Sony 300GM

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Example of where I use the 300 + 2x TC: a tiny bird where I can get closer than the 600's MFD

selruf15.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

setpet23.jpg

Examples of where I use the 600, where getting closer is inadvisable or impossible

cinmex23.jpg

siacur11.jpg

siamex92.jpg

sphthy21.jpg

Example of where I use the 300 + 2x TC: a tiny bird where I can get closer than the 600's MFD

Examples of where I use the 600, where getting closer is inadvisable or impossible

Very nice images! Seems like pretty much everyone is getting great results with that 2X TC. It’s hard to believe how far our lenses have came in the last few years.

So I have a question for you guys that already own the 600 GM. Are you planning on keeping both lenses or is this going to be a replacement? This lenses sort of intriguing for me especially because of the weight but I hate to give up the 600 and have to use a tele converter all the time, but it is definitely tempting.

I don't have the 600GM, but I do have the 600TC since I'm a Nikon based shooter (..for now).

I've considered selling the big boy all together because I haven't used it a single time since I got the 300GM.

However, I expect there will be times coming up (especially in fall/winter) where I'll want 840mm, 1200mm, 1680mm - as well as having that one stop light advantage. Since money isn't tight, I think I'll keep both - even if I don't ever use the 600TC again.

I have a 10 day trip to Yellowstone/Tetons coming up where I'll be bringing both lenses, and that should help tell me a bit more about how I want to travel and shoot in the future.

I don't have the 600GM, but I do have the 600TC since I'm a Nikon based shooter (..for now).

I've considered selling the big boy all together because I haven't used it a single time since I got the 300GM.

However, I expect there will be times coming up (especially in fall/winter) where I'll want 840mm, 1200mm, 1680mm - as well as having that one stop light advantage. Since money isn't tight, I think I'll keep both - even if I don't ever use the 600TC again.

I have a 10 day trip to Yellowstone/Tetons coming up where I'll be bringing both lenses, and that should help tell me a bit more about how I want to travel and shoot in the future.
Yeah the weight and size make it tempting as a replacement for me due to injuries. I hardly ever use a TC on my 600GM. I find cropping is just as good with the bare lens to be honest. The space savings in the truck would be very nice as well.

Yeah the weight and size make it tempting as a replacement for me due to injuries. I hardly ever use a TC on my 600GM. I find cropping is just as good with the bare lens to be honest. The space savings in the truck would be very nice as well.

here's an interesting video with comparisons between the 600GM / 300GM + 2x

he's pretty wordy and it's a lengthy video.. some comparison shots are in the intro and outro which is nice. I'd suggest jumping around the video, or maybe just go straight to the conclusion.

TLDR; image quality is very similar, small nod to bokeh on the 600GM, he is impressed that the 300GM + 2x ended up way better than he expected. he says it's a worthwhile trade to save £6000 and size and weight, although there is no substitution if you're looking for 840mm or 1200mm. in his opinion he doesn't find shooting past 600mm worth it, so there's no need to buy a 600GM.

So I have a question for you guys that already own the 600 GM. Are you planning on keeping both lenses or is this going to be a replacement? This lenses sort of intriguing for me especially because of the weight but I hate to give up the 600 and have to use a tele converter all the time, but it is definitely tempting.
I'm keeping mine for now. But I really haven't used it much since getting the 300GM. I think I'm going to be tempted more to go back to the 600GM during the winter as there will be a lot more cloudy days and that 1 stop will make a difference to me. If I go through this winter and still haven't been using it much then I may consider selling it.
The two biggest differentiating features that the 600GM has over the 300GM/2x is AF speed and the 1 stop light gathering. It does have an IQ advantage but I don't feel like it a big driver for me to shoot the 600 over the 300/2x.
I did sell my 400GM before buying the 300GM as I just didn't want that much choice around every day I go out. Right now I have 600GM, 300GM and 100-400GM.
If Sony updates the 400GM to a new version that either takes the TCs as well as the 300GM or has a built-in TC then I could see myself selling both 600/300 and just buying that. When I first bought the 400GM, I had a plan to sell the 600GM if the 400GM/1.4TC/2.0TC was close enough. But I never found the 400GM with either TC (especially not the 2x) to be good enough to be a replacement for 600GM.

Here is an example of field craft, patience, knowing the area, using a blind that has been in place all summer but not used until last weekend. I had several subjects work the area and all summer the area has been maintained to support some birds and promote them wanting to naturally be in the area.
View attachment 97460

Silly question, but how does one leave a blind up all summer (let alone over night)? Is this on private land?

I'm keeping mine for now. But I really haven't used it much since getting the 300GM. I think I'm going to be tempted more to go back to the 600GM during the winter as there will be a lot more cloudy days and that 1 stop will make a difference to me. If I go through this winter and still haven't been using it much then I may consider selling it.
The two biggest differentiating features that the 600GM has over the 300GM/2x is AF speed and the 1 stop light gathering. It does have an IQ advantage but I don't feel like it a big driver for me to shoot the 600 over the 300/2x.
I did sell my 400GM before buying the 300GM as I just didn't want that much choice around every day I go out. Right now I have 600GM, 300GM and 100-400GM.
If Sony updates the 400GM to a new version that either takes the TCs as well as the 300GM or has a built-in TC then I could see myself selling both 600/300 and just buying that. When I first bought the 400GM, I had a plan to sell the 600GM if the 400GM/1.4TC/2.0TC was close enough. But I never found the 400GM with either TC (especially not the 2x) to be good enough to be a replacement for 600GM.
Rumor floating around the 400GM gets an update next year. Since the 600 came out a year after the 400 one could assume a 600 update could follow the year after.

I just came back from a week-long trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I used the 300GM mostly for hiking, but unfortunately, I didn't see much this trip hiking to test it out.

How does one get this close (including eye-level) to an owl at 300mm? The same blind as before?

Asking as a beginner, thx for any guidance.

(And hopefully this is viewed as on-topic because it's regarding interest in the 300GM while I'm here wondering if I need to upgrade from my 500pf to 800pf 😆)
Yup, couple blinds set up where we have seen owl poop. Entered blind while dark and got a few minutes with it. Had success a year ago in a spot about 50 yards from here. It’s not eye level but close. Blind is on a slope of a small hill. I can say I’ve never seen an opportunity like this but I’ve also spent days sitting in a couple of the blinds and never seeing anything.

Back