Soft photos even on tripod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

OK looking at the EXIF data and the histogram, it's appears that you have underexposed the image and as such this could cause the loss of detail that makes your image look soft. The ISO you used appears to be 250 and your histogram is largely to the left. My suggestion would be to make sure you set your ISO to auto or at least increase it so your histogram is more to the right, the old saying, expose to the right.

OK looking at the EXIF data and the histogram, it's appears that you have underexposed the image and as such this could cause the loss of detail that makes your image look soft. The ISO you used appears to be 250 and your histogram is largely to the left. My suggestion would be to make sure you set your ISO to auto or at least increase it so your histogram is more to the right, the old saying, expose to the right.
I'm not sure I fully agree on the underexposure. The area above the beak to the right is already slightly blown out, so more exposure would have made that worse. A left leaning histogram could be because there is a lot of dark shadow area in the image as a whole. Also not sure how that would cause a sharpness problem in any case.

Last edited:
Not sure which tripod you have, but if using a center column, that can add some shake to the camera just due to the instability of center columns. If using a center column, keep it as low as possible.

I'm not sure I fully agree on the overexposure. The area above the beak to the right is already slightly blown out, so more exposure would have made that worse. A left leaning histogram could be because there is a lot of dark shadow area in the image as a whole. Also not sure how that would cause a sharpness problem in any case.
It is either my monitor or yours but the image is very dark on mine and I am unable to see anything remotely close to blown out. Also I didn't say overexposure I did in fact say the opposite. An incorrectly exposed (underexposed or overexposed) image will lack detail giving the impression of a soft image.

Last edited:
I really don't think this has anything to do with whether or not vr was on or off, to me this looks like a number of variables such as inadequate light, the original image is quite dark. Can you provide your exif data such as SS, AP, ISO and any EV if used.? Also is the original that you posted first cropped? How far away from the bird were you?
Yes it was too dark. I needed to make better setting choices.

It is either my monitor or yours but the image is very dark on mine and I am unable to see anything remotely close to blown out. Also I didn't say overexposure I did in fact say the opposite. An incorrectly exposed (underexposed or overexposed) image will lack detail giving the impression of a soft image.
I'm looking at the area of feather above the eye and again a few parts of the neck. When there is detail-less white in an area that should show texture, that part is blown from too high exposure for that area. I agree the shadows could be selectively brought up a bit in post, but more overall exposure would blow out even more of the white feathers. I thought I originally typed underexposure in my reply, but must have mistyped.

Thank you! I am now floating my iso and have seen huge improvements!

Back