Some Exciting News to Share

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I entered my first photography competition last month. I entered four images in the TX state fair and I placed with three of them. Shockingly the one I thought would do best didn’t win anything.

I took a first place, third place and an honorable mention.

They informed me that each catagory I entered had over 3k entries so I’m a little amazed I made the cut.

I’m pretty excited and being someone who got back into photography in 2019 after being out of it since the 90’s I’m pretty proud of how my photography has advanced. All of the images are within the last year.

Special shout out to @Steve for his books, videos and activity on this forum which have had a measurable impact on my photography.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the wisdom you have shared over the years.

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195

Congratulations!

Congratulations!!!
How do you feel about it?
How would it impact your next competition?
Have you figured a clue about your niche that people loved so much, so you can enhance it even further?

Congratulations!!!
How do you feel about it?
How would it impact your next competition?
Have you figured a clue about your niche that people loved so much, so you can enhance it even further?
Good questions. I feel humbled. I’ve been working hard at elevating my photography. I’ve made significant time investments to go to the next level and it appears to be heading in the right direction.

Not sure how it would impact my next competition if there ever is a next. I do this for my enjoyment first and foremost but we will see.

I am anxious to see what won and see if it gives me a feel for what “style” if any was preferred in the categories I entered.

I don’t think people realize how many top notch wildlife photographers live In TX. There is some amazing talent and I’ve met a few of them and hope to meet more. It’s funny my honorable mention was an image I shot in CA off a cliff of two falcons fighting in mid air. I only had about two hours to shoot before I had to head to the airport. I had been there for 5 days working and even though I took a body and my 600 I only got a couple hours of shooting in. The funny part is I met two other guys from my area that had spent all week shooting and were flying back on my flight. It’s a small world for sure!

I entered my first photography competition last month. I entered four images in the TX state fair and I placed with three of them. Shockingly the one I thought would do best didn’t win anything.

They informed me that each catagory I entered had over 3k entries so I’m a little amazed I made the cut.

I’m pretty excited and being someone who got back into photography in 2019 after being out of it since the 90’s I’m pretty proud of how my photography has advanced. All of the images are within the last year.

Special shout out to @Steve for his books, videos and activity on this forum which have had a measurable impact on my photography.

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195
Congratulations! Like everyone else am waiting to see your winners.

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195
Congratulations, looking forward to seeing the pictures

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195
Congratulations! :)

... Shockingly the one I thought would do best didn’t win anything....
I've heard this several times before. Also, people that have to be strong-armed into entering a photo exhibition and winning. Sometimes, we are our own worst/severeist critics.

I used to live in the Piney Woods area and remember that there was a lot of extrememly good talent and competition in the region; So very well done, David. Congratulations!

Congratulations ! Looking forward to seeing your images.

Really happy to see that the Texas Fair still has a robust photography competition.

Sadly our Western Idaho State Fair has gone "artsy "allowing things in a categories for animals non winged like stuffed zebras and a lady dressed up as an African princess with hands resting on the zebras back. It was beautifully shot in a studio. I did the intake and allowed it in since it met the rules. It got first place in the professional non-winged animals.

Many other things with filters, sky replacements composites with different backgrounds started showing up and placing in the various, oddly named, animals winged not raptors and animals winged raptors categories .

So even though I have won many awards there volunteered many hours and have even provided a special award with $ to go with it after having my and others suggestions to have a nature photography category that did not allow stuffed animals, composites etc. not taken I made the decision to withdraw all support and no longer enter.

There was a little late progress they did change judges this year and had 2 excellent and well trained as judges photographers and a 3rd who produced Outdoor Idaho for Idaho Public Television and ran their monthly Outdoor Idaho photography contest for years. So the no photographer judges from last year, a theater set designer, art teacher and graphics artist were gone.

Last edited:

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195
congratulations

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195
Congratulations!

View attachment 68193

View attachment 68194

View attachment 68195
Congratulations.

Here are the pictures that placed.

Flower: 1st place. Shot with a lens baby lens and Sony a1.

flowerWEB.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

3rd place: Birds in TX Owls: Sony a1, Sony 600F4. I was on the fence with this image but a rule is they had to be shot within the last two years so since this one was last year and would be the last time I could enter it I went with it. I believe I had stronger images but happy with a 3rd place. Side note is that tree was destroyed in a storm just a few days after this image was taken.
OwlpairWEB.jpg

Honorable Mention Non TX wildlife: Falcons fighting in mid air. Taken with a Sony a1, Sony 600F4. I had just two hours to shoot before I had to catch a plane. I was on the South CA coast for work and packed a camera but after 5 days of work I was only able to make it out to shoot for a couple of hours. I captured this image during that time.

FalconWEB.jpg

Image that I entered for TX landscape that didn't place but I thought would do better is this one.
TexasBarnWEB.jpg

I have some stronger work in the bird category that I should have entered but when you can only enter one it is more of a challenge. I have to say though for entering 4 and placing with 3 I can't complain.

Back