Struggling with Z8 focus tracking

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For situations like this where you need to quickly get off the background and back onto the subject, that's why I keep my AF lock-on set to 5.
Just to clarify: have you set that to Delayed (5) or Quick (1)? Based on my understanding "to quickly get off the background and back to onto the subject" would require to set the BAFSR to 1 and not 5.

1729445832426.png

Something is certainly strange! I am about to pass 500,000 images on my Z9 and most of those are shooting a variety of sports and I just haven't been disappointed with the AF. The AF has behaved as expected, there are some challenging situations but I can usually adapt the AF accordingly. I certainly wouldn't think the Z8 AF would perform that much differently than the Z9. I hope you find a solution.
Strange indeed. As I noted in my response to Cameron, there are two very different experiences people are reporting in terms of some of the basic functionality. For instance, in this thread alone there is you and a few others who have not experienced any of this, but there are in addition to myself another three or four people who have said they have had similar experiences to myself, and this is consistent with the same pattern I've seen over hundreds if not thousands of posts (and videos) I've seen of people discussing the same sorts of things.

That is strange as well. I ran FoCal tests on many different lenses on my DSLRs and Z cameras. The only time I would have to restart tests for poor repeatability was if I was trying to test outdoors with a long focal length and lighting was changing.

Since you like DPR, I might encourage you to follow one thread on the Z forum where a fashion pro couldn't get his Z9 to reliably focus for SI swimsuit models.
I saw the thread - and regard it as what in the UK would be called "cheesecake" subject matter.
I do appreciate that you admit there are shortcomings - most users don't.
I know there can be limitations with Sony and Canon as well as Nikon
It's not user error, or lack of familiarity either.
I note what you say.
Having shot photography since the 1970's, I'm more than capable at working around "deficiencies" and do my best to make things work.
My photography goes back to 1963.
Pardon my amazement at how the af system of a flagship camera falls apart in several common scenarios
Not for me.
As an example I photographed a jazz festival in the local church this afternoon - the first time I have done anything like less since pre-Covid. For those raising eyebrows there was a gospel choir for morning service.
Less than 3% of images were out of focus this afternoon, though about 5% were in much lower light on Friday.
Jazz festival 3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Jazz festival 1.jpg

Jazz festival 2.jpg

Back