAF on, it will look for subject/eye only in the defined area....turn tracking on and it then will track that subject over the frame...leave tracking off and it will only find subject eyes in that area and ignore other things. With Canon R3 and onwards if you turn subject detect on then all the modes start to look for subject in the defined area and then track over the frame. The only way to have them confine themselves to the defined area is to turn subject detect off. There is no way like on Sony to have it not track over the frame but still do BEAF. On Nikon you have the Wide Area modes that are most effective with or without subject detect but those can't be turned into tracking all over the frame modes. If you want that you use 3D but that requires you to very accurately target a small square onto your subject. This is why the Z9 handoff method became so popular, using an ideal sized Wide Area to narrow down on your subject and then handing off to 3D or Auto to have it track all over the frame. This is basically what Canon does out of any of its AF modes if subject tracking is turned on and what Sony does if Tracking is on. You just aren't having to hand off to another button to get 3D to take over with those two systems. The Nikon handoff works but is more clunky and complicated. Would be so easy for Nikon to program the system with an option to have the Wide Area modes work both ways. Also would be nice if Canon allowed Subject detect be active but only search the Zone like how it worked on the R5.

I'm going to stop there and step back and just say again that all the systems are top end, they will all get you the shots. Some will prefer one over the other and probably it will be because of other things than AF.

I'll post a 2nd post immediately after this one to prove it doesn't matter what system you choose ;)

Does the camera matter? Or is it all down to the photographer? You be the judge....

Canon R5:

August 21, 2021-6.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

Canon R3:

April 01, 2022-4.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

D500:

April 02, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

D850:

April 12, 2019.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

Z9:

March 26, 2023.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A7RIV:

April 05, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A9:

June 28, 2019.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A9II:

May 22, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A7RV:

April 30, 2023-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A1:

July 11, 2021.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

From what I understand, the only appreciable difference between Sony and Nikon is shooting swallows over a varied and colorful background. Sony is less prone to jump to the background. You also might need to choose which AF mode to use in a given situation on Nikon. As others have noted, AF competency is one of the least important differences among the systems at this point.

From what I understand, the only appreciable difference between Sony and Nikon is shooting swallows over a varied and colorful background. Sony is less prone to jump to the background.

NO - this is FAR too simplistic. A basic user failure to understand and use their tool correctly.

You also might need to choose which AF mode to use in a given situation on Nikon.

This is a BASIC pro-level skill that ANY competent user should display.

Let us understand your scenario -- "shooting swallows over a varied and colorful background" -- well are we talking about tracking ONE or following a small group OR a vast number in a swallow murmuration and how far away of these subjects -- very close or at a distance rather like a landscape - what lenses are being used 600/800mm or wide angle etc...

Obviously the user should choose appropriate AF and shooting settings to capture images of their subject to generate the image they want. This is the JOB. The next job is to track and acquire the subject - the user has to put and keep the target in the part of the frame that matches their composition. This takes skill. Doubly so if the user is seeking to capture a pan shot with a streaked background while the head and body of bird is reasonably sharp and in focus.

Does the camera matter? Or is it all down to the photographer? You be the judge....
Absolutely it's down to the photographer, comes back to the "put a bad body in the hands of a pro".

But ultimately for the money I want the best advantage ☺

You talk about A1 that is actually my first choice (more compact means more travel friendly for underwater). Unfortunately I can't afford the ecosystem - their lens line up for e mounts are shocking and adapted lenses don't work well. However at least canon and Nikon both allow me to buy 2nd hand adapted lenses as full throttle (even better with Nikon as I already have the lenses).

Appreciate your thoughts on this. I'll see if I can rent/trial a z9 or a Z8 and test it for myself!

NO - this is FAR too simplistic. A basic user failure to understand and use their tool correctly.

This is a BASIC pro-level skill that ANY competent user should display.

Let us understand your scenario -- "shooting swallows over a varied and colorful background" -- well are we talking about tracking ONE or following a small group OR a vast number in a swallow murmuration and how far away of these subjects -- very close or at a distance rather like a landscape - what lenses are being used 600/800mm or wide angle etc...

Obviously the user should choose appropriate AF and shooting settings to capture images of their subject to generate the image they want. This is the JOB. The next job is to track and acquire the subject - the user has to put and keep the target in the part of the frame that matches their composition. This takes skill. Doubly so if the user is seeking to capture a pan shot with a streaked background while the head and body of bird is reasonably sharp and in focus.

I’m not sure quite what your point is. I agree with all of that, which is why I said that one shouldn’t get wrapped around the axel when it comes to the competence of AF among the different systems. I used a dismissive tone in responding precisely because the tiny differences in degree are all but meaningless unless your primary subject is as challenging as swallows in flight.

I don't understand. You come to Steve Perry's website.....a well known professional wildlife photographer. He has shot all 3 systems. Sony, Nikon and Canon.....and continues to shoot Nikon and Sony. He has produced a video on this topic based on hours of field use of those 3 systems. What better assessment do you need?

Nikon Z9 vs Sony A1 video

Superb captures of beautiful birds!
These images speak volumes, including the roles of the species of Camera(s), which underlines the small returns on digging too deep (let alone getting fanatical) into the differences between the current systems :D

Canon R5:

August 21, 2021-6.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

Canon R3:

April 01, 2022-4.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

D500:

April 02, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

D850:

April 12, 2019.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

Z9:

March 26, 2023.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A7RIV:

April 05, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A9:

June 28, 2019.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A9II:

May 22, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A7RV:

April 30, 2023-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A1:

July 11, 2021.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

I don't understand. You come to Steve Perry's website.....a well known professional wildlife photographer. He has shot all 3 systems. Sony, Nikon and Canon.....and continues to shoot Nikon and Sony. He has produced a video on this topic based on hours of field use of those 3 systems. What better assessment do you need?

Nikon Z9 vs Sony A1 video
I'm confused, you're stating I am not allowed to ask the community, or you're stating that I shouldn't?

Before posting, I did check first of all to see if Steve had done this comparison with Canon, but I've been unable to find it. Please link me to that post or video.

Back