Steve Perry's review of the Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pacific1976

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Anyone have any information of the long-awaited review of the Nikon Z9 by Steve Perry? Has there ever been a more wanted review? Has Steve ever taken this long to post his video review of a new Nikon?

Anyone have any information of the long-awaited review of the Nikon Z9 by Steve Perry? Has there ever been a more wanted review? Has Steve ever taken this long to post his video review of a new Nikon?
He's added Z9 focus stuff to his mirrorless book. And he recently sent a note that his full users manual book for the Z9 is coming, soon.

I know how agonizing it is to want to buy but want to wait for reviews from people you know you can trust. While waiting you might check out dpreview.com. They are objective and I think fair.

It's coming, probably in Sept. I've had workshops all summer and no time for long videos like that. Also, I've added something like 120 pages to the AF book (mostly for the Z9) and the Z9 Setup guide I've been working on is over 300 pages. It's a lot of work and haven't given me much time for reviews.

That, and at this point I'm actually surprised anyone still wants a review. There's a LOT of them out there! TBH I'm a little worried that I'll spend 50+ hours putting it together and it won't get that many views. Review videos are a losing proposition for me because of how I do them, so I have a tendency to put the off. For the time it takes for a single review video, I can put out two or three normal videos and, collectively, have a lot more views.

It's coming, probably in Sept. I've had workshops all summer and no time for long videos like that. Also, I've added something like 120 pages to the AF book (mostly for the Z9) and the Z9 Setup guide I've been working on is over 300 pages. It's a lot of work and haven't given me much time for reviews.

That, and at this point I'm actually surprised anyone still wants a review. There's a LOT of them out there! TBH I'm a little worried that I'll spend 50+ hours putting it together and it won't get that many views. Review videos are a losing proposition for me because of how I do them, so I have a tendency to put the off. For the time it takes for a single review video, I can put out two or three normal videos and, collectively, have a lot more views.
That makes a lot of sense. Sure it would be nice to see a review from you, but given the delay I think your time would be best spent on other projects. Maybe a review if Nikon comes out with another "earth shattering" firmware upgrade. :)

My "Z9 review from today" in Aviemore Scotland -- t'was a dark and drizzly morn, n the wee bitie things were oot in vast numbers as wa wandered doon to the fishery nd the hides well before the sun showed its face above the mountains. Osprey were our target and hour upon hour Osprey there were none to be seen. But all of a sudden the radio cracked and oor spotter was heard to cry The Bigun is circling the fishery - clockwise around and around he went patrolling his patch his ground his regime. The laird of the skies none were allowed to be close. Around and Around he went and then the cry "he's diving" and with a mighty splash we saw him disappear only to reemerge in moments almost bouncing oot of the pond with a vast Trout in his claws, but back down he went again; more work to improve his grip and around he turned into the light breeze and up and away again this time to depart with breakfast for himself and his family. 8 hours one dive and one success. 3 seconds and the Z9 caught every shot once the operator put it on target and started to shoot. At that moment the clouds eased but still a bit dark, but see for yourself.

One chance - one ~3 second burst at 20 fps - 60 shots almost all in focus (yes a couple grabbed water droplets while the bird was submerged) - lead to 15 shots with good wing position -- see album

Short video from the 60 shots

All shots were taken with a Z9 and Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S-line lens and a tripod with Acratech long lens head. F/4.0 a/1600th, exposure bias at 0 EV and auto-iso set iso levels between 450-900. Images processed with DxO Pure Raw 2 Deep Prime, tones adjusted in LRC and cleaned using Topaz DeNoise AI - standard AI settings. No cropping or additional sharpening was applied to these images.

Last edited:

I really appreciate how you look at your time, the value of your time, and running a successful business. So many don't do this which is why the content on YouTube for example is average at best. I think that is why you have a unique following when compared to many YouTube channels who are more turn and burn mentality.

They post a video about some new gear on the same day that dozens of other channels do. Often they have little to no time to actually learn that gear, actually use it for subjects/situations that the gear was intended to be used and the quality of their opinion is diluted by those of us who recognize the error in their reviews and quick to make judgments on equipment.

When first considering moving into big glass such as a 600 or 400GM there is little to no content on YouTube worth watching. Patrick Murphy Racey has the really only video of any substance and that is comparing the different lenses, their use case and what you should expect. The launch date videos of YouTubers out of their depth shooting soccer or seagulls in NJ and actually think they are doing a service to their viewers. It is pretty sad. Or one of the big hair guys going to a PA zoo and claiming to do a review for wildlife photographers. Or how about the grey haired fellow and his wife in CT who took the a1 out and said it couldn't focus on a bird.🤦‍♂️

My point is while your videos of a review after using the gear for a while is informative, based on facts and real world use and in my opinion brings a subject matter expert quality to your content. While it may not achieve as many views as other videos or less than other reviewers but it is very valuable and I believe one of the reasons you have such a respect from your fanbase.

I will say this however is that now that you have your own forum with likely your largest base here a simple thread that is interactive is likely just as efficient as getting the information out but with less time. However you can't monetize it which is an issue.

It is a tough call but from one of your loyal fans please take the high road even if there is less monetary gain and be the expert that we all hang on every word. I would be more than happy to subscribe to your YouTube channel to show support just like I do here which is the only forum I have ever paid for and I believe I am the one who started a thread on here at the beginning asking for a way to support you.

PS I won't be buying a Z9 and I already had 2 a1's when your review came out however I still found a lot of value in that video and enjoyed it. I will watch your Z9 video if you make it as I like to be informed, I read threads on here of gear I would likely never own for the same reason. I am often asked by people about this or that and having a well rounded knowledge even if it isn't first hand is helpful. Knowing that I can help people by referring them to your forum and YouTube channel and all your books is comforting.

As always thanks again for everything you do for each of us!

Steve cant believe you have some trepidation that your Z9 review "wont get many views" or that u r "surprised anyone wants it" ....prediction it will be your most successful review and guide to date.....get er done
Exactly. Don't be surprised if all the gear junkies will be all over it, clicking and commenting. This will especially include those who already own a Z9.

TH only put out his D5 review almost 18+ months after its announcement, although he was quicker with his Z9 Review. The D5 review was no less relevant IME as it was also to those who could not afford a new D5 in 2016.

Last edited:

Go with your gut, and experience, Steve. Your preliminary review of the Z9, along with the many reviews from others, seems all that anyone should need to decide on buying (or not) this camera body, IMHO. Frankly, I’d rather see you spend time on the shorter videos, like your recent 10 Traits one (and maybe one on wildlife flash photography 😁). Geesh, folks, let’s give our favorite wildlife photography educator a little break!

Steve cant believe you have some trepidation that your Z9 review "wont get many views" or that u r "surprised anyone wants it" ....prediction it will be your most successful review and guide to date.....get er done
No worries, I'll still do it - there are just too many people asking. It's worth it to just put it out there so I don't get e-mails about it every day :)

Go with your gut, and experience, Steve. Your preliminary review of the Z9, along with the many reviews from others, seems all that anyone should need to decide on buying (or not) this camera body, IMHO. Frankly, I’d rather see you spend time on the shorter videos, like your recent 10 Traits one (and maybe one on wildlife flash photography 😁). Geesh, folks, let’s give our favorite wildlife photography educator a little break!
I too would prefer to do a few shorter vids instead of the review, but the constant e-mails asking for it make it easier in the long term to just get it done :)

No worries, I'll still do it - there are just too many people asking. It's worth it to just put it out there so I don't get e-mails about it every day :)
I think something as simple as 'long term review' could pique interest because it would give it a reason to exist now and it would instanty stand out from all the 'I've had the z9 for 10 day' reviews that came out early on. I know all your reviews are long term reviews but having it in the title might be useful?

I think something as simple as 'long term review' could pique interest because it would give it a reason to exist now and it would instanty stand out from all the 'I've had the z9 for 10 day' reviews that came out early on. I know all your reviews are long term reviews but having it in the title might be useful?
That's a great idea and might add some views - thanks!

I agree. The Z9 has been out long enough that there are enough reviews out there to make informed decision on whether the Z9 is the right camera for me. It probably took me 10 minutes to figure that out. But for those of us who already have one, there's not many sources where you can go to and find out everything you need to know about the camera. I'm really looking forward to your book coming out even though I'll have had the Z9 for 9 months. I'm still certain that your book is going to provide new revelations in how to use my camera.

99.9% of what passes for "reviews" of photographic products are rushed out, and much of the content parrots spec-sheets and similar recycled information. Some are not independent of the manufacturers' influences. Such be the notorious talking-head zone....

Then there are those reviews that stand apart. A solid in-depth review takes time to compile, and is directly proportional to the reviewer's time invested in using the product in different contexts etc, even different continents. Some of the recently released cameras present an intriguing timeline to explore and dissect.

In the case of the Z9, the state of the copies released in Dec/Jan differ from those shipping in the past month i.e since FW 2.0 and 2.1. The D6 is also similar in that FW 1.20 also changed and improved the autofocus, and tweaked the RSF - adding RSF [Hold]

Like others have noted…yours really isn't a 'review' as much as a 'how to get the most out of this camera' video. Still though…with the hours you'll spend on it and your knowledge of how past videos of a similar sort have done…whether you do it or not is up to you as it isn't paying any bills. Shorter videos on your site might not be paying the bills either but more exposure/audience helps sell books and workshops…and while I have never researched how YouTube videos make people money to any extent I imagine the shorter videos there do bring in some cash for ya.

Like many…I'm eagerly awaiting the Z9 book and I'm quite sure that a video review done in your style would give me some tips as well.

I too would prefer to do a few shorter vids instead of the review, but the constant e-mails asking for it make it easier in the long term to just get it done :)
Maybe instead of a detailed Z9 review you intersperse some shorter ones…that way you don't spend any more time on one of them than a normal length shorter video but cover a section in detail. Shooting banks one time, AF area modes the next time…and narrowing the focus along with your normal 'this is why I do things this way and why I don't do them this other way" review comments you sort of answer the emails you get while keeping the shorter videos you prefer to do as more common. Your normal review covers…everything is the word I'm looking for…but realistically a lot of things you include because that's the way you do them aren't really necessary. Too much detail on how many buttons it has and how good the weather sealing is…well, all of that has been covered pretty well by the quick hit day of release reviews…but a more nuanced evaluation of new firmware releases and delving into AF area modes and the like are bread and butter. One thing I got out of the video (not yours but it was mentioned here and I attended) last week was the difference on what was focused on in Wide modes versus Dynamic modes (i.e., closest vs color patterns) and why one would use one or the other in a particular situation…but that video was specifically directed at AF area modes with just a touch on other things.

I dunno…you gotta pay the bills of course and there's only so many hours to go around since you've got a family, kids, dogs/cats, a social life, etc… you have to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze and not waste…not the right word, prioritize is better I guess…time on low return things. Of course…more videos means more views and that builds brand and all that is good…so there's a tradeoff to be made there maybe.

Back