Steve Perry's review of the Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The guide and review are still in progress. Unfortunately, my mother passed away a couple weeks ago and that has delayed everything I'm working on (the Z9 review and the setup guide). It's really been a rough year. I hope to be back on track by the end of the month and posting more regularly - and getting the book out. It's frustratingly close to finished, just no time to work on it. I can't wait to share it - I think it'll clear up a LOT of the confusion I see here and elsewhere about the Z9 :)
Condolences.

Funny everyone is in a hurry for his review but rapidly coming up on a year the Z9 has been out and you’d still can’t buy one from pretty much any dealer with any consistency.

Last edited:
The guide and review are still in progress. Unfortunately, my mother passed away a couple weeks ago and that has delayed everything I'm working on (the Z9 review and the setup guide). It's really been a rough year. I hope to be back on track by the end of the month and posting more regularly - and getting the book out. It's frustratingly close to finished, just no time to work on it. I can't wait to share it - I think it'll clear up a LOT of the confusion I see here and elsewhere about the Z9 :)
Steve, I am really sorry to hear this. It is a reminder to each of us how fragile and short life is. I am sure she is in a better place and you are blessed to have such an amazing wife and family. It is never easy and please know that each of us is here to support you and if there is anything I can do to help please ask.

agreed that there is little need for another Z 9 review. Years ago, there was the acronym, I think I am getting this correct, AYACC - And Yet Another C Compiler. We could have AYAZ9R.

Yes an in depth discussion of how to set up the Z 9 would be helpful. Not simply set it this way, but if you use Wide Area Large the AF system will perform better than in these type of situations versus perhaps Dynamic area. Or only use dynamic area in these cases ..

I agree totally. The Z9 has been out for a year and we already have two excellent reviews, one by Thom Hogan and another by Spencer Cox at Photolife. The time for another review has passed, but there is still room for Steve's book. Thom has an excellent e-book on the Z9, but a different perspective by Steve would be most welcome. The learning curve for using the Z9 is rather steep andanother resource would be helpful.

Cheers,

Bill

I agree totally. The Z9 has been out for a year and we already have two excellent reviews, one by Thom Hogan and another by Spencer Cox at Photolife. The time for another review has passed, but there is still room for Steve's book. Thom has an excellent e-book on the Z9, but a different perspective by Steve would be most welcome. The learning curve for using the Z9 is rather steep andanother resource would be helpful.

Cheers,

Bill
Thom e-book is, IMO, an expanded detailed reference manual. Great if you need details about the camera but not very helpful if you trying to decide how to configure your Z9 for different types of shooting.

Thom e-book is, IMO, an expanded detailed reference manual. Great if you need details about the camera but not very helpful if you trying to decide how to configure your Z9 for different types of shooting.
I agree, and I will purchase Steve's book immediately when it comes out later this month.

Bill

It's getting closer :)

Also, one of the reasons it's taking a bit longer is that it started off as just a setup guide and, based on comments I've seen over the summer and what I experienced with my workshops, it's turned into sort of a setup and usage guide for wildlife. I talk about what settings I use and how and why I use them, usually with examples, sometimes multiple examples.

Also, one of the reasons it's taking a bit longer is that it started off as just a setup guide and, based on comments I've seen over the summer and what I experienced with my workshops, it's turned into sort of a setup and usage guide for wildlife. I talk about what settings I use and how and why I use them, usually with examples, sometimes multiple examples.
Wunderbar!

I agree totally. The Z9 has been out for a year and we already have two excellent reviews, one by Thom Hogan and another by Spencer Cox at Photolife. The time for another review has passed, but there is still room for Steve's book. Thom has an excellent e-book on the Z9, but a different perspective by Steve would be most welcome. The learning curve for using the Z9 is rather steep and another resource would be helpful.

Cheers,

Bill
Food for thought. There are so many cookbooks relating to the same recipe! Why, because each chef has his/her own take on how it should be prepared. Photography is no different. Steve, is a master chef, to say the least.

Bon Appétit,

Harold

Steve, sorry to hear about your mom.

Looking forward to the book, you are a very good teacher! I have said several times on this site that I would never buy a Z9 or any other flagship camera. Then I did, two weeks with the Z9, about 3000 images, lots of practice and study but I'm getting there. I shoot a lot of sports, which is an advantage, a lot of volleyball games these days. I setup/configure, shoot a game, evaluate, change the setup a little, shoot another game. I used to dread the 6 game tournament days but honestly they have been beneficial in helping me learn the Z9. I don't have this opportunity with wildlife so I need to rely more on other's experiences and suggestions to help me speed up the learning. I appreciate your efforts to provide great instruction. The more you find yourself in shooting situations that you haven't experienced before the more you need to know the settings and exactly what they do.

There is always a "gotcha" setting with any new camera. The Z9 has "b4 - Matrix metering face detection" which in many situation would be useful, but for a football game with helmets and tinted face shields things really go haywire with exposure.

Real sad to hear about your irreparable loss Steve. Please take care & wish you all the best

Very sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences. Take care Steve..

Oh man, so very sorry to hear about your Mom Steve! Condolences to you and your family!

I offer my sympathies to you and your family, Steve.

Back