Sony a9iii and 300 GM Announced - Official Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Any thoughts on the releases?

Personally, I'm impressed with the a9iii. I know it's only 24 MP, but global shutter, 120 FPS in RAW, pre-capture, and probably the best AF on the planet once it's out seems pretty impressive.

I'm also thinking about that 300 2.8. I normally don't go for 300 2.8 lenses, but the size and weight have me reconsidering. It only weighs a few ounces more than the 600PF!

Just watched the Sony announcement of the new Sony A9 mark 3, along with the New GM 300mm f2.8 and the software update on the current A1, all due Spring 2024, and I have to say that the A9iii looks to be a real gamechanger-- Global Shutter reading all pixels simultaneously and with a frame rate of 120 per sec at 14 bit RAW possible, is an amazing leap forward in camera technology and must be a real advantage to wildlife and sports shooters. The new lens looks good too, very light as well, but probably of more interest to the sports photographers in this group.
The A1 update is long overdue, but I rather think the A1 mark 2 will incorporate most of the new technology being presented in this A9iii so better start saving now if you feel like getting the latest in a new flagship camera.

Just watched the Sony announcement of the new Sony A9 mark 3, along with the New GM 300mm f2.8 and the software update on the current A1, all due Spring 2024, and I have to say that the A9iii looks to be a real gamechanger-- Global Shutter reading all pixels simultaneously and with a frame rate of 120 per sec at 14 bit RAW possible, is an amazing leap forward in camera technology and must be a real advantage to wildlife and sports shooters. The new lens looks good too, very light as well, but probably of more interest to the sports photographers in this group.
The A1 update is long overdue, but I rather think the A1 mark 2 will incorporate most of the new technology being presented in this A9iii so better start saving now if you feel like getting the latest in a new flagship camera.
Rose and I were thinking the same thing about the a1ii. I wonder if we'll see a 51MP global shutter :)

If the price and weight I heard for the 300mm f2.8 are right then wowza... 300mm f2.8 at 1.5kg and 6k $ that can be a 420mm f4 or a 600mm f5.6 with the TCs is nothing short of spectacular and if it holds up optically, might swing people from Nikon's 400mm f4.5 and 600mm f6.3...
That's whatI was thinking as well, although historically TCs often cause a bit more AF inconsistency than native focal lengths. Still, the size and weight are really impressive and I can see myself getting one.

i'm curious what this means for flash users? i've heard GS is supposedly the holy grail for flash since you can basically do anything and it should work, but i'm curious about this from a practical perspective. i've only started to play with flash, but i went up to 1/4000s with hss on the z9 without any issues, so i'm curious what GS can do that other cameras cannot?

In part, this release is probably timed for the Paris Olympics next year. CaNikon could also have their respective announcements pending. Hopefully, the precapture RAW ignites the squib under Nikon for an overdue firmware fix (!?)

300 f2.8 has been popular for sports photography since the 1970s. I used the 300 f2.8G VRII Nikkor for wildlife, which renders beautiful images. (this was prior to a 400 f2.8E.) Even on the D500, I found the 300 usually required a TC2 III, and I rarely used a TC14, let alone the native 300mm: for birds especially.

In part, this release is probably timed for the Paris Olympics next year. CaNikon could also have their respective announcements pending. Hopefully, the precapture RAW ignites the squib under Nikon for an overdue firmware fix (!?)
not trying to make this about nikon, but i'm pretty sure the inclusion of content authenticity in the a1 by march will mean we'll see that in the z9 by march as well. nikon was one of the first that committed to it

less clear about pre-capture raw because we really don't know if the z9 has the horsepower to process it

i'm curious what this means for flash users? i've heard GS is supposedly the holy grail for flash since you can basically do anything and it should work, but i'm curious about this from a practical perspective. i've only started to play with flash, but i went up to 1/4000s with hss on the z9 without any issues, so i'm curious what GS can do that other cameras cannot?
The difference is range. With the current high speed sync, the flat basically pops off throughout the exposure to compensate for the sensor scan. It works, but it limits the range. If you want the full range of the flash, you have to stick with the standard sync speed or lower.

With global shutter, the flash can work normally at any speed and give you its full range. I might start thinking about fill flash again!

I'm no expert on this but I think you have been lucky. This past weekend actually on the Z8 I was experimenting and was getting noticeable banding with HSS at about 1/400 and higher. I was trying to use 1/800 or 1/1000 but the banding was too significant. This prompted me to do an internet search because I'd wondered if with the high readout speed of the Z9 it shouldn't be a problem but it seems that there are a lot of people out there discussing their disappointment with the banding they get on the Z9 with hss.

The only possible caveat is that I have seen some people report that it only occurs with an on camera flash and not with a flash placed elsewhere, but I haven't been able to verify if this is generally true.

I will say that I noticed the banding most on lighter backgrounds, but I didn't look too closely so it may be there on darker ones, too.

I'm no expert on this but I think you have been lucky. This past weekend actually on the Z8 I was experimenting and was getting noticeable banding with HSS at about 1/400 and higher. I was trying to use 1/800 or 1/1000 but the banding was too significant. This prompted me to do an internet search because I'd wondered if with the high readout speed of the Z9 it shouldn't be a problem but it seems that there are a lot of people out there discussing their disappointment with the banding they get on the Z9 with hss.

The only possible caveat is that I have seen some people report that it only occurs with an on camera flash and not with a flash placed elsewhere, but I haven't been able to verify if this is generally true.

I will say that I noticed the banding most on lighter backgrounds, but I didn't look too closely so it may be there on darker ones, too.
interesting. i'll try not to take this thread off course, but will point to my flash experiment thread

subject to details in the footnotes....active dpr thread:

"....I've been reading the footnotes in Sony's pre-release literature, and there are a lot of them. Flash Sync for external flash is 1/500. Maximum continuous shutter speed is 1/16000 of second (slower than a Z8/Z9). The raw buffer is 192 frames, so pre-release capture is a little tricky at 120 fps ;~)...."

not trying to make this about nikon, but i'm pretty sure the inclusion of content authenticity in the a1 by march will mean we'll see that in the z9 by march as well. nikon was one of the first that committed to it

less clear about pre-capture raw because we really don't know if the z9 has the horsepower to process it
Yes, as you say I guess it boils down to how much more functionality can be squeezed out of the existing hardware: Z9 and Z8

I haven't watched the video, but a 300 f2.8 that weighs just over three pounds is amazing. (I am also impressed by the light weight of Sony's 70-200 version 2). Canon has a 100-300 f2.8 which adds the versatility of a zoom, but a lot of us are not willing to carry a lens that weighs over five pounds. Nikon has nothing in the 300 2.8 range (in mirrorless).

Very detailed specifications....

It is clear stacked sensor technology has advanced to the next level, although there will be the arcane details in certain conditions with the ILC maxed out at highest frame rates and capture speeds on restrictions and image formats etc. Overall, these latest advances confer even more benefits to all the action genres in photography, as to what, where and how images can be captured.

For me personally the 24mp sensor is a non starter right out of the gate and the price is absolutely insane! It makes me think the A1ii will be $8k lol. With this camera even with the 600/1.4tc combo 24mp leaves little room for cropping. IMO it should have at least been 40mp and came in around $4k

Back