Sony a1 MK 2 Wish List

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Having tried this feature on the Z9, which currently requires you use jpg, you select the length of time you want to precapture for once you fully press the shutter. If you selected .5 seconds, it’s dumping everything before that .5 second from the buffer, writing the .5 second of images to the card and everything shot afterwards and you can easily shoot for a couple seconds. If you were shooting 20FPS in HE*or at 15fps in lossless RAW, you should be able to keep shooting for an infinite amount of time. I would think 15-20FPS would be sufficient. Given that it the A1 has a larger buffer to compensate for the slower cards, I would think they could also implement it at 15-20fps, even if it required lossy RAW. I would be happy with it at the lower fps for RAW so either they/others don’t think it would be useful at the lower fps or there is another reason like maybe a patent that might be preventing it. Unless I’m missing something it seems like it is technically feasible.

edit: having thought about it a little more, cameras start writing to the card after the first image, so filling .5 seconds of buffer with precapture will have a larger impact that I implied, but it should still be technically feasible at the slower frame rate or HE*/Lossy RAW formats.

Also glad to see concern from others for keeping threads on topic now.
I don't know - I think if it were possible with the current hardware, Nikon and Sony would have done it - especially Nikon since they put the option in already. The thing is, it's easy to assume that we know all we need to about the data stream / management in the camera, but there are likely aspects of its operation we're not privy to that may affect the way something like pre-capture can be implemented.

Last edited:
I don't know - I think if it were possible with the current hardware, Nikon and Sony would have done it - especially Nikon since they put the option in already.

Sometimes I wonder if there are patents etc with some of these things and they just aren't willing to pay to use the technology.

I'm starting to see more and more discussion about the next version of the Sony a1 (the MK 2 version) and I was wondering what kinds of upgrades you would like to see. My list is pretty short (below) since a1 is already mind-blowingly good, but there's always room for improvement. Here's my list (so far)

1. Focus shift shooing / stacking
2. Deeper buffer
3. Maybe change to CF Express type B cards - although I have so much in the type "a" cards I'm on the fence!
4. Better EVF experience - the a1 seems to drop frames sometimes and a smoother experience is better
5. Better LCD monitor
6. 30 FPS Lossless RAW (just because it's cool)
7. Even stickier AF, if that's even possible. (although this is minor - I find the AF in the a1 outstanding as-is)
8. Option for manual focus override on all lenses, not just the big guns.
9. Better weather sealing on the card door.
10. Vertical or articulating tilt screen
11. A shutter shield like Nikon has instead of the more fragile mechanical shutter that I don't use :) )
12. Faster start up time

I also think we'll see a customizable dial in place of the exposure comp dial, although I'd still use it for exp comp :)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple too. What's your list?
It sounds like you want a Z9

It sounds like you want a Z9
LOL, I did borrow a little from what I liked on the Z9 :)

Although, if I made a similar list for the Z9, you would rightly be able to say it looks like I want an a1 :D (And the Z9 list is actually longer)

Ideally, an amalgamation of both cameras works for me (I'm easy to please LOL). And I think it will happen in time if both companies want to stay competitive with each other.

LOL, I did borrow a little from what I liked on the Z9 :)

Although, if I made a similar list for the Z9, you would rightly be able to say it looks like I want an a1 :D (And the Z9 list is actually longer)

Ideally, an amalgamation of both cameras works for me (I'm easy to please LOL). And I think it will happen in time if both companies want to stay competitive with each other.
Id be interested in hearing your current wish list for the next z9 and the R1 too. Obviously in a separate thread.

Id be interested in hearing your current wish list for the next z9 and the R1 too. Obviously in a separate thread.
I actually have a fairly extensive firmware update list of ideas I sent to Nikon. I may post that. It doesn't' cover hardware updates, but I can put that at the end of it.

Where is it posted?
Here:

It's a nice list but it wouldn't be enough to make me upgrade, although pre capture might make it tempting (focus stacking doesn't really effect me). I kind of feel like I'm cheating with the camera as is and it's hard for me to imagine what more it could, significantly, do.

I'm starting to see more and more discussion about the next version of the Sony a1 (the MK 2 version) and I was wondering what kinds of upgrades you would like to see. My list is pretty short (below) since a1 is already mind-blowingly good, but there's always room for improvement. Here's my list (so far)

1. Focus shift shooing / stacking
2. Deeper buffer
3. Maybe change to CF Express type B cards - although I have so much in the type "a" cards I'm on the fence!
4. Better EVF experience - the a1 seems to drop frames sometimes and a smoother experience is better
5. Better LCD monitor
6. 30 FPS Lossless RAW (just because it's cool)
7. Even stickier AF, if that's even possible. (although this is minor - I find the AF in the a1 outstanding as-is)
8. Option for manual focus override on all lenses, not just the big guns.
9. Better weather sealing on the card door.
10. Vertical or articulating tilt screen
11. A shutter shield like Nikon has instead of the more fragile mechanical shutter that I don't use :) )
12. Faster start up time

I also think we'll see a customizable dial in place of the exposure comp dial, although I'd still use it for exp comp :)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple too. What's your list?
Hey Steve - Are you available for consultation - at an hourly rate? I'd be interested to rent your brain for an hour. The topic is: I'm a long-time Nikon, enthusiast shooting almost entirely wildlife. I own a ton of Nikon gear - total spend over $75k - including D850, Z7II, Z9 and lots of Z and F mount glass. My decision point is - should I dump Nikon for wildlife and go with Sony. The idea is keep some Nikon gear for macro and occasional people photography - but get an A1 ad some long glass for wildlife. Right now - I can buy an A1 and 400mmf2.8; 600mm f4 from either Adorama or B&H - in stock. I can't even get a guess on a delivery date for the 400 or 800 i have had on order forever, from my Nikon dealer. I'm retired so every day that goes by without a proper set of lenses for my Z9 - is one less day that i'm able to shoot. I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of this decision - and happy to fairly compensation you for your investment in time. Let me know if this is something you'd consider.

Hey Steve - Are you available for consultation - at an hourly rate? I'd be interested to rent your brain for an hour. The topic is: I'm a long-time Nikon, enthusiast shooting almost entirely wildlife. I own a ton of Nikon gear - total spend over $75k - including D850, Z7II, Z9 and lots of Z and F mount glass. My decision point is - should I dump Nikon for wildlife and go with Sony. The idea is keep some Nikon gear for macro and occasional people photography - but get an A1 ad some long glass for wildlife. Right now - I can buy an A1 and 400mmf2.8; 600mm f4 from either Adorama or B&H - in stock. I can't even get a guess on a delivery date for the 400 or 800 i have had on order forever, from my Nikon dealer. I'm retired so every day that goes by without a proper set of lenses for my Z9 - is one less day that i'm able to shoot. I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of this decision - and happy to fairly compensation you for your investment in time. Let me know if this is something you'd consider.
Exactly what I did a year ago lol

Well the A7RV was just announced with enhanced subject recognition and focus bracketing. I wonder if any of that will trickle down to the A1 with firmware updates (assuming the processor can handle it).

Well the A7RV was just announced with enhanced subject recognition and focus bracketing. I wonder if any of that will trickle down to the A1 with firmware updates (assuming the processor can handle it).

The one feature that got my eye was combining Bird & Animal eye AF in A7r5 . Now that Z9 has announced a major FW update on the day Sony was to announce a7r5 Sony should do a tit for tat & release a FW update tomorrow itself 😄

Back