Steve Perry's review of the Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I agree. The Z9 has been out long enough that there are enough reviews out there to make informed decision on whether the Z9 is the right camera for me. It probably took me 10 minutes to figure that out. But for those of us who already have one, there's not many sources where you can go to and find out everything you need to know about the camera. I'm really looking forward to your book coming out even though I'll have had the Z9 for 9 months. I'm still certain that your book is going to provide new revelations in how to use my camera.
Thanks - that's why I've made the book a priority over the review. I feel like it's way more useful :)

Z9 Setup guide I've been working on is over 300 pages.
That’s one I am looking forward to. Have been playing and trying different setups, but wonder how more experienced photographers setup the Z9 for different circumstances.

At home I can practice on Birds and some deer, but subjects can differ when traveling. Notes from others that the AF can be hit or mis for different African animals. Guess I will find out in a month or so

99.9% of what passes for "reviews" of photographic products are rushed out, and much of the content parrots spec-sheets and similar recycled information. Some are not independent of the manufacturers' influences. Such be the notorious talking-head zone....

Then there are those reviews that stand apart. A solid in-depth review takes time to compile, and is directly proportional to the reviewer's time invested in using the product in different contexts etc, even different continents. Some of the recently released cameras present an intriguing timeline to explore and dissect.

In the case of the Z9, the state of the copies released in Dec/Jan differ from those shipping in the past month i.e since FW 2.0 and 2.1. The D6 is also similar in that FW 1.20 also changed and improved the autofocus, and tweaked the RSF - adding RSF [Hold]
That's very true - and my review will be based on 2.1 - and I'll put a note about that in the title for it too.

Maybe instead of a detailed Z9 review you intersperse some shorter ones…that way you don't spend any more time on one of them than a normal length shorter video but cover a section in detail. Shooting banks one time, AF area modes the next time…and narrowing the focus along with your normal 'this is why I do things this way and why I don't do them this other way" review comments you sort of answer the emails you get while keeping the shorter videos you prefer to do as more common. Your normal review covers…everything is the word I'm looking for…but realistically a lot of things you include because that's the way you do them aren't really necessary. Too much detail on how many buttons it has and how good the weather sealing is…well, all of that has been covered pretty well by the quick hit day of release reviews…but a more nuanced evaluation of new firmware releases and delving into AF area modes and the like are bread and butter. One thing I got out of the video (not yours but it was mentioned here and I attended) last week was the difference on what was focused on in Wide modes versus Dynamic modes (i.e., closest vs color patterns) and why one would use one or the other in a particular situation…but that video was specifically directed at AF area modes with just a touch on other things.

I dunno…you gotta pay the bills of course and there's only so many hours to go around since you've got a family, kids, dogs/cats, a social life, etc… you have to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze and not waste…not the right word, prioritize is better I guess…time on low return things. Of course…more videos means more views and that builds brand and all that is good…so there's a tradeoff to be made there maybe.

I'd thought about that - not just for the Z9, but for other reviews. However, if I release a bunch of short videos all about the Z9, then people who follow my channel and don't have a Z9 will complain that all I talk about is the Z9. I have to be very careful with my video topics and when they are released. I have multiple Z9 / Nikon gear vides in mind, but I'll intersperse them with other topics.

I'd thought about that - not just for the Z9, but for other reviews. However, if I release a bunch of short videos all about the Z9, then people who follow my channel and don't have a Z9 will complain that all I talk about is the Z9. I have to be very careful with my video topics and when they are released. I have multiple Z9 / Nikon gear vides in mind, but I'll intersperse them with other topics.
You’re right. I’ve given up watching several that I thought highly of notbjust because they’re Z9 focussed but also go on about the Z 400mm f2.8
a camera I’ll never need and I lens I’ll never afford!

I would be most interested in seeing just how well the Z9 AF behaves in the field (for your work) as compared to the high-end Sony bodies you have. Not as camera warfare fuel, but as a way to understand just how far Nikon (I have been told) closed the gap or set the bar vis a vis MILC autofocus systems and system responsiveness. They were behind the game for so long, and then I am told truly became a competitor.

After all, everybody will want to know what the Z9 II needs to bring to the table... ;-)

It's coming, probably in Sept. I've had workshops all summer and no time for long videos like that. Also, I've added something like 120 pages to the AF book (mostly for the Z9) and the Z9 Setup guide I've been working on is over 300 pages. It's a lot of work and haven't given me much time for reviews.

That, and at this point I'm actually surprised anyone still wants a review. There's a LOT of them out there! TBH I'm a little worried that I'll spend 50+ hours putting it together and it won't get that many views. Review videos are a losing proposition for me because of how I do them, so I have a tendency to put the off. For the time it takes for a single review video, I can put out two or three normal videos and, collectively, have a lot more views.
The book will be welcome once I buy the camera, but I don't buy until I see your review. Too much money if it is not the one, is the autofocus up to the competition or should I just wait for the next generation. Thanks, knowing it is coming next month is sufficient for me.

Yep…would not recommend a half dozen Z9 only ones in a row…but 1 out of 3 or 2 out of 5 shorter focused shorter ones would be largely the same to me as a longer Z9 one…and much more digestible In littler chunks.

You’re right. I’ve given up watching several that I thought highly of notbjust because they’re Z9 focussed but also go on about the Z 400mm f2.8
a camera I’ll never need and I lens I’ll never afford!
Yep…a 14K lens just isn’t worth it for me as an amateur…and realistically even the 800PF is probably more than I would be willing to spend given my use case…so I pretty much ignore those reviews other than curiosity. It isn’t a can’t afford it thing…it’s a bang for the buck and how much would I use it actually and a do I want to carry it thing.

That's very true - and my review will be based on 2.1 - and I'll put a note about that in the title for it too.
For me the firmware 2.0 and 2.1 updates made a significant improvement in the AF performance and with that in mind I'm glad you have not rushed out an early review. A review now would give a much better idea of what the camera is capable of.

Fyi
A recently published review of the Z9 slrlounge.com/nikon-z9-review
Really all that needs to be said is "So, after 6 months we believe purchasing a Z9 was incredibly good value." And I agree. They were hunting for 2 cons -- a) battery life shorter than on a D5/D6 -- well an EVF and real LCD do both use power but the biggest drain on the even higher capacity battery EN-EL18D is number of shots and snipping (looking at shots) afterwards -- both of which can be controlled and YES do buy an extra battery or 2 -- I travel with 2 spare for each Z9 body. Then b) Bigger and heavier than rival cameras - well this is directly tied to a) the HEAVY En-EL18D and grip is what makes it heavy -- as noted it is much lighter than predecessor flagship bodies AND you do not need to walk around with a pocket full of batteries - that is 3-4 EN-EL15 for 1 EN-EL18D. As to the rest the review is good and solid findings. My only issue is the clickbait title of the piece. But not out of normal for the SLRLounge.

@Steve -- personally I consider another "review" would be pointless at this time, particularly comparison reviews X vs Y - there is enough of that already. BUT - genuine guidance and experience for the field. How to overcome challenging situations -- how to plan and prepare (settings), how to practice and then what a working professional does in the field to adapt to what occurs.
I greatly enjoyed you 10 traits video -- because if I only do a few of them adequately I seem to achieve "good enough for me" results. The first trait for me is to learn, try to apply and practice what others have learnt to do. Practice in the field when costs of travel are cheap and then be ready for the expensive trips when you just have to be ready to get it right first time and be ready to adapt instantly if what you are doing is not quite optimal -- no fumbling about - Know that your Fn1 button does this, Fn2 does that etc....
A series of videos about how to apply the 10 traits while using a Z9 would be a very important gift to the community. [AND these can encompass any other cameras that emerge along the way]

I think people that actually major on wildlife (and lots of us look to for good reason like Steve and Mark Smith) have covered/spoken about the critical functionality we need to know about already and have done so with a good degree of diplomacy. Even the big time generic influencers that attract a lot of hate haven't been that far off the mark. I've been using a Z9 almost every day for 5 months and have found that what's been said about critical requirements for wildlife (by Steve and Mark) is right on the money. I've blogged about it with a somewhat lesser degree of diplomacy (at times) but I'm a nobody so that doesn't matter :D

As things stand right now I don't envy anyone under pressure to come up with a full review. What can they say that hasn't been said already?

As such I wouldn't mind waiting for the next 'big step' firmware update or the one that majors on autofocus before the full review - or just a comprehensive review on what the new firmware brings to the show.

I too am surprised that @Steve should anticipate fewer views on such a review, although he surely knows the viewing history of his own channel. But I'm surprised in that his reviews do not resemble other reviews. I'm not into bashing channels and there are a lot of channels I like, for different reasons. (I go to Gerald Undone for lab reviews, Dustin Abbott for extensive gear review, or Stefano Ianiro and Mark Smith for more birding-focused content.) But no one that I know offers, on such a high level, Steve's combination of (1) in-depth assessment of the tech, (2) application to wildlife, and (3) focus on the experience in the field. In addition, Steve does what I wish all reviewers would do, which is to carefully plan the videos so that no time gets lost in throat-cleaning or digressions, and we get lots of clear info without need overlong videos.
The one exception I know (and I hope it's alright to make this kind of recommendation here) is a recent channel by Simon d'Entremont (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH6acC9jnug-mI4vdGvuDbA/videos). It's really extraordinary in the ways Steve's channel is, and it deserves more followers.

I too am surprised that @Steve should anticipate fewer views on such a review, although he surely knows the viewing history of his own channel. But I'm surprised in that his reviews do not resemble other reviews. I'm not into bashing channels and there are a lot of channels I like, for different reasons. (I go to Gerald Undone for lab reviews, Dustin Abbott for extensive gear review, or Stefano Ianiro and Mark Smith for more birding-focused content.) But no one that I know offers, on such a high level, Steve's combination of (1) in-depth assessment of the tech, (2) application to wildlife, and (3) focus on the experience in the field. In addition, Steve does what I wish all reviewers would do, which is to carefully plan the videos so that no time gets lost in throat-cleaning or digressions, and we get lots of clear info without need overlong videos.
The one exception I know (and I hope it's alright to make this kind of recommendation here) is a recent channel by Simon d'Entremont (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH6acC9jnug-mI4vdGvuDbA/videos). It's really extraordinary in the ways Steve's channel is, and it deserves more followers.
Keep in mind that I'm not looking at just the number of views, but also how many views I'll get for the time I spend. In the case of a full Z9 review, I could get at least three other videos out for the same amount of time invested, netting me far more views for the same amount of work.

I am thinking of a little different approach this time though, based on the comments here.

It's coming, probably in Sept. I've had workshops all summer and no time for long videos like that. Also, I've added something like 120 pages to the AF book (mostly for the Z9) and the Z9 Setup guide I've been working on is over 300 pages. It's a lot of work and haven't given me much time for reviews.

That, and at this point I'm actually surprised anyone still wants a review. There's a LOT of them out there! TBH I'm a little worried that I'll spend 50+ hours putting it together and it won't get that many views. Review videos are a losing proposition for me because of how I do them, so I have a tendency to put the off. For the time it takes for a single review video, I can put out two or three normal videos and, collectively, have a lot more views.
Take your sweet time. You are very gifted and well respected. Keep up the good work!

Keep in mind that I'm not looking at just the number of views, but also how many views I'll get for the time I spend. In the case of a full Z9 review, I could get at least three other videos out for the same amount of time invested, netting me far more views for the same amount of work.

I am thinking of a little different approach this time though, based on the comments here.
That’s the way I would go…skip the basics like this many buttons and talk about how it solves problems for you. Although you’re clearly far better t this wildlife photography thing than me…our thought processes are similar and I really like your more focused videos myself.

Apparently I am in the minority but I am finding the gear reviews to be repetitive and tedious. Lately, I just pass them by. It seems that a number of good vlog photographers have started substituting gear reviews in place of their usual creative content.

So, given a choice between learning creative techniques or getting ideas for places to travel and watching a gear review I will go with the former.

I would like to see your review of the camera, though I already have one so it will not impact what I purchase. As you point out, 9-10 months after launch, everyone has made their mind up about this camera.

Shorter reviews, tips and tricks would be much more useful.

I would point out that a lot of people here in the UK at least, could not get the Z9 and still cannot get it. From my point of view, I am waiting for Steve's review to make the final call on buying the camera or not. I have a basic idea, having read a lot about it and watched a lot of videos, but I want an in deep review from a wildlife photographer as wildlife is all I do after all. So, from my point of view, he can take all the time he wants, probably better than rushing out there a video. Still relevant in my opinion and not only relevant, needed.

With all that you do, I would think people would understand that a review of the Z9 at this time would be a losing proposition for you in terms of the effort involved vs views. Rest assured, we will read what you have to say and after the myriad reviews that have already come out, I would be surprised if your review differed in any large or meaningful way with those reviews already written. The Z9 Reference Guide is over 200 pages and the number of "Bells & Whistles" on this camera are obscene (in a good way); perhaps a short video on the features you like the best ... assuming you could get them all into a short video. ;)

Is the Z9 set up guide available or are you still working on it? I have my Z9 in a box waiting as the are the best!!

Back