Strap or No Strap šŸ¤”

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think photographers are using camera straps a lot less than they did 50-60 years ago. Iā€™m not sure why some prefer carrying their expensive camera precariously by the lens barrel or the right side of the body. It might be that backpacks and speciality bags have come into vogue and straps are not thought to be necessary now. One possibility is that Nikon, Canon, Sony, et al. have included ridiculously wide and obnoxious logo emblazoned cargo belts as camera straps.ā€¦ā€¦ to advertise their product. I for one think the factory straps are hideous, not useful, and advertise to ā€œneā€˜er do wellsā€ you have a valuable gadget.
Iā€™ve been using camera straps since the 60ā€™s when they were basically useless rubbery 3/8ā€ after-thoughts. They were absolute junk. Some, like Canon, provided skinny leather straps with a chrome buckle to adjust length. Iā€™m not sure when the camera makers inflated their straps to ā€œtruck cargo specsā€ but they continue to be usless for my needsā€¦šŸ˜’
I became accustomed to using a camera strap in Vietnam on a daily basis. Dropping the camera from a helicopter or in a rice paddy would be disastrous. So I came up with a way to wrap a shorter strap around my hand that insured security. In a situation that needed both hands I could just let go and it was tethered to my wrist.
For whatever reason, I continue to hold my cameras in this fashion. I think it helps stabilize the camera in my handā€¦. just an anomaly of the way I shoot. I eventually found a strap I absolutely love. Itā€™s the Domke ā€œGripperā€. Itā€™s 1ā€ wide, woven material with rubber stitching on one side. It also has detachable hooksā€¦.
I see Steve and others carrying their cameras by a lens foot or simply gripping the body. Old habits are hard to break for me so Iā€™ll continue using a strap. Iā€™ve had situations when I didnā€™t want to put the camera down in snow or nasty stuff. The strap lets me hang it somewhereā€¦. Are others using straps?
View attachment 76233

View attachment 76234
Iā€™m with you Larry. I always have a strap around my neck. Actually a shoulder strap. Too much of an investment not to, at least from my perspective. Sometimes it can be annoying but you get use to it. I use a Sun Sniper should strap attached to the lens foot. While walking I carry the camera similar to carrying a rifle, Daniel Boone style. It is cradled in the crock of my arm. The strap is used as a safety precaution and also for when i need to do something hands freed.

Last edited:
I agree with Wotan1.
Whatever your level of fitness, and age can be a big factor, I find a backpack with the load well balanced on the hips enables up to twice as much weight to be carried at least twice as far.
A relative disadvantage of larger backpacks is it takes a little longer to get to your camera equipment, offset by being able to get to more and sometimes better photographic locations in a single outing. Many recent backpacks have the bonus of a fitting for a water bottle for refreshment part way round.
Thanks Len!

Iā€™m with you Larry. I always have a strap around my neck. Actually a shoulder strap. Too much of an investment not to, at least from my perspective. Sometimes it can be annoying but you get use to it. I use a Sun Sniper should strap attached to the lens foot. While walking I carry the camera similar to carrying a rifle, Daniel Boone style. It is cradled in the crock of my arm. The strap is used as a safety precaution and also for when i need to do something hands freed.
Thanks for the input Ralphā€¦.wait a minute..you shoot from your car!šŸ¤£ā€¦ā€¦..just messing with yo!

I finally got tired of neck straps getting in the way and switched to wrist straps just as a safety factors. I don't just hand carry the camera because sometimes I need two hands and let the camera dangle from the wrist strap also the strap makes it less likely I'll drop the camera.. Two straps made of parachute cord came as a set for a low price and work very well.

I used to hate straps and when getting a new body one the first things I did was removing these little rattling triangles.

These days, however, I became a happy user of the Peak Design system, because I wnated to have the straps removable / interchangeable. I find it really useful and versatile. Beside the standard use on the camera itself I found it especially useful to mount the little plate that comes with the straps on the upper side of the tripod feet of my longer lenses (Z 100-400, Z 180-600, requires a 1/4" thread going through the entire foot). When walking around / hiking and shooting handheld, the tripod foot is turned to the upper side of the lens and with the the strap in "sling position" the combo hangs nicely balanced and safe on your hip, because the point where the Peak plate is mounted is normally really close to the center of gravity of the combo. I wouldn't do that with a big heavy prime liek my 500 f4, but for the lighter walkaround type of lens it's more than o.k

Larry,
I totally agree with you. I know that I'll get lots of flack for saying this, but in my opinion, several photographers think that if they put on a neck strap, they'll be considered as 'amateurs'. In my over 45 years of photography experience, I have seen photographers drop their cameras, but still, several of them, don't learn. They give all sorts of weird explanations for not using a neck strap. If the strap was not necessary, why would the camera manufacturers give you one? A good friend of mine (who is also an 'anti-neck strap' guy) once told me that he doesn't want to do free publicity for the camera brand (as the maker's name is boldly printed on the strap). I asked him why he doesn't put a black tape over the name on the camera body as well?

If you are ashamed to have a neck strap over your neck, you could at least attach a hand-strap and use it!

Though my comments may offend some of us, let me assure you that it is not the intension. Please don't start a war over it.

Both Peak Design Slide Lite and Cuff for my Z8. No big lenses, otherwise I would use the Slide.
The Cuff is like a seat belt. If I just pick up the camera, I make sure to use the Cuff--because who knows? The PD system makes it simple to change out.
I still have my Black Rapid Sport Breathe, but switched over to PD for the ease of use. I generally do not have a strap connected when the camera is in my everyday sling 10L.

I use a cross-body strap (I have both a Luma Labs and a BlackRapid) that has a QD connector. I also use an L-bracket with a QD socket. This makes it really easy to connect and disconnect the strap.

Larry,
I totally agree with you. I know that I'll get lots of flack for saying this, but in my opinion, several photographers think that if they put on a neck strap, they'll be considered as 'amateurs'. In my over 45 years of photography experience, I have seen photographers drop their cameras, but still, several of them, don't learn. They give all sorts of weird explanations for not using a neck strap. If the strap was not necessary, why would the camera manufacturers give you one? A good friend of mine (who is also an 'anti-neck strap' guy) once told me that he doesn't want to do free publicity for the camera brand (as the maker's name is boldly printed on the strap). I asked him why he doesn't put a black tape over the name on the camera body as well?

If you are ashamed to have a neck strap over your neck, you could at least attach a hand-strap and use it!

Though my comments may offend some of us, let me assure you that it is not the intension. Please don't start a war over it.

For me a neck strap is both uncomfortable and makes my neck ache. With a sling style strap I hardly know I an carrying a camera.

I use a Black Rapid shoulder strap at present (have both a left hand and right hand one) but I was considering the Kirk QD strap and wondered if anyone had experience with QD straps and plates ? Sadly again, the Kirk QD strap (which allows dual or single camera attachment) is not available in the UK. But I wondered about the QD attachment and wondered how secure the connection method actually is - say with a long lens on the camera. Anyone out there have experience with the QD support method that could offer advice ?
Richard

I have been using UP Strap on my D500 I think they are based in Florida have a patent on the design use miliary grade Kevlar I called them before buying mine tey went through what camera I would be using it on and what lens. I use a Tamron G2 !50 -600 for wildlife he figured the weight and recommended a strap for that combination so it works for all my lens. Shutterbug did a review on their product check it out I can tell you the shoulder pad does not slide even on nylon type jackets

I love the Peak Design shoulder straps and wrist strap. The wrist strap is barely noticeable but gives me a sense of security when I'm carrying the camera in my right hand. No way I can inadvertently drop the camera. I've also been using the MagPul Dual QD Sling GEN2 that provides either a single or double point of QD connection, The double connection is great if I want to spread the load between the QD connector on the foot of a heavy lens and a QD connector on the L-plate attached to the camera body. The MagPul is designed for firearms (which initially put me off since I was going to use it for my camera), but it actually works quite well. Not as slick as the Peak Design products, but very functional.

Both Peak Design Slide Lite and Cuff for my Z8. No big lenses, otherwise I would use the Slide.
The Cuff is like a seat belt. If I just pick up the camera, I make sure to use the Cuff--because who knows? The PD system makes it simple to change out.
I still have my Black Rapid Sport Breathe, but switched over to PD for the ease of use. I generally do not have a strap connected when the camera is in my everyday sling 10L.
I wonder how big lenses would be carriedā€¦for heavier lenses using the lens foot for the strap is recommendedā€¦so use The base plate on the foot and both ends of the Slide connect to it? That would remove the keep it close to body and immobile when walking but one on the foot and the other on t(embody seems it would overstress the lens mount. I use BR straps myself, usually the double one.ā€¦but f9r smaller lenses like the 24-120 or other non foot lenses the strap goes to the L bracket.

Like camera bags and packs I've bought a lot of straps. What do I use? Home made paracord wrist straps. Being on trails in the woods and just out I have found they work for me and have saved the cameras more than once.

Attachments

• paracord strap.jpg
    paracord strap.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 44
Larry,

šŸ˜‚No wars! No, just exchanging info, equipment and routinesā€¦ I do NOT hang a camera around my neck normally and never with teles. Just seeing how others use or donā€™t use strapsā€¦.

I can hand hold a Z9 w/500pf lens all day long. I find that the normal camera mfg strap only gets in the way. If I had a heavier setup or injury keeping me from doing that, I'd use a strap (non-factory) such as the Blackrapid.

Yes to a hand or wrist strap. It has always been my way of carrying the camera when out of the bag - with a shoulder sling as secondary option unless I carry a long lens - then the sling becomes primary.

I had camera straps always on until I came across Peak Design straps. It is so easy to put it on and off so you can use it only if you need an extra protection or you need both hands to get to the right spot. I never put on a strap if I have a long lens.

For whats its worth I use one for walking around stuff. Used the Black Rapid for a while but in the end found it a faff and got fed up with the banging around so ditched it. Took the plunge and bought the Peak Design strap for Ā£60, but although I intially wondered what I had done have had absolutley no regrets, its perfect for me and probably wonā€™t need to buy another unless I do something daft šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Extra insurance, a number of years ago while photographing the crowded streets in Tokyo I changed lenses from a TF to a WA zoom, the QD n my Magpie strap was QD attached to the TF foot, I was holding the TF foot while releasing it from the camera with no attachment causing the camera to drop to the ground fortunately on my BP. Since then when using long heavy TF's The magpie is attached via QD to both the camera and lens plus a short hand strap on the camera lug.

Back