Strap or No Strap šŸ¤”

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use a camera strap, most of the time, taking. it off when a long lens is attached to a monopod or a camera is attached to a tripod. I prefer Peak Design because they don't leave a long piece on the camera body. I also use Black Rapid sling straps. Best of luck.

I think photographers are using camera straps a lot less than they did 50-60 years ago. Iā€™m not sure why some prefer carrying their expensive camera precariously by the lens barrel or the right side of the body. It might be that backpacks and speciality bags have come into vogue and straps are not thought to be necessary now. One possibility is that Nikon, Canon, Sony, et al. have included ridiculously wide and obnoxious logo emblazoned cargo belts as camera straps.ā€¦ā€¦ to advertise their product. I for one think the factory straps are hideous, not useful, and advertise to ā€œneā€˜er do wellsā€ you have a valuable gadget.
Iā€™ve been using camera straps since the 60ā€™s when they were basically useless rubbery 3/8ā€ after-thoughts. They were absolute junk. Some, like Canon, provided skinny leather straps with a chrome buckle to adjust length. Iā€™m not sure when the camera makers inflated their straps to ā€œtruck cargo specsā€ but they continue to be usless for my needsā€¦šŸ˜’
I became accustomed to using a camera strap in Vietnam on a daily basis. Dropping the camera from a helicopter or in a rice paddy would be disastrous. So I came up with a way to wrap a shorter strap around my hand that insured security. In a situation that needed both hands I could just let go and it was tethered to my wrist.
For whatever reason, I continue to hold my cameras in this fashion. I think it helps stabilize the camera in my handā€¦. just an anomaly of the way I shoot. I eventually found a strap I absolutely love. Itā€™s the Domke ā€œGripperā€. Itā€™s 1ā€ wide, woven material with rubber stitching on one side. It also has detachable hooksā€¦.
I see Steve and others carrying their cameras by a lens foot or simply gripping the body. Old habits are hard to break for me so Iā€™ll continue using a strap. Iā€™ve had situations when I didnā€™t want to put the camera down in snow or nasty stuff. The strap lets me hang it somewhereā€¦. Are others using straps?
View attachment 76233

View attachment 76234
You only need to fall or drop your camera and lens once and you will be cured of doubting a straps purpose.

They have a purpose and if it fits that purpose then good and well.

If t doesn't then also good and well, go with out it.

I have a strap that has a large soft wet suit like materiel for around your shoulder of neck making it incredibly comfortable to use, it also has 2 clips for fast removal from the camera.

When climbing in the Forrest and i often need three points of contact, i need to have my hands or at least one hand free just for a moment, this is what i mean about fit for purpose.

There are hundreds of examples, one in particular is sitting backwards on a motor bike press covering a cycle event, you have absolutely no excuse for not wearing a strap.

For a camera with a small 50mm lens only or the 14-24 for paparazzi shoots i like a wrist strap, i have been bumped to many times in crowds running on adrenal-en, especially when i am pushing and shoving as well.

It all depends on what you doing as to a strap being of purpose.

Only an opinion

I use a loose hand strap on my camera body all the time that is attached to a RRS L-Plate. I also use a Peak Design sling strap or the Magpul QD sling sold by RRS depending on how heavy the lens is. Both the RRS L-Plate and Lens Foot have QD sockets so it's quick and simple to attach and remove the Magpul sling.

I do not use a strap 99% of the time. I might use one maybe once or twice a year, on a good year. I lost a nice video camera years ago because the strap caught on something while taking it out of my canoe, which jerked it out of my hand and into the water = total loss. I've also had straps catch on branches, sticks, whatever, so I removed all straps on every body maybe 15 years ago and do not regret it at all.

As well as catching on stuff, they also catch wind if your camera is on a tripod and transfer some shake to your camera (I shoot 85% landscapes so my camera is on my tripod 90% of the time.

I do attach Peak Design Anchors on each body so I can quickly attach a strap or harness if I choose to, and I recommend them highly even though they're kinda crazy expensive for what they are. They work great.
PD links.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have been using UP Strap on my D500 I think they are based in Florida have a patent on the design use miliary grade Kevlar I called them before buying mine tey went through what camera I would be using it on and what lens. I use a Tamron G2 !50 -600 for wildlife he figured the weight and recommended a strap for that combination so it works for all my lens. Shutterbug did a review on their product check it out I can tell you the shoulder pad does not slide even on nylon type jackets

I was looking at these as I know people who use them and they all love them, but I wanted one for carrying a shoulder bag and they have never made one that is rated for the weight of a bag.

I can't understand why.

I do not use a strap 99% of the time. I might use one maybe once or twice a year, on a good year. I lost a nice video camera years ago because the strap caught on something while taking it out of my canoe, which jerked it out of my hand and into the water = total loss. I've also had straps catch on branches, sticks, whatever, so I removed all straps on every body maybe 15 years ago and do not regret it at all.

As well as catching on stuff, they also catch wind if your camera is on a tripod and transfer some shake to your camera (I shoot 85% landscapes so my camera is on my tripod 90% of the time.

I do attach Peak Design Anchors on each body so I can quickly attach a strap or harness if I choose to, and I recommend them highly even though they're kinda crazy expensive for what they are. They work great.
View attachment 76554
Bill, I appreciate the pictures you sent of the wrist gizmo.. Iā€™ve been ā€œad-libbingā€ a regular neck strap for 50+ years as a wrist/hand strap.. Certainly looks simpler than what Iā€™ve been doingā€¦. Thanks!

I use the Nikon 600 6.3, and a 100-400 5.6. Since I am continuously using longer telephotos I use a Blackrapid cross body strap that screws into the tripod foot on the lens. I have an attachment from FLM that they don't sell anymore that allows me to have access to the tripod mount still, this set up works great for me. I have seen many people lately walking around carrying their camera by the lens foot only and it makes me so anxious LOL! I am entirely too clumsy to risk carrying equipment I rely on, and that is so expensive to fix or replace, by hand in the wild!

I use a JJC hand strap that also fastens around my wrist if I'm not walking too far and use a cotton carrier when out for a long day or hike. The exception is with my 200-500 and I use the lens foot then. The problem is I ended up with tendinitis once when I carried it for 4+ hours. Haven't found anything I like for carrying that lens yet.

Since the beginning of the year I have been using a cross body strap when I go for my walks with the 180-600 (previously the 200-500)
It's comfortable to walk with and the camera is super quick in front of my eye when I spot something.
There are many different manufacturers who all have the same system. Simply choose one based on your preferences and the country where you live.

When I'm traveling without a telephoto lense, I have a strap from Smallrig with a quick release on the Camara body

Last edited:
Since the beginning of the year I have been using a cross body strap when I go for my walks with the 180-600
It's comfortable to walk with and the camera is super quick in front of my eye when I spot something

When I'm traveling without a telephoto, I have a strap from Smallrig with a quick release on the Camara body

Looks good Mark! I will take a closer look at this system also. There has been a lot of great suggestions from those that have actually used the product.

I have been using UP Strap on my D500 I think they are based in Florida have a patent on the design use miliary grade Kevlar I called them before buying mine tey went through what camera I would be using it on and what lens. I use a Tamron G2 !50 -600 for wildlife he figured the weight and recommended a strap for that combination so it works for all my lens. Shutterbug did a review on their product check it out I can tell you the shoulder pad does not slide even on nylon type jackets
not saying these are not tough, but i thought the fibers in kevlar and similar type materials broke down over time with bending and it seems like a strap is going to bend a lot

Love this forum learned another thing new today.

I have personally preferred the blackrapid straps for carrying heavy gear. They are simply more comfortable because they keep the weight on the shoulder instead of neck. What I did not like is the need to put these big hooks onto everything.

Now I leaned about the QD connector. It mounts flush so I no longer have to deal with that big hook.

Solves the problem. Just make sure you have a lens plate or camera plate that has a slot for qd connector.

Like many, I use a BlackRapid shoulder sling, but modified with a QD connector. I have an aftermarket Arca lens foot with a QD receptacle for my Nikon 400mm f4.5 lens. That way I can carry the lens via the shoulder strap but when I want to use a tripod for video, the QD can be quickly released and the foot mounted into the tripod.

I also have a small, quick release safety strap between one of the camera's triangle mounts and the strap. I feel very confident about the QD connector, but there's always human error!

Finally, I considered a dual QD system or the dual Peak Design anchors, but that doubles the chance of human error (and I've read that attaching a strap to both the lens foot and the camera base plate can cause needless stress on the lens mount/connection).

p.s. for 5+ mile hikes, I use a Cotton Carrier chest harness plus a quick-release safety strap. I typically don't use the actual chest connection. I just hang the lens foot on the top part of the harness. That brings the center of gravity closer to me. The chest harness gives me the most freedom of movement and frees up both arms. With a shoulder strap I typically walk with one hand resting on the camera so it doesn't swing around so much. That's fine when slowing moving, but the chest harness excels when on the move.

Edit: I wanted to mention that I have the 2 camera model of the chest harness and clip my binoculars to the 2nd camera attachment.

Last edited:
Finally, I considered a dual QD system or the dual Peak Design anchors, but that doubles the chance of human error (and I've read that attaching a strap to both the lens foot and the camera base plate can cause needless stress on the lens mount/connection).
I had not heard that dual-strapping (to lens foot and camera base plate) was an undue stress on the lens mount. Makes sense though. Will modify my approach - appreciate this new (to me) thought.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 8.46.19ā€ÆAM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 8.46.19ā€ÆAM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 8.57.51ā€ÆAM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 8.57.51ā€ÆAM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Most of the time I donā€™t have a strap on the camera, but it really depends on the situation. I use the peak design setup so I can quickly change the strap layout or remove it. I occasionally use a black rapid strap too. When the camera is not being used, I take the strap off. Main reason is to prevent the issue mentioned above where the strap catches something and causes the camera to fall.

Back